• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top 10 DC Key comics from the SilverAge?

51 posts in this topic

I have always been a Marvel collector from the SilverAge. If I had to pick the top 10 Key comics from them it would be the following:

Amazing Fantasy #15

Amazing Spider-man #1

Avengers #1

DareDevil #1

Fantastic Four #1

Fantastic Four #48

Incredible Hulk #1

Journey Into Mystery #83

Tales of Suspens #39

X-Men #1

But as the title says, what would you consider the top 10 SilverAge key comics from DC?

1. Showcase 4- 1st app. of SA Flash and 1st SA comic

2. Brave and Bold 28- 1st app of JLA

3. Showcase 22-1st app. of SA Green Lantern

4. Flash 105-1st issue of SA Flash series

5. Justice League of America 1

6. Adventure Comics 247- 1st app of Legion of SuperHeroes

7. Green Lantern 1

8. Brave and Bold 34- 1st app of SA Hawkman

9. Showcase 34-1st app of SA Atom

10. Showcase 8- 2nd SA app of Flash

7. Green Lantern 1

Excellent list, but I'd substitute Showcase #6 for Green Lantern #1, and Our Army at War #81 for Showcase #8. Just my opinion.

7. Green Lantern 1

Excellent list, but I'd substitute Showcase #6 for Green Lantern #1, and Our Army at War #81 for Showcase #8. Just my opinion.

I agree that Showcase 6 should be on the list. Personally I wouldn't put OAW 81 on there. I don't think Showcase 8 is a key, just an early appearance.

7. Green Lantern 1

I agree that Showcase 6 should be on the list. Personally I wouldn't put OAW 81 on there. I don't think Showcase 8 is a key, just an early appearance.

Is the Atom more of a popular character than Action 252 (Supergirl) or Lois Lane #1? This is really gonna get down to personal tastes probably.

7. Green Lantern 1

I agree with John's list with your modifications, but I'd move Adventure 247 higher (to #4) and move JLA 1 and GL 1 down behind B&B 34 and Showcase 34. Flash 105 had already established that one of the new heroes could carry his own title, so I think the significance of JLA and GL being in their own titles wasn't all that great. In fact, thinking about it further, I might bump GL 1 off the list altogether for Action 252.

I'm no longer a D.C. guy but wouldn't GL #40 a bigger key than a Showcase #8. Yes I understand in terms of value it is nowhere close to any of the books but as a key you now have Earth 1 and Earth 2 and all those nifty JLA/JSA crossover issues etc. etc.

Jim

I'm no longer a D.C. guy but wouldn't GL #40 a bigger key than a Showcase #8. Yes I understand in terms of value it is nowhere close to any of the books but as a key you now have Earth 1 and Earth 2 and all those nifty JLA/JSA crossover issues etc. etc.

Jim

Actually, that would make Flash 123 a more important key, which therefore I would put up into the Top 10 ahead of JLA 1.

GL #40 was more important in retrospect, because it contained the seeds of Crisis, which allowed DC 2 decades later to go and try to fix all the parallel universes run amok. Personally, I've never rated GL 40.

2. Brave and Bold 28 - 1st app of JLA

4. Flash 123 1st Crisis

5. Adventure Comics 247- 1st app of Legion of SuperHeroes

6. Action 252

7. OOAW 81

8. Green Lantern 40 - Expanded Crisis

9. Superboy 68

10. Action 242

Not to argue value, but more importance to the DC universe, here's my list. Its one thing to have a reappearance of a superhero like Showcase 4, I just can't get excited about the second tier superhero's especially when its just a first SA appearance. So Supergirl gets my vote. And I threw in two villains that have been key through out the DC years. I could see Batgirl or Poison Ivy too but not this high up.

The Riddler and Penguin have more going on than Hawkman and Atom.....

A lot of this depends on whether you think something is a key because of what it meant for the SA, or whether you factor in things that happened much later that has since driven interest in first appearances--such as the Crisis storyline or the rise in importance of a character like Supergirl.

For someone (like me) who collects the SA for nostalgic reasons, characters like Atom and Hawkman were big parts of the time period. Since I was a kid those first appearances were always bigger than life, and they still are that way for me to this day.

There's a lot more going on over a longer period of time in DC Silver that makes compiling the list more difficult. It's not always easy to tell which characters/books had the most impact or greatest significance during the Silver Age and even that would be different if you considered post SA impact. Nor is it unreasonable to include some pre/semi-Silver Age books like Jimmy Olsen 1 and World's Finest 71. Our Army at War 83 should replace OAAW 81 as the start of Sgt. Rock for reasons described in Chris Pedrin's Guide to the DC Big 5 War Comics.

4. Flash 123 1st Crisis

5. Adventure Comics 247- 1st app of Legion of SuperHeroes

6. Action 252

7. OOAW 81

8. Green Lantern 40 - Expanded Crisis

9. Superboy 68

10. Action 242

Not to argue value, but more importance to the DC universe, here's my list. Its one thing to have a reappearance of a superhero like Showcase 4, I just can't get excited about the second tier superhero's especially when its just a first SA appearance. So Supergirl gets my vote. And I threw in two villains that have been key through out the DC years. I could see Batgirl or Poison Ivy too but not this high up.

The Riddler and Penguin have more going on than Hawkman and Atom.....

I agree with the Sgt. Rock vote, but should the nod go to OOAW 83 instead? :baiting:

We finally got OS to acknowledge that it is THE true first appearance.

For someone (like me) who collects the SA for nostalgic reasons, characters like Atom and Hawkman were big parts of the time period. Since I was a kid those first appearances were always bigger than life, and they still are that way for me to this day.

I've got to agree, SA on it's own, these books stand a lot more in significance. Especially with them started near the start of the Marvel SA books as well Both companies influenced each other constantly, and what was happening in one was reflected in the other. So looking at Marvels big starter titles in the SA, should point towards what DC was doing as well. And Hawakman, Atom, Doom Patrol, and other's were where it was at.

Wow no one has yet mentioned Detective 225. No love for the Martian Manhunter?

1. Showcase 4- 1st app. of SA Flash and 2nd SA comic

4. Adventure Comics 247- 1st app of Legion of SuperHeroes

5. Detective 225 1st Silver age Comic and 1st J'onn J'onzz

6. Action 252 1st Supergirl

7. Flash 123 1st Earth 2

8. Showcase 34-1st app of SA Atom

9. Brave and Bold 34- 1st app of SA Hawkman

Hard choice for the last one I still have quite a few candidates left including:

JLA1, GL1, Showcase 1, 6(1st Challengers), 8 (2nd Flash tryout) , 9(1st Lois tryout), 15(1st Space Ranger) , Lois 1, Action 242( 1st Brainiac), Adventure 210 ( 1st Krypto), B&B 1, Superboy 68 ( 1st Bizarro), but I am going with a totally different choice

10. Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen 1 Sept 1954. perhaps this should be the first Silver age Comic as it predates Showcase 4 by 2 years and Tec 225 by over a year.

Tec 225 has to be the most over rated comic in the history of Overstreet. It should be broken out but he's a pretty weak character IMO. And which came first, Doom Patrol or SC 6 w Challengers? I think those both influenced the creation of the X-men so would give the first of those two a nod up.