• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

You gotta love this person's negotiation tactics.

111 posts in this topic

I guess you realize that this guy just went to Comic Price Guide and swiped their values. All CPG does is assign a 2X Guide value for their CGC prices 9.4 and higher. I really think CPG does everyone a disservice by even listing a CGC guide. They don't track CGC selling prices like GPA, so they shouldn't even list that category.

Everything CPG does is just a mathematical formula based on a 9.4 value, and it is the same formula for every book, regardless if it is Action Comics #1 or Captain Carrot #1. It in no way reflects the reality of the comic market. A CGC 9.0 Batman #1 lists for $182k, never mind that comic link sold one $255k. On the other end, a CGC 6.0 ASM #1 has a guide value over $7000 on CPG, despite it consistently selling for around $4000, according to the GPA.

This buyer is either new to the hobby, or hoping the seller is really gullable. I've received several low ball offers on books before, and I've always wondered why people even take the time to submit ridiculously low offers. Did he really think you would just say okay, and sell the book for less than half of what you were asking for it?

not comics related but, I am selling a video card for a friend and I started it at 200.

shortly after it went up I get an email checking to see if I woudl sell at $250.

Told him no and went to bed.

Next day it was at $275

I guess you realize that this guy just went to Comic Price Guide and swiped their values. All CPG does is assign a 2X Guide value for their CGC prices 9.4 and higher. I really think CPG does everyone a disservice by even listing a CGC guide. They don't track CGC selling prices like GPA, so they shouldn't even list that category.

Everything CPG does is just a mathematical formula based on a 9.4 value, and it is the same formula for every book, regardless if it is Action Comics #1 or Captain Carrot #1. It in no way reflects the reality of the comic market. A CGC 9.0 Batman #1 lists for $182k, never mind that comic link sold one $255k. On the other end, a CGC 6.0 ASM #1 has a guide value over $7000 on CPG, despite it consistently selling for around $4000, according to the GPA.

This buyer is either new to the hobby, or hoping the seller is really gullable. I've received several low ball offers on books before, and I've always wondered why people even take the time to submit ridiculously low offers. Did he really think you would just say okay, and sell the book for less than half of what you were asking for it?

Wow, welcome to the boards....

Last post 7/23/07....recently started posting again 3/26/08

RH banned 3/09/08- guess the banning thread brought you back :grin:

pretty much what some guy said about my huk 181 CGC 9.2 back in 2001(asking price was $700) -- he said something like " when nobody buys it for that price I'll give you $550" - it sold for $700 like the next day and we all know how much it's increased in value since then.

Stop using big words.

Define "big" for me, please, using the post above as a contextual reference

I didn't mean they were big words as far as I was concerned, but you have to remember the audience for which your response is intended.

Plus, you are a linguistic powerhouse that often forgets the depth of your ability.

Here are the words that may be a problem for our negotiator:

torturous

simple-minded (he will think this is one of the seven dwarves)

mouthbreathing

aping

modicum

suffice

system economists

Points taken, but stooping to his level in order to demonstrate his mental inadequacies in a manner he might find more readily understandable would be bad for my knees.

You never know, it might spur him to pick up a dictionary and try and figure out just exactly how he's being insulted. It's a public service of sorts.

"Powerhouse." lol You give me far too much credit, I think

This guy's email to you is a classic Mike. Thanks for posting it. Made my Friday afternoon!

As for Jive's & Sal's posts: :cloud9:

& the best advice really would be to counter above asking & then, if the guy has books of his own for sale, go through all of his listings and offer 1 penny each.

See you on Sunday Mike (with a birthday gift you're going to love :wishluck: )

CFP/DBM

This an e-mail I received through ebay from a potential buyer. The book in question is a CGC 9.6 Captain America #241 w/ white pages. 12 month GPA for this book is $100 with the last sale at $120. I think my list price is $125

Dear mikecmiles,

Your price is not even guide price. No one will ever but the that book at what your asking. Guide in cgc value is only 48.00 dollars and people spend on ebay half of guide. 24.00 is what people will spend. My offer will be a luttle more becuase i happen to like the cover. I will offer 35.00 i hope your smart enough to take it. Please note whatever you paid to get the book graded is not peoples concern. Thats not how it works. The way you make money off of cgc is 9.8 and up

CAPTAIN AMERICA # 241

Condition Value *CGC Value

(10)GEM MINT $96.00 $192.00

(9.9)MINT $64.00 $128.00

(9.8)NEAR MINT/MINT $32.00 $64.00

(9.6)NEAR MINT + $24.00 $48.00

I had to try.

You could have answered me instead of making this public. Jerk.

Dear Sir:

Thank you for your most generous offer of $35 for my Captain America 241. While I am flattered by your altruism, I believe that this price may be a tad bit low for this book.

As you are able to find CGC 9.6 slabbed copies of this book for $35, I will like to make you a proposition. I will pay you $50 for every CGC slabbed 9.6 copy you can find. I will buy all of them from you for this price. Every last one, plus I will pay all shipping costs.

Please note that I have a great deal of available cash ready to spend. Unfortunately, I'm not going to be spending it with you.

Thanks again.

Miles.

This an e-mail I received through ebay from a potential buyer. The book in question is a CGC 9.6 Captain America #241 w/ white pages. 12 month GPA for this book is $100 with the last sale at $120. I think my list price is $125

Dear mikecmiles,

Your price is not even guide price. No one will ever but the that book at what your asking. Guide in cgc value is only 48.00 dollars and people spend on ebay half of guide. 24.00 is what people will spend. My offer will be a luttle more becuase i happen to like the cover. I will offer 35.00 i hope your smart enough to take it. Please note whatever you paid to get the book graded is not peoples concern. Thats not how it works. The way you make money off of cgc is 9.8 and up

CAPTAIN AMERICA # 241

Condition Value *CGC Value

(10)GEM MINT $96.00 $192.00

(9.9)MINT $64.00 $128.00

(9.8)NEAR MINT/MINT $32.00 $64.00

(9.6)NEAR MINT + $24.00 $48.00

I had to try.

You could have answered me instead of making this public. Jerk.

lol

You never know, it might spur him to pick up a dictionary and try and figure out just exactly how he's being insulted. It's a public service of sorts.

um not everybody comes from USA and not everybody speaks english first. Jerky.

I still say English First!!

N'est pas?

taht is why you are american jerky you rapist. too much rapism in america.

:roflmao:

Rats, I have to go to work now and won't be able to see this continue before the banning: tear. :cry:

Luckily, I wasn't referring to "everybody," but rather this one tool. Hammerhead.