• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best Bang for the $$$ in GA books

91 posts in this topic

I just want to thank everyone who posted in my thread so far. My eyes are really starting to open up to whole new world of collecting. It looks like my wallet may also be opening up for some of the books I've now seen that I want. :insane: However, it does look like there are some less expensive options as well and I really appreciate everyone's comments and input. I am truly grateful for the wealth of knowledge and helpful board members here. (worship) I've been looking through some of the other threads in the GA forum and I am beginning to realize that I know absolutely nothing when it comes to comic books.

If anyone feels like it, please post more.

Thanks again.

You're welcome.

If you don't already have the Gerber Guides, you may want to invest in a set. Bud Plant has the best price. They are indispensible for collecting GA and are just plain cool to flip through at random. I'd recommend putting off the purchase of a book or three to get a Gerber set.

I second this recommendation. Well worth splurging for.

I third the recommendation. It helped me figure out where I'd focus my GA dollars within a week.

I just want to thank everyone who posted in my thread so far. My eyes are really starting to open up to whole new world of collecting. It looks like my wallet may also be opening up for some of the books I've now seen that I want. :insane: However, it does look like there are some less expensive options as well and I really appreciate everyone's comments and input. I am truly grateful for the wealth of knowledge and helpful board members here. (worship) I've been looking through some of the other threads in the GA forum and I am beginning to realize that I know absolutely nothing when it comes to comic books.

Thanks again.

You're welcome.

If you don't already have the Gerber Guides, you may want to invest in a set. Bud Plant has the best price. They are indispensible for collecting GA and are just plain cool to flip through at random. I'd recommend putting off the purchase of a book or three to get a Gerber set.

I third the recommendation. It helped me figure out where I'd focus my GA dollars within a week.

Agreed. Buying the Gerber's is money well spent!

Thanks again.

You're welcome.

hm I've been thinking maybe I should get the Gerber Guides. What do you guy's think. (shrug)

There are lots of great golden age one-shots that can be fun and challenging to collect.

I am kicking myself for not buying the Gem Comics #1 at the Dallas Comic Con this past weekend as it was the first time I had ever seen a copy in person. Unfortunately with all I was involved with I didn't have time to get back over to that dealer to buy it. :(

Thanks again.

You're welcome.

If you don't mind being broke all the time :baiting: .GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Here's what it looks like

440_4_1.jpg

That's very interesting Buffy!!!

I've had three copies of this book and one of them looks a lot like this copy except for the top corner (very interesting).

The tear on the bottom corner sure looks similar. Also note the blackened face.

My opinion is they are the same copy!!! Maybe your scan of this book is older. I sold this copy last year!!!

GemComics1gerber71945sold-1.jpg

This is my keeper copy!!! :cloud9:

gemcomics1gerber7-1.jpg

It looks like he pulled the Gem Comics scan off of the comics.org site. Someone did a little Photoshop touch up to the easier parts that just needed to be filled in with orange.

By the way, I bought this last night. I'm am definitely buying the Gerber Guides, but I liked this cover and it has a story about people being melted alive. :sick: I can't wait to read it!

Chamber6.jpg

Great book. All 4 stories inside are fun IIRC: first, Powell's Jelly Death :cloud9:, then the skulls of Magondi, and finally, the last story with the melting people. Enjoy. Here's a quick preview for you -

56503-CoC6JellyDeath-6-8.jpg.6bdc4dbcf5ac9dee9bddeba5bdb642e0.jpg

56504-CoCSevenSkulls1-6.jpg.46d0c3feb8ebc54abe40a451a340922a.jpg

Thanks for those scans Scrooge, that book looks great, and I've never owned a copy or seen the interior pages, looks like a must have!!! :headbang:

Yes, thanks! Now I'm even more excited about getting this book! :banana:

It looks like he pulled the Gem Comics scan off of the comics.org site. Someone did a little Photoshop touch up to the easier parts that just needed to be filled in with orange.

By the way, I bought this last night. I'm am definitely buying the Gerber Guides, but I liked this cover and it has a story about people being melted alive. :sick: I can't wait to read it!

Chamber6.jpg

i guess that's the "jelly death" story. yikes.

Chamber6.jpg

Got the book yesterday, cracked it open and read it last night. It was indeed a fun read! Thanks again to everyone for all the suggestions. I'm definitely on the lookout for some of the other titles mentioned in this thread and will be picking up the Gerber Guides as well.

Chamber6.jpg

Got the book yesterday, cracked it open and read it last night. It was indeed a fun read! Thanks again to everyone for all the suggestions. I'm definitely on the lookout for some of the other titles mentioned in this thread and will be picking up the Gerber Guides as well.

doh! Another dead slab!

How come nobody mentions the REALLY affordable golden age books like Boy Comics after #40, Daredevil after #50, Looney Toons after #50 or Walt Disney Comics and Stories after #60 or so? These are all extremely cheap and generally available. Most are priced at around $10 each. They have well known characters. They are generally good reads and they were published over a relatively long span so they must have been popular back in the day.

Oh, and if you admit you collect them people look at you with pity, or like you have just sprouted a third eye.

Well, I'm going to type this at the great risk of adding competing buyers to things.

I would argue the Boy Comics prior to #50 can be obtained for reasonable prices and in presentable conditions as well. And those issues are great, great fun. There's ultra-violent covers on many, the art is actually pretty good, and many of the war covers are just as cool-looking in my opinion as some of the other publishers that are more known for it. There's even a couple of GGA type covers too.

You can't go wrong trying Boy Comics. I'd start with #19, which I believe to be the greatest issue of the series (and it is my favorite comic story.) Just stay away from the Crippen in the upcoming focus auction. Barring any unforseen disaster, I will be the owner of that book. The title is really a great combination of a crime book and a superhero book. I'd just suggest you stray away from later issues as the series changed fairly dramatically due to increased pressures of the SOTI era. (Stay away from the issues where Crimebuster isn't wearing his true costume. That's an easy visual sign of the change for the most part.)

So there ya go. I'm biased, but excellent suggestion MrBedrock

-Rob-

Chamber6.jpg

Your first crack pipe :cloud9: