• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's going to be the theater's 2008 Big Cash Cow?

What's going to be the theater's 2008 Big Cash Cow?  

462 members have voted

1. 1. What's going to be the theater's 2008 Big Cash Cow?

302 posts in this topic

Its not a done deal. Let's look at this on a weekly basis.

---------------Iron Man------Indy----------Difference------Gap

Week #1---$76.1M------$92.1M------(+$16M)------(+$16M)

Week #2---$86.8M-----$110.8M------(+$24M)-----(+$40M)

Week #3---$50.5M------$43.5M--------(-$7M)-------(+$33M)

Week #4---$32.1M------$24.8M-------(-$7.3M)-----(+$25.7M)

Week #5---$27.0M------?

Week #6---$14.2M------?

Week #7----$9.2M-------?

Though Indy started out very strong it is losing ground rapidly. No way does it do $27M this week. It's losing 30 to 40% daily from the week before. My bet is on Iron Man to out gross Indy and stay as the highest grossing film for 2008. Does it matter? not really. Iron Man was a far better film. Indy sucked. That's the bottom line.

Also highly recommend Kung Fu Panda. Great Movie.

Well...considering that yesterday was Indy's 27th day of release, and it out grossed what Iron Man did on it's 27th day of release, I would say the trajectory doesn't indicate what you would like it to. It obviously matters what the competition was each of those weeks too.

Again, until I saw the numbers for this week, I thought Iron Man had a shot to win. No longer.

What's coming out this week?

Get Smart?

In the fine cinematic tradition of Sgt Bilko, McHales Navy, The Honeymooners, etc. doh!

My Bomb'o'meter is going off full blast.

Wait until I hook The Love Guru up to it. :o

I look at Wall-E and I think it looks like the robot from Short Circuit crossed with E.T. (shrug)

I thought the same exact thing. Andrew Stanton (director) claims he never saw the Short Circuit movies. He said Wall-E is most like R2-D2 personality wise. But I see ET all over this one.

I look at Wall-E and I think it looks like the robot from Short Circuit crossed with E.T. (shrug)

I thought the same exact thing. Andrew Stanton (director) claims he never saw the Short Circuit movies. He said Wall-E is most like R2-D2 personality wise. But I see ET all over this one.

Even if it does ride ET's coat tails, the movie was made 27 years ago.

So I do see anything bad if there is a similarity.

But I don't think they're going to outright rip off anything.

Well just have to see.

The well-written recent Time magazine review I read last night really lauded the movie. So much so I'll be seeing it...and I usually wait for the DvD for Pixar movies...

Jim

Even if it does ride ET's coat tails, the movie was made 27 years ago.

So I do see anything bad if there is a similarity.

I agree. I should clarify my thought. I see Wall-E sitting alongside of ET as a character that everyone will recognize; not so much that the films will be similar.

The Pixar films vaguely allude to pop culture cornerstones but never outright rip off anything. They use what was great about what has come before and mold it into their own creation. (ie. The Incredibles = Fantastic Four, Bruce the Shark = Jaws.)

Their films are works of art. Just watched Ratatouille again today; it is genius. I will see Wall-E opening night.

If I could work for any company in the world, it would be Pixar. (thumbs u

[Clear?? Really? You must be looking at different numbers than everyone else is. It's way too close to call but my money is on IM hanging on. Hardly what I'd call "clear" any way you look at it. I've been calling Wall-E as taking the summer since April and I'm sticking to it but I think IM comes in second.

It's simple arithmetic... doh!

Indy is killing IM by 250% during the Tuesday-Thursday timeframe...gaining over a Mil a day. Add in the advantage it holds on the weekend, and IM does cover the percentage gap better, Indy will pass IM in three weeks time. Add in the fact that the studio is still heavily advertising the movie and it's a no-brainer when Indy will pass IM...

Jim

Well, the latest weekend numbers are in and IM is still ahead of Indy by $14M.

If Indy is going to beat out IM, I dont' see it happening in another two weeks from now as per your simple arithemetic. In two weeks from now, I beleive that IM will still be ahead of Indy by anywhere from $5M to $7M.

This does not leave much time for it to catch up to IM before it runs out of screen time. Especially considering that Indy is still continuing to drop at a much faster rate (42%) than IM (only 28%).

