• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-men 99 cover

49 posts in this topic

The splash page to #99 was drawn similarly. They decided to extend the art during the inking phase so the image size extends into the borders and is larger than the normal image size. Likely they photostatted this art and shrank it before they added the logo (so there's a good chance that there's a production version of this cover out there somewhere). If you were to add a standard logo from that time period, it wouldn't look quite right. I acutally prefer the art like this without the logo. That way you get to see all of the art.

It's rare to see a New X-Men cover like this surface. Many of those covers seem to be deeply buried in collections, possibly with people that dropped out of the hobby. Last year the #107 and Iron Fist #15 cover surfaced in San Diego which was very exciting to see. Oddly enough you rarely ever see any of the covers from Cockrum's second run either. It's been a long time since one of those was on the market.

Thanks, comiconxion. I appreciate your insight. I have a few pieces of original art of that vintage and they all have the logos and other indicia, so I was curious in this case. Although, it's nice to see the full-sized art, I think I prefer the art that looks more like the published comic book because it's a window into the production process of that era and it looks more like the finished product. This is clearly a great piece and I'd expect it to fetch more than $30,000.

Given that 10 years ago was the early infancy of eBay, I would say this cover would have gone for $3k back in 1998. $5k tops - and that would have been a record price. Ten years ago Cockrum X-Men weren't as desirable as they are today. Back then, the Byrne market was strong, but the Cockrum market wasn't.

I remember having a shot at the #96 cover in the mid-90s for $175 (although that cover was by Sal Buscema). Unfortunately, I passed on it.

I'd estimate this cover selling for $45-60k. This is only the fourth New X-Men cover to surface under issue #101. As far as I know,the covers to #95, 97, 98, 100, and 101 haven't surfaced in years. If you want an early New X-Men cover, this may be your only shot at one for a long time.

Given that 10 years ago was the early infancy of eBay, I would say this cover would have gone for $3k back in 1998. $5k tops - and that would have been a record price. Ten years ago Cockrum X-Men weren't as desirable as they are today. Back then, the Byrne market was strong, but the Cockrum market wasn't.

I remember having a shot at the #96 cover in the mid-90s for $175 (although that cover was by Sal Buscema). Unfortunately, I passed on it.

I'd estimate this cover selling for $45-60k. This is only the fourth New X-Men cover to surface under issue #101. As far as I know,the covers to #95, 97, 98, 100, and 101 haven't surfaced in years. If you want an early New X-Men cover, this may be your only shot at one for a long time.

Does Cockrum own the 94?

Does Cockrum own the 94?

Yes it's buried with him.

No, Cockrum did not own the #94.

I just saw this post - the cover to 94 was for sale in a Buyer's Guide ad in 1980(?) for $200. Have never seen it for sale since then.