• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JC, Greggy, Doc Watson and drbanner BANNED!

208 posts in this topic

RMA Quote:

Whenever I look at that book, I can't help but think about what it must have been like to have been around in June of 1962, and coming across that book on the stands.

I wish I could gather the collective memories of everyone who bought one new.

Question:

Do you remember the first ASM you ever bought off the rack? mine was #101 the 25 center, I though the double sized comic was a great deal back then with my paper route money.

I remember it clearly enough to know that ASM 101 was 15 cents? :shrug:

:gossip: and my memory is terrible.

... he probably meant 102...... and with Moribus and the Lizard both on the cover, who could walk away without it ? GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

How could you say it was 101 and cost 25 cents if it was the first one you ever bought, though?

gob2.jpg

clearly he did not pay for it-- there was a second shooter!
mom was on the grassy knoll? :think:

also-- I always thought 1950's War Comics was a grumpy old man based on his posts.

Now that I think about it, just turning 50-- maybe I too am a grumpy old crusty comic book collector.

meh 50 is the new 12

When you hit 60 though, thats when you are a 14 year old girl

The first ASM I bought at the store was #147. Still have it - pretty well read. I was 9.

Talk about shockingly ironic (unless this is an April fools gag)...

That is the exact same book I bought as my first comic ever

and I still have it...

127433.jpg

127434.jpg

I had Stan sign the indica in 2012.

Small world-- not an April Fools joke either. Here are my scans-- my book has the MVS cut out and no Stan Lee sig.

JcQdmgul.jpg

9uMMP9ll.jpg

and the MVS is #42 Man Wolf second from far left 2nd row....

2lB0Pdbl.jpg

Funniest thing about that book was that is was a sharp cliff hanger ending!

And I rarely ever had a chance to go anywhere to get the next issue or find a place that sold back issues. So it was almost 7 years until I found a 148 to read the obvious...

Spidey survived!!!

lol

also-- I always thought 1950's War Comics was a grumpy old man based on his posts.

Now that I think about it, just turning 50-- maybe I too am a grumpy old crusty comic book collector.

meh 50 is the new 12

When you hit 60 though, thats when you are a 14 year old girl

I would be such a big slut at 60.

The first ASM I bought at the store was #147. Still have it - pretty well read. I was 9.

and I still have it...

127433.jpg

127434.jpg

Small world-- not an April Fools joke either. Here are my scans-- my book has the MVS cut out and no Stan Lee sig.

JcQdmgul.jpg

9uMMP9ll.jpg

and the MVS is #42 Man Wolf second from far left 2nd row....

2lB0Pdbl.jpg

Funniest thing about that book was that is was a sharp cliff hanger ending!

And I rarely ever had a chance to go anywhere to get the next issue or find a place that sold back issues. So it was almost 7 years until I found a 148 to read the obvious...

Spidey survived!!!

lol

Bro--- spoiler alert!

Just kidding-- I bought it the next month myself.

Question:

Do you remember the first ASM you ever bought off the rack? mine was #101 the 25 center, I though the double sized comic was a great deal back then with my paper route money.

# 24 off the rack. I really liked it.

Missed # 25, but bought # 26 and I was hooked. Spidey quickly became my favorite hero.

...there were months where FF was my favorite book, though.

JIM / Thor had it's moments as well, like # 118-119 ( the Destroyer story), # 134-135 (the High Evolutionary).

And X-Men # 11 (the Stranger), # 12-13 (the Juggernaut), # 14-16 (the Sentinels).

The first Iron Man / Titanium Man saga in TOS and the Cap (the Sleepers then the Cosmic Cube) wasn't too shabby, either.

That period was a great time for a kid to discover Marvel Comics. :whee:

Amazing Spider-Man wasn't distributed to the UK throughout most of the 70s, I started reading Marvels in 1974, and the first pence copy I recall buying from a newsstand would be Spectacular Spider-Man 1.

Question:

# 24 off the rack. I really liked it.

Missed # 25, but bought # 26 and I was hooked. Spidey quickly became my favorite hero.

