• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'm not a professional grader, but...

29 posts in this topic

Could this be the single most irritating phrase in the English language?

"I'm not a professional grader, but..."

But what? But you're going to grade them anyway? Perhaps in language that suggests the comics are mintier than a Trebor Extra Strong Mint whilst leaving room for the possibility that an elephant may have wiped his arse with them?

Not a professional grader? How DARE you try to sell comics on ebay when you're not a professional grader!

Some ways to finish the sentence "I'm not a professional grader, but...

...they look brand new to me when viewed from the top of a ladder."

...my pet dog is, and he says they're top notch."

...I am a professional grifter, and that's very similar."

...neither are you, so you won't know any better right?"

...if I was, I'd grade them all MINT+."

I might start using this phrase as a proviso in all my dealings. e.g. "Did you do the washing up?" "Well, I'm not a professional grader, but yes, yes I did."

What do you expect to say? "I can't grade but me opinion is"? At least they're making their shortcoming known. As long as they have a good return policy then it doesn't bother me.

What irritates me are people who don't even try to assign a grade and say the picture speaks for itself. It happens here on occasion. That's just laziness or in some cases, trying to cover-up flaws. We all know how well basing a grade on a scan can be...

Jim

What irritates me are people who don't even try to assign a grade and say the picture speaks for itself.

Jim

And then post a photo taken from the top of the ladder......,

I'm not a professional grader, but

... I know enough to not undergrade it.

... I know "NM" is the key to a successful auction.

... if I keep the scan **just** small enough some people will gamble on a high grade.

... if I say this it will serve as an escape hatch to absolve me of the sin of grossly overgrading.

What do you expect to say? "I can't grade but me opinion is"? At least they're making their shortcoming known. As long as they have a good return policy then it doesn't bother me.

Fair enough. It just irritates me because it is presented as a get-out-of-jail-free card, so whatever claims they make about the grade that later prove false are OK, because they're not a professional grader.

It's also an extremely redundant statement. How many people in the world when asked their profession would say '[comic] grader'? Well, there's the staff at CGC and... that's about it.

Just because it isn't your job doesn't mean you can't give a well reasoned grade and STAND BY IT. If you can't do that then DON'T GRADE IT.

"I'm not a doctor, but these pills can really help you lose weight!" Ooh gee gimme some of them then!

"Well, I'm not a professional grader, but I can allways ask my buddy robojobo33

BWA-HA-HA-HA-HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Personally, I think "...but my dog is, and he says they're top notch!" is the way to go. I can't for the LIFE of me figure out how some people make their sales based on thumbnail pics.

Go figure.

Although, Nik did pretty damn good with that Ebay gamble on the Amaz. SM 122 he posted.

I'm not a professional grader but my Grandmother said her Uncle's

Stepson called them Minty Fresh and there are still in their original

packages and he only bought them and never read them so they

have never been touched. ALL SALES ARE FINAL.

Outside of the folks at cgc or pgx, are there any professional graders?

As there are no formal examinations or qualifications available, I'd suggest that there are no 'professional' graders.

Unfortunately, there seem to be a sh!teload of unprofessional ones around... :(

"I'm not a professional grader but I think it's a 9.4 easy. The guide for this is around $1500 and it's not had any restoration . . . that I know of. But I don't really know anything about comics. See the scan and determine your own grade. No refunds."

Outside of the folks at cgc or pgx, are there any professional graders?

As there are no formal examinations or qualifications available, I'd suggest that there are no 'professional' graders.

Unfortunately, there seem to be a sh!teload of unprofessional ones around... :(

How about anyone who makes their living off of grading and selling back issue comic books is a professional grader? Lots of 'professions' have no formal examination. Like professional card players.

The term 'I'm not a professional grader, but..." is a cya move just in case someone calls you on your wild bluff.

Dan

I was one of those NOOBS selling books on e-bay five and have

years ago and knew absolutely nothing about comics and just

described every flaw I could see.

After learning more about grading a few years later I started

to assign grades and would still list all the flaws to help the many

experts out there determine their own grade. That and about four

or five close up pictures from different angles.

Although a friend of mine from the UK said my descriptions

were a bit round the house. ;) Do you remember me showing you

my listing of FF 17, Nick?

Even if these many feebay graders that claim not to be experts

there is a way, although not perfect to help a buyer decide if they

want to buy the book and hopefully have no surprises when it

arrives. Of course honesty is a big part of the equation.