• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

changing focus

50 posts in this topic

question. i'm always reading how someone is changing there collection focus.

are you all selling what you had been collecting prior to changing you focus?

or are you just putting it on the back burner keeping it in your collection and

maybe you will finish it at a later date?

(shrug)

I think this depends on the price level of the focus.

I changed focus several months back into collecting golden age books and I sold most of my silver age books to be able to buy the golden age.

Had they of been books under say $50 I probably wouldn't have bothered selling them.

finish it at a later date, for me...

I just hope this isn't the case with my spideys

I got back on the wagon in early '04 and this is the longest

I have stayed on the finishing track in a long time.

I hope to finish my run once and for all.

:wishluck:

Ken,

My main focus for a solid year has been DC War Books and I'm

still slowly trying to replace some books I sold last year. If I see

books I had before when I sold off my big Spidey collection for my

Vet bills then I will grab them hopefully at a good price.

Doing this I'm only a few books away agiain on my Cap 100 to

250 run I nearly had complete before my sell off. The Spideys

are coming along a lot more slowly due to funds. If I change my

collecting focus I don't think I would sell any books and I hate

selling my precious books.

The only real focus I have is my Adams Batmans and Tecs, but otherwise I go on "binges" where I accumulate a small collection of books for the challenge and sell them off to chase something else that catches my attention. Last year it was early SA DCs in high grade at the beginning of the year, but by December they were gone. Then I started buying ECs, and I will continue to do so when I see something I like for a bit.

Now I was looking at compiling a nice run of SA keys/early issues for most major Marvel (and some DC) titles, but after talking with a part time dealer/broker at the local con yesterday I am hopefully going to be starting off with some nice GA books (DC and Timely) instead.

Same here, no focus = a relaxed collector :cloud9:

Well ... or as for me, narrow focus kept in check = less time buying & more time enjoying lately :cloud9:

You GA collectors are all the same :baiting:

Same here, no focus = a relaxed collector :cloud9:

Well ... or as for me, narrow focus kept in check = less time buying & more time enjoying lately :cloud9:

You GA collectors are all the same :baiting:

Not true :sumo:

Prove it :baiting:

Same boat here - once my collection was big enough, I made it a self-financing hobby whereas I won't really buy anything new unless I sell something else to pay for it. I've switched from buying SA, to BA, now to GA. I do end up keeping most of my favorite books (or those that are not easily replacable), but I find it's a more enjoyable hobby if I try out different ages/genres, and it's affordable if I basically "trade" for new pieces for the collection. (thumbs u

I had a discussion with a dealer at a local show about this same topic. For me, having a focus is a double-edged sword. I do have very difficult time buying sometimes and pass on some good deals here and there because I think to myself how I could be spending that money on filling gaps in my run. On one hand, while I only have about 4 long boxes of comics, I genuinely like over 95% of them or more and have a difficult time justifying the sale of any of them (the other 5% being doubles I AM trying to sell in order to trim the fat). It also makes shopping much easier because there is a LOT less to keep track of- ASM or UXM and that's about it (unless it's a tie in book like GS XM 1, etc).

i’m real tempted at times to change my collecting focus. especially being on these boards and seeing all the sweet books.

but i’m torn cause i don’t want to sell anything i have, my good stuff anyways.

when it’s all said and done and my son has grown up i hope to have a super large diversified collection to pass on to him.

i guess it’s just going to take a long time. :(

Jim,

That is exactly how I feel. In '93 I sold a 30 long box collection and now I don't plan on having more than 2 or 3 boxes this time around. I think if I keep it that way it will equal high quality.

The only real focus I have is my Adams Batmans and Tecs, but otherwise I go on "binges" where I accumulate a small collection of books for the challenge and sell them off to chase something else that catches my attention. Last year it was early SA DCs in high grade at the beginning of the year, but by December they were gone. Then I started buying ECs, and I will continue to do so when I see something I like for a bit.

Now I was looking at compiling a nice run of SA keys/early issues for most major Marvel (and some DC) titles, but after talking with a part time dealer/broker at the local con yesterday I am hopefully going to be starting off with some nice GA books (DC and Timely) instead.

hm