...there were months where FF was my favorite book, though.

JIM / Thor had it's moments as well, like # 118-119 ( the Destroyer story), # 134-135 (the High Evolutionary).

And X-Men # 11 (the Stranger), # 12-13 (the Juggernaut), # 14-16 (the Sentinels).

The first Iron Man / Titanium Man saga in TOS and the Cap (the Sleepers then the Cosmic Cube) wasn't too shabby, either.

That period was a great time for a kid to discover Marvel Comics. :whee:

That must have been awesome! That was before 7-11 so where did you buy them? Do you still have a lot of those books? Would love to see a scan of any of those books you first bought if you still have one - just to see the well loved condition.

I know the ones from my earliest days did not get the kind of care necessary to maintain high grades (I mean - when you are 9 or 10-- how many of us think about that stuff?). I recently was able to let go of some of my first bought books though I held onto them even after I got nicer copies pre-1980 to replace them in my runs. Didn't let the ASM 147 go though-- only copy I had.

I know the ones from my earliest days did not get the kind of care necessary to maintain high grades (I mean - when you are 9 or 10-- how many of us think about that stuff?). I recently was able to let go of some of my first bought books though I held onto them even after I got nicer copies pre-1980 to replace them in my runs. Didn't let the ASM 147 go though-- only copy I had.

The first ASM I bought off the stands I believe was #100. I remember I loaned it to a neighbor kid, and went to get it back. About 30 years ago at a Portland Convention, a guy had three-pack sets of #s 100-102 in NM for something like $5-10 a whack, so I bought replacement copies for those issues. In hindsight, I wish I had bought the guy out.

and I still have it...

127433.jpg

:applause:

The first Marvel comic I ever bought was ASM #148!

I don't have it anymore. :(

However, I still have the very first I ever owned, somewhere, and that's an Adventure Comics #433 featuring the Spectre. Serious reading at the age of 7.

Amazing Spider-Man wasn't distributed to the UK throughout most of the 70s, I started reading Marvels in 1974, and the first pence copy I recall buying from a newsstand would be Spectacular Spider-Man 1.

I have some UK Spider-Man Comics Weekly comics from the mid-1970s.

SpiderManComicsWkly%201973UK-131-031525_zpscqf53leh.jpg

SpiderManComicsWkly%201973UK-133-031526_zpsokxflz5n.jpg

SpiderManComicsWkly%201973UK-140-031528_zpsudjgz2sr.jpg

I'm going to have to guess as its been so long but maybe ASM issue #208? I do recall pretty clearly what it like to walk into my local LCS and see the cover of ASM#238 on the stands, it blew my socks off. Some of the best Spidey issues ever came out then. :cloud9:

I believe the first ASM I ever read was 264-268 from a bunch of multipacks from Toys R Us. 264 through 266 contained some of the dumbest stories I had ever read. 267 was kind of cool because Spider-man went out to Long Island. Then I read 268 and realized that GI Joe was in it. Cool, but then I went back to reading GI Joe.

Flash forward a few years and I hear that Spider-man is getting married. I figured I would try it again. I picked up issue 292 and Annual 21. It was so-so... luckily I said, I would give it one more try and was thrown into Kraven's Last Hunt... That was amazing. From there we went to Life in the Mad Dog War then Doc Ock then McFarlane...

McFarlane... whoa...

It was around 300 that I said, I want them all... and I went back and got every single one...

I have some UK Spider-Man Comics Weekly comics from the mid-1970s.

SpiderManComicsWkly%201973UK-131-031525_zpscqf53leh.jpg

SpiderManComicsWkly%201973UK-133-031526_zpsokxflz5n.jpg

SpiderManComicsWkly%201973UK-140-031528_zpsudjgz2sr.jpg

:)

Yup. This was the reason that original American colour copies of ASM didn't make it to the British newsstand from the mid-70s onwards - so as not to clash with these black-and-white reprints, which were being published by Marvel UK.