It'll be an interesting race to the finish line! (thumbs u

[Clear?? Really? You must be looking at different numbers than everyone else is. It's way too close to call but my money is on IM hanging on. Hardly what I'd call "clear" any way you look at it. I've been calling Wall-E as taking the summer since April and I'm sticking to it but I think IM comes in second.

Indy is killing IM by 250% during the Tuesday-Thursday timeframe...gaining over a Mil a day. Add in the advantage it holds on the weekend, and IM does cover the percentage gap better, Indy will pass IM in three weeks time. Add in the fact that the studio is still heavily advertising the movie and it's a no-brainer when Indy will pass IM...

Jim

If Indy is going to beat out IM, I dont' see it happening in another two weeks from now as per your simple arithemetic. In two weeks from now, I beleive that IM will still be ahead of Indy by anywhere from $5M to $7M.

This does not leave much time for it to catch up to IM before it runs out of screen time. Especially considering that Indy is still continuing to drop at a much faster rate (42%) than IM (only 28%).

Indy is playing in double the theaters IM is and that will continue for the next month...

Jim

Jim

Two weeks ago it was $35 million ahead.

I believe in two weeks they will be virtually tied.

At the rate that Indy is plummeting, I just don't see this happening in two weeks from now. The only way this could happen in two weeks is if IM is gone from the theatres and that certainly doesn't look to be the case right now with the number of theatres still showing it.

If it is going to happen, it will probably take Indy another 4 or 5 weeks to pass IM. hm

At the rate that Indy is plummeting, I just don't see this happening in two weeks from now. The only way this could happen in two weeks is if IM is gone from the theatres and that certainly doesn't look to be the case right now with the number of theatres still showing it.

If it is going to happen, it will probably take Indy another 4 or 5 weeks to pass IM. hm

This is true. It will take more than 2 weeks to catch Iron Man.

At the rate that Indy is plummeting..... hm

What did he ever do to you?

lol

day 11-18 it grossed $38 million

day 18-25 it grossed $23.5 million

day 25-32 it grossed $14 million

It seems like a pretty reasonable descent for a successful movie to me.

Way less than 50% drop off every week.

At the rate that Indy is plummeting..... hm

What did he ever do to you?

lol

day 11-18 it grossed $38 million

day 18-25 it grossed $23.5 million

day 25-32 it grossed $14 million

It seems like a pretty reasonable descent for a successful movie to me.

Way less than 50% drop off every week.

Nice to see that you are able to extract the real numbers! (thumbs u

Would you have the dollars for IM for the comparable days and also for the past 3 weeks handy? It would certainly be interesting to see how they stack up against Indy.

My reason for saying that it will take more than 2 weeks is as follows:

1) I see Indy being able to pull in $9M this coming week and probably $6M the following week for a total of $15M.

2) I see IM being able to pull in $4M-$5M this coming week and probably only $2M-$3M the following week for a total of around $7M.

3) Based upon the above scenario, this means that IM will probably still be ahead of Indy by around $6M after the next two weeks.

Yes, it should be an interesting race to the finish although the residual screenings at the end could see Indy top IM right at the finish line. hm

With a 100% rating by RottenTomatoes.com could WANTED be the sleeper that beats them all? I don't know, but things could get interesting. Iron Man and Indy are going to gross between $310-320 million. Huge numbers for sure, but not unbeatable. Could be an unexpected upset in the near future with Wanted or

Batman taking them out.

lollol

Go watch Cars then watch Doc Hollywood.

Synopsis from IMDB:

Benjamin Stone is a young doctor driving to L.A where he was offered a new job as a plastic surgeon in Beverly Hills. He gets off the highway to avoid a traffic jam, but gets lost and ends up crashing into a fence in the small town of Grady. He is sentenced to 32 hrs of community service at the local hospital. All he wants is to serve the sentence and get moving, but gradually the locals become attached to the new doctor, and he falls for the pretty ambulance driver, Lou.

With a 100% rating by RottenTomatoes.com could WANTED be the sleeper that beats them all?

Wanted could be the next Matrix, which is fitting, since the movie copies virtually the entire character progression.