• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

You gotta love this person's negotiation tactics.

111 posts in this topic

Slacker :baiting:

:sorry: yeah...but one day I'll be Saturday night (thumbs u

Isn't "slacker" Belgianese for "fastidious?"

I'm not up on my Belgianese, so I could be wrong here

Slacker :baiting:

:sorry: yeah...but one day I'll be Saturday night (thumbs u

Isn't "slacker" Belgianese for "fastidious?"

I'm not up on my Belgianese, so I could be wrong here

You forgot we don't use vowels in Belgianese...

So was a response ever sent to the fool?

Yeah, I had already responded. I am not as witty or as well versed in sarcasm as many on the baords here. I start to rip him a new one but took it easy and decided maybe he just needed a little help.

Sadly, my vocabulary, spelling and writing skills aren't much better than theirs. :blush:

This is the rest of the correspondence thus far:

Me:

Wow. If you don't have it, I suggest you subscribe to a web site called GPAnalysis.com. The average selling price of a 9.6 over the last 12 months is $100. The last sale of a 9.6 was $120. But forget all of that. If you don't like the price don't buy it. Your negotiation tactics could use a lot of work. I am actually smart enough to not even entertain your offer. I am also smart enough to block you as a bidder. You have a lot to learn about comics and negotiating.

You make me laugh because you don't know how it works.

His/her response:

Then why doesnt the book sell? Whats you best price?

(note: I've had in the ebay store about a whole two weeks or less)

Me:

(I try to do the right thing and steer them in the right direction, but loose my cool just a little)

Watch the book it will sell. The best price is $110. At this point, I would not sell it to you at all because you are so rude with your tactics. I really do suggest that you go to www.gpanalysis.com and check it out. It tracks actual sales of CGC graded comics and compiles the information. You can look at every individual sale price of any cgc book ever sold on ebay, through Heritage and several other venues. You need to quit using that comicspriceguide.com site. The information they have for most comics is so far off the mark it is not even funny. If you don't want to pay for a subscription to GPAnalysis.com go to the www.cgccomics.com and check out their chat boards. If you ask for someone to post the GPA information on Cap #241, they probably will. Or just ask about GPA or comicspriceguide.com. You can probably even ask about GPAnalysis.com on the comicspriceguide chat boards. At any rate, you are really misinformed and rude. I shouldn't even be bothering to help you learn something. In further response to your first e-mail, I know "how it works" I submit, sell, and buy hundreds of CGC graded books. Take a look at some of my recent sales on ebay.

Again, go the cgccomics.com or gpanalysis.com sites and learn something about comics, and then consider the fact that being polite rather than an arrogant, obnoxious, misinformed jerk will get you better responses when you make an offer.

Mike

Your answer is the best answer. Going down to his level will only result in him shutting his ears and mind to your arguments. It's better to lay out the facts and let him realise that he was the one so off base. He might never admit it, but you can be sure that the rational explanation of comic values will chasten him.

Bah,

Great Seafood here in Boston ^^

I know, I've been there about 5 - 6 times...Stayed on Newbury Street for a full month and didn't even know there was a comic shop there :tonofbricks:

Assuming you mean Newbury Comics, it's more of a record store now. Started out there almost 30 years ago as a comic store with some records, but morphed into a local chain that's a record store with some comics, outlasting Tower, Virgin and HMV.

Summer as in June, July or August in Boston?

Prolly in July... it's still up in the air.

My best friend lives in Dover and he got kicked out of his house by his wife a few months ago and isn't in the best of states.

He phones me every week telling me to get my over there so he has a friend to hang with. Trouble is convincing my wife that it's ok to leave her stranded for a week with two toddlers while I cross the Atlantic to do some barhopping with my buddy hm

Ben Dover? Does he know Hertz from Holden?

Holden, Mass., that is.

If there's a board Boston bar-hop, keep me posted!

:grin:

If I do make it to MA this Summer I'll be sure to let everyone in and around Beantown know , and now mention it, I do remember a record store in Newbury street...never knew it was the famous "Newbury Comics"... I guess I always imagined it to be a "proper" comic book store, even though I really have no idea what a comic store would look like :makepoint:

Yeah, I had already responded. I am not as witty or as well versed in sarcasm as many on the baords here. I start to rip him a new one but took it easy and decided maybe he just needed a little help.

Sadly, my vocabulary, spelling and writing skills aren't much better than theirs. :blush:

Me:

Wow. If you don't have it, I suggest you subscribe to a web site called GPAnalysis.com. The average selling price of a 9.6 over the last 12 months is $100. The last sale of a 9.6 was $120. But forget all of that. If you don't like the price don't buy it. Your negotiation tactics could use a lot of work. I am actually smart enough to not even entertain your offer. I am also smart enough to block you as a bidder. You have a lot to learn about comics and negotiating.

His/her response:

Me:

(I try to do the right thing and steer them in the right direction, but loose my cool just a little)

Watch the book it will sell. The best price is $110. At this point, I would not sell it to you at all because you are so rude with your tactics. I really do suggest that you go to www.gpanalysis.com and check it out. It tracks actual sales of CGC graded comics and compiles the information. You can look at every individual sale price of any cgc book ever sold on ebay, through Heritage and several other venues. You need to quit using that comicspriceguide.com site. The information they have for most comics is so far off the mark it is not even funny. If you don't want to pay for a subscription to GPAnalysis.com go to the www.cgccomics.com and check out their chat boards. If you ask for someone to post the GPA information on Cap #241, they probably will. Or just ask about GPA or comicspriceguide.com. You can probably even ask about GPAnalysis.com on the comicspriceguide chat boards. At any rate, you are really misinformed and rude. I shouldn't even be bothering to help you learn something. In further response to your first e-mail, I know "how it works" I submit, sell, and buy hundreds of CGC graded books. Take a look at some of my recent sales on ebay.

Again, go the cgccomics.com or gpanalysis.com sites and learn something about comics, and then consider the fact that being polite rather than an arrogant, obnoxious, misinformed jerk will get you better responses when you make an offer.

Mike

You were too nice

Me:

His/her response:

Me:

Mike

hm , I received a PM that sounded alot like that.....

:blush:

Kudos to you Mike for taking the high road. I would have taken the sarcastic road less traveled (right after blocking him as a bidder). :insane:

This an e-mail I received through ebay from a potential buyer. The book in question is a CGC 9.6 Captain America #241 w/ white pages. 12 month GPA for this book is $100 with the last sale at $120. I think my list price is $125

Dear mikecmiles,

Your price is not even guide price. No one will ever but the that book at what your asking. Guide in cgc value is only 48.00 dollars and people spend on ebay half of guide. 24.00 is what people will spend. My offer will be a luttle more becuase i happen to like the cover. I will offer 35.00 i hope your smart enough to take it. Please note whatever you paid to get the book graded is not peoples concern. Thats not how it works. The way you make money off of cgc is 9.8 and up

CAPTAIN AMERICA # 241

Condition Value *CGC Value

(10)GEM MINT $96.00 $192.00

(9.9)MINT $64.00 $128.00

(9.8)NEAR MINT/MINT $32.00 $64.00

(9.6)NEAR MINT + $24.00 $48.00

:roflmao: Even a newb like me knows (to a degree) what high grade is worth. While I love buying slabs on the cheap when I can, I would never lowball/BS an offer like that... hm Well, not unless I knew I had a very good shot at getting a book on the cheap. lol Does this guy have any books for sale on e-Bay? I'd love to lowball him on some.

I hope a boards member who has read this thread bought this book.

Not out of solidarity with Mike so much as out of spite for this self-fisting offeror. :devil: