• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Divorcing Your Art...

11 posts in this topic

It starts off like a match made in heaven. (or at least a wild drunken night in Vegas) You've decided on a new piece of art to bring home and live with forever. But then something goes wrong. Dan's Beeckman thread actually got me thinking about this again. What if after all Dan's trouble he gets the art at long last, but every time he looks at it, there's nothing but bad memories?

This has happened to me a couple times, and it can happen for all sorts of reasons. Sometimes a relationship with an artist sours, and you never look at their art the same way again. Sometimes you let yourself get taken in a deal, and that piece has nothing but bad memories. Regardless of the situation, you ever notice how as soon as you have that emotional separation with your art, the relationship is over? After that, it's just a commodity with dollar signs attached.

Oh sure, sometimes you keep the art around the house for awhile trying to work things out, but the truth is that after you've emotionally separated from your art, it's over. It could still be a masterpiece for someone else, but for you, it's a future ex-wife.

J

It starts off like a match made in heaven. (or at least a wild drunken night in Vegas) You've decided on a new piece of art to bring home and live with forever. But then something goes wrong. Dan's Beeckman thread actually got me thinking about this again. What if after all Dan's trouble he gets the art at long last, but every time he looks at it, there's nothing but bad memories?

This has happened to me a couple times, and it can happen for all sorts of reasons. Sometimes a relationship with an artist sours, and you never look at their art the same way again. Sometimes you let yourself get taken in a deal, and that piece has nothing but bad memories. Regardless of the situation, you ever notice how as soon as you have that emotional separation with your art, the relationship is over? After that, it's just a commodity with dollar signs attached.

Oh sure, sometimes you keep the art around the house for awhile trying to work things out, but the truth is that after you've emotionally separated from your art, it's over. It could still be a masterpiece for someone else, but for you, it's a future ex-wife.

J

:screwy:

Actually you hit the nail on the head for me. There is no way I would 'maintain a relationship' with this piece if I ever got it. It has just been soured for me and I could never look at it without thinking of the jerking around it took to get it. As a result, I've now demanded a refund from Doug, so we will see where that gets me... probably the same place I am now.... no art, no money :(

I've now demanded a refund from Doug, so we will see where that gets me... probably the same place I am now.... no art, no money :(

I bet you get the piece in the mail, then flip it. Whether you take a loss or make some money depends on which one of your many connections you do the deal with. I do know that 'patience is a virue', despite all the fame, infamy, person_without_enough_empathying, moaning, and advertising it received, didn't sell for the original price; something to keep in mind.

J

I have felt exactly the same way about certain pieces. In fact when negotiations for a piece enter a realm where it is contentious or I feel like I am being taken advantage of, I walk away. I know the feeling I get when just thinking about it, if I had a piece that was a constant reminder of it, it would turn my stomach.

There was one very high profile piece that I was in negotiation to get years and years ago. The asking price was about 4 times market value because the seller knew how much I liked the artist/art. All through the discussions I kept getting that "new guy in the prison yard" feeling whenever I talked to the seller.

I knew that if I got the piece I would remember how badly the negotiations went, how much I had been taken advantage of, and how I had put a piece of paper above my personal dignity.

It's easy to walk away when that's what you are dealing with, and I have walked away from several great pieces large and small for this reason.

C

Dan, i know exactly how you feel.its very difficult looking at art that you invested so much in, and im not just talking about money,when youve been badly treated by the artists.ive barely looked at my Golden piece since i got it.its been in a portfolio ever since i got it

It starts off like a match made in heaven. (or at least a wild drunken night in Vegas) You've decided on a new piece of art to bring home and live with forever... Sometimes a relationship with an artist sours, and you never look at their art the same way again. Sometimes you let yourself get taken in a deal, and that piece has nothing but bad memories. Regardless of the situation, you ever notice how as soon as you have that emotional separation with your art, the relationship is over? J

:hi:

I too can know exactly what you guys mean. Basically after a bad event, and it doesn;'t have to be the artist, it could be the con itself or something unrelated to the artist, you are basically "divorced" from the art.

Basically I'll just throw it on ebay for 99 cents and no reserve.. I really don't care how much it goes for.

On a related note, I was about to go through something bad (nothing serious, girl related) and I was going to put aside some $$ to buy art and cheer me up, but then I thought - that's no good, looking at the art will just remind me of the bad event!

So far, I've only had positive experiences with comic artists. Of course, I'm usually praising their work and offering them money. It's easy for someone to like you when your relationship starts like that.

However, I've had a couple of negative experiences with art sellers (both through the 'bay) and the negative tone of each interaction left me feeling sour toward the artwork itself. Mind you, both times the pieces weren't anything close to grail quality. For a grail, I'd have taken a few slaps before relinquishing the prize. Since these were nice but not irreplaceable, I sold them both. And I took a loss both times.

One of the risks of the hobby, I'm afraid.

If you don't understand what I'm talking about, it's a good thing. Divorces always come with some measure or heartache (but then relief!)

Jack Welch on divorce -- Q: Why is divorce so expensive? A: Because it's worth it!!

There are other reasons I can think of that you become emotionally separated from your art. I just picked the first two that came to mind. It could also be modern art, and the ongoing book it came from starts to decline, or you don't feel as strongly about it....