• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spider-Man BRAND NEW DAY(no more)

42 posts in this topic

I must admit I am getting warmer to this series.

I said I'd drop it, but didn't (I guess I am weak for my run)

but I read these comics and enjoyed this series more than I had in years.

(thumbs u

This is the most I have enjoyed ASM since I was 12. That was the McFarlane days.

I understand it now...your expectations are already low... :baiting::grin:

Jim

Im 29 its not like I was there when comics were on the shelves for 10 cents.....

I must admit I am getting warmer to this series.

I said I'd drop it, but didn't (I guess I am weak for my run)

but I read these comics and enjoyed this series more than I had in years.

(thumbs u

This is the most I have enjoyed ASM since I was 12. That was the McFarlane days.

I understand it now...your expectations are already low... :baiting::grin:

Jim

Im 29 its not like I was there when comics were on the shelves for 10 cents.....

Neither was I... (shrug)

Jim

I wanna re-phrase this . I really am enjoying the new series, and havent been this excited about ASM for a very long time. The McFarlane era to me was so exciting, spider-man never looked cooler, the villians were just so cool looking, the release of Venom to me was amazing. I havent re-read any of these issues to decide if they hold up, BUT I am basing this off of old feelings. It was the same for me when Jim Lee started drawing X-Men I was blown away, all these cool characters, X-Overs, The X-Men series he started. Its all based off nostalgia (the excitement aspect) . Now these years later I think Venom was wasted, McFarlane's spider-man still looks cool, Jim Lee's X-Men are still my favorite.

Story wise... Kravens last hunt is my favorite ASM story. That storyline was just so good. And Spider-Man has been so screwed up the past However many years, that I welcome the change in hopes that there can once again be GREAT ASM stories. Not Clones, Love Children, Aunt May dying. But Original great stories. And so far I am enjoying myself.

Marvel dropped two books that were not selling near 88k copies (though I confess I don't know what the Marvel Knights book or Sensational were selling) and replaced those with two books that are selling 88k copies a month...that's essentially what has happened. That's a huge net gain for Marvel. They've replaced sales of 200k books a month between three titles and now they've got 250k books a month in one title.

Good on them.

With the numbers dropping substantially each month? I thought the goal was to build and solidify a fanbase.

They are selling more comics than they did before. I think the goal is to sell more comics than they did before.

Yes, I know that, but after the initial "what did they do to Spider-Man?" shock wears off, it's been declining and has continued to do so. How many times can Marvel use shock-value to drive up demand without eroding the faith of that fanbase?

Well the numbers sold for us are not far off from the last arc (pre-back in black).

The last year of Spidey was artificially high than the previous years because had the whole tie-in to Civil War and then Back in Black to pump the sales and they were pretty darn good. The other non-ASM books were not as good but did ok.

So looking back about 2 years, the sales numbers are about the same. Granted I wish they were higher for us but I have some people who dropped the series, and some who picked it up that hadn't read it for years because they weren't all up on the history. Then there are the die-hard fans who buy it because it keeps their run of books going and they are just too in love with the character to give up.

Im still liking the new direction.... closest feel to the first 40 issues in a long long time. Lotsa new stuff each issue. Villains may be a bit weird and shaky, but cmon, after 50 years of vilains whats left out there?? And do we realy want the alternative: Round robin Vulture, Ock, Goblin etc etc?

As I say each time here, in a year this will settle into mediocrity, but Its fun each month for now. I also loved the new artwork on this weeks snow issue. I loved the panels layouts with no borders and thick white spaces in between the. and the art and coloring were very un-comicbooky.... more illustrated booky,

Im still liking the new direction.... closest feel to the first 40 issues in a long long time. Lotsa new stuff each issue. Villains may be a bit weird and shaky, but cmon, after 50 years of vilains whats left out there?? And do we realy want the alternative: Round robin Vulture, Ock, Goblin etc etc?

As I say each time here, in a year this will settle into mediocrity, but Its fun each month for now. I also loved the new artwork on this weeks snow issue. I loved the panels layouts with no borders and thick white spaces in between the. and the art and coloring were very un-comicbooky.... more illustrated booky,

Sorry, no opinion as I dropped the series with the Gwen babies....

I just like the usage of "booky" in a statement. lol

I loved the snow cover too. Takes me back to Spidey 278? with the snow cover and the blacksuit.

Personally, I liked the Wolvie/Spidey Bachalo cover too. But I know how people LOVE Bachalo on this site!

Pat

thats was an all time low point to be sure!!! Worse than the clone.

with the money they raked in from the 3 spidey movies,videogames and now the new cartoon. I don`t think the comicbook is high priority no more. sad to say but the movies are were they make thier money, comics are way down on the totem pole.

I have been out comics basically since the Spiderman clone saga, did I miss any good stories or did nothing happen since what 1995 with Spidey in comics?

A lot of people like Spider-man Blue.

Nothing is really screaming at me, off-hand.

Pat

sad, so basically since 1995 I really didn`t miss much. it seems this applies to all comics. in 13 years not much happened with the big 2. maybe I will take another 13 years off. lol.

The silliness of some of the stories is different than the quality of the storytelling. That crappy Gwen's babies idea read well for being a crappy idea. =) JMS' run was stellar overall. He did some funky stuff with the character, but the art and storytelling throughout was top notch.

Comics as a whole were pretty bad from 92-99. Rarely anything worth discussing in superhero comics during that time frame.

The silliness of some of the stories is different than the quality of the storytelling. That crappy Gwen's babies idea read well for being a crappy idea. =) JMS' run was stellar overall. He did some funky stuff with the character, but the art and storytelling throughout was top notch.

Comics as a whole were pretty bad from 92-99. Rarely anything worth discussing in superhero comics during that time frame.

I thought that the Gwen Babies storyline was great fun - this is the only ASM arc I have bought and read since dropping it after the McSpidey run. (thumbs u

This is classic! :baiting:

DeFloweringGwen1.jpg

lollollollollollollol

Now don't get crazy.

Read Daredevil. You've missed a lot with DD. TONS of reading.

Frankly, Ultimate Spider-man was a fun read. Check out the monster Ultimate Spider-man book and you'll be good.

Pat

I was never a big DD fan so I probably have not missed much. The only issues I currently own are a few of the keys - #1, #158, #168 and a couple of other NM Miller issues I snagged for $1 apiece on eBay.

X-Men was my favorite Marvel title (X-Men #211 was the first book I ever purchased), but it became too much of a soap opera after the new X-Men book was launched so I dropped it. The last Marvels I had in my file were The End: Wolverine and X-Men, but they both sucked so I dropped them.

I did have Ultimate FF in my file until #3 but dropped it, and have a few other Ultimate issues that I have read and enjoyed. However, the steep cover price made me question the smarts in paying $5 CDN for a new book off the shelf vs. $5 for NM early BA books - glad I chose the latter as I see a lot of those new books in the $0.50 - $1.00 bins at local cons.