• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JC, Greggy, Doc Watson and drbanner BANNED!

208 posts in this topic

Amazing Spider-Man wasn't distributed to the UK throughout most of the 70s, I started reading Marvels in 1974, and the first pence copy I recall buying from a newsstand would be Spectacular Spider-Man 1.

I have some UK Spider-Man Comics Weekly comics from the mid-1970s.

[/url]

:)

Yup. This was the reason that original American colour copies of ASM didn't make it to the British newsstand from the mid-70s onwards - so as not to clash with these black-and-white reprints, which were being published by Marvel UK.

Damn reprints! Marvel just loved publishing their backlist in the 1970s.

Question:

Do you remember the first ASM you ever bought off the rack? mine was #101 the 25 center, I though the double sized comic was a great deal back then with my paper route money.

# 24 off the rack. I really liked it.

Missed # 25, but bought # 26 and I was hooked. Spidey quickly became my favorite hero.

...there were months where FF was my favorite book, though.

JIM / Thor had it's moments as well, like # 118-119 ( the Destroyer story), # 134-135 (the High Evolutionary).

And X-Men # 11 (the Stranger), # 12-13 (the Juggernaut), # 14-16 (the Sentinels).

The first Iron Man / Titanium Man saga in TOS and the Cap (the Sleepers then the Cosmic Cube) wasn't too shabby, either.

That period was a great time for a kid to discover Marvel Comics. :whee:

That must have been awesome! That was before 7-11 so where did you buy them? Do you still have a lot of those books? Would love to see a scan of any of those books you first bought if you still have one - just to see the well loved condition.

I know the ones from my earliest days did not get the kind of care necessary to maintain high grades (I mean - when you are 9 or 10-- how many of us think about that stuff?). I recently was able to let go of some of my first bought books though I held onto them even after I got nicer copies pre-1980 to replace them in my runs. Didn't let the ASM 147 go though-- only copy I had.

The first books I bought were from comic racks located in drug stores and the independent convince stores that were around before 7-11 hit our area. There was also a small chain of convenience stores in Florida named U-Tote-M that had comic racks.

My earliest comic buying was at the mercy of my parents.

I made a small weekly allowance, but I was too young to ride my bike to the closest stores. That meant I had to accompany my Mom or Dad if they made a quick trip to the store for milk or bread. Or stopped by the drugstore.

So my earliest buying was sporadic.

Sometime in third grade my bike-riding range was expanded but the stores were still limited. There was even a motel lobby within my range that had a few comics in their magazine rack .

It was like treasure hunting. I never knew where I might find books. I'd walk into a store and ask them if they sold comics.

Some scans of my early Marvel Comics purchases:

-here's FF31, my first FF off the stands:

FF31_zpsucq5ncfb.jpg

my next FF purchase, FF41:

FF41_zpsnvmbsaec.jpg

By now I was hooked. FF42:

FF42_zpsohkcs1kf.jpg

I don't know what happened to my first Spidey off the rack, but here's my second, ASM 26:

ASM26_zpswg3pb2qd.jpg

I was hooked on Spidey as well. Here's ASM27:

ASM27_zpsqonzmexe.jpg

and ASM28:

ASM28_zpsytqcpdbn.jpg

Question:

Do you remember the first ASM you ever bought off the rack? mine was #101 the 25 center, I though the double sized comic was a great deal back then with my paper route money.

Missed # 25, but bought # 26 and I was hooked. Spidey quickly became my favorite hero.

JIM / Thor had it's moments as well, like # 118-119 ( the Destroyer story), # 134-135 (the High Evolutionary).

And X-Men # 11 (the Stranger), # 12-13 (the Juggernaut), # 14-16 (the Sentinels).

The first Iron Man / Titanium Man saga in TOS and the Cap (the Sleepers then the Cosmic Cube) wasn't too shabby, either.

That must have been awesome! That was before 7-11 so where did you buy them? .

7-11's been around since 1946...

hm

Question:

hm

Not in Fla., at least not in my region.

Question:

hm

True....but, you know...nits and all.

Speaking of which, did you know that 7-11 was called "Tote'm Stores" prior to then...?

Question:

hm

True....but, you know...nits and all.

Speaking of which, did you know that 7-11 was called "Tote'm Stores" prior to then...?

We had U-Tote-M in Fla.

Which I believe was different than the Southland Tote'm Stores.

We also had small independent convenience stores, and Zippy Mart may have been around back then.

I do remember, when 7-11 came in it was like gangbusters. Suddenly they were everywhere, capitalizing on the surge of strip malls being built. This was late 1960's, I believe.