• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

List your favorite eBay marketing phrases that does nothing to help sell a comic

63 posts in this topic

In the old days of ebay, one irritating thing that sellers did (that you don't see that much any more) was the word L@@K!!! in their auction title.

A few others:-

"Freshly graded from CGC" Yeah, so?

"Bid early and bid often!!" Always a favourite, that one.

"VIVID!!" In other words, the art on the comic is visible. I suppose that helps.

You forgot the ubiquitous SAMCO **WOW!!**

**WOW!!** = common, low/mid grade silver with horrible pixelated scans.

The only WOW he delivers is the undisclosed color touch. :frustrated:

You're quite right, I'd forgotten, as my one and only experience with this seller was over 5 years ago. I think I sent back every comic I won from him (about 10 books) except for one.

....which you flipped for big profit

I think I kept it 'cause it made a nice coaster.

...which you sold for a nice profit.
Nah, I then used it as a hat.
...which you used as an attraction at conventions to sell books at a profit.

Yep, and then I sold it on the marketplace in the Hat Forum for a huge mark-up.

The proceeds were used to fund a collection purchase, which you sold at a huge profit.
Which enabled me to buy all the 9.8 100 pagers in the whole world. See how it all worked out in the end??

In the old days of ebay, one irritating thing that sellers did (that you don't see that much any more) was the word L@@K!!! in their auction title.

A few others:-

"Freshly graded from CGC" Yeah, so?

"Bid early and bid often!!" Always a favourite, that one.

"VIVID!!" In other words, the art on the comic is visible. I suppose that helps.

You forgot the ubiquitous SAMCO **WOW!!**

**WOW!!** = common, low/mid grade silver with horrible pixelated scans.

The only WOW he delivers is the undisclosed color touch. :frustrated:

You're quite right, I'd forgotten, as my one and only experience with this seller was over 5 years ago. I think I sent back every comic I won from him (about 10 books) except for one.

....which you flipped for big profit

I think I kept it 'cause it made a nice coaster.

...which you sold for a nice profit.
Nah, I then used it as a hat.
...which you used as an attraction at conventions to sell books at a profit.

Yep, and then I sold it on the marketplace in the Hat Forum for a huge mark-up.

The proceeds were used to fund a collection purchase, which you sold at a huge profit.
Which enabled me to buy all the 9.8 100 pagers in the whole world. See how it all worked out in the end??

L@@K 56532-greggywinnah.jpg

"hulk #181 cgc 9.8"

When its really for a mystery comic auction of which you could get anything :S

or cgc 9.8

THen you click "get it graded it could get a 9.8!"

:makepoint:

"This comic would be NM! except..."

Yeah...except it's missing the cover... :o

Yeah...except it's a G- beater... :insane:

Yeah...except it's got freakin marks-a-lot all over the cover... :devil:

Yeah...fill in the blank... :sumo:

I hate it when they list the book as follows

Fantastic Four #81 NM- in OSPG $100

Then in the item description you see it's graded as Fine :pullhair:

Rare

Scarce

Collectable

Collectible

Variant

Varient

Low Production Run

Aquaman Appearance

Rob Liefield

Tied for 4th on the Census, only 29 higher

Rick

"Aquaman appearance" (shrug)

I am surprised no one mentioned "MINTY".

I have seen ebayers that list their books as minty lol.

They must put a box of breath mints of something with it or maybe they are smelling like menthol cigarattes.

hehe

from loveable014k6y auction:

I'm still always amazed how many times people will email me after an auction ended and tell me how I should cancel the auction because they couldn't get their bid in on time and they were willing to go much higher etc.. etc... Folks, don't you know that there is absolutely NOTHING to be gained but regret by trying to bid at the last minute? The Winning approach is to decide what your Absolute maximum Maximum should be and put your bid in early. If your a serious bidder your bid will stand up to the scrutiny of all the last minute bidders and you will be victorious 9 out of 10 times.

from loveable014k6y auction:

I'm still always amazed how many times people will email me after an auction ended and tell me how I should cancel the auction because they couldn't get their bid in on time and they were willing to go much higher etc.. etc... Folks, don't you know that there is absolutely NOTHING to be gained but regret by trying to bid at the last minute? The Winning approach is to decide what your Absolute maximum Maximum should be and put your bid in early. If your a serious bidder your bid will stand up to the scrutiny of all the last minute bidders and you will be victorious 9 out of 10 times.

:roflmao:

Here's a mouthful of crass hyperbole, all in one single listing for an Iron Man # 1 that is in good condition:

HELLO you are looking at a very VERY VERY rare and hard to find IRON MAN #1 MARVEL COMIC silver age 1968 first iron man comic series. with the movie out this comic is going to go UP in value. this is a MUST HAVE for and IRON MAN FAN. NOTHING is cut out of the pages, and all pages ARE there. it looks to be off white its in pretty good condition for the age. ALSO i am not a grader but i will try to describe it to the best i can.... get it while its pretty cheap this comic is HOT!!!! get it CGC GRADED NOW before the movie comes out!!!! look at the pictures exactly what you are looking at, also please check feedback, i ship out how i would want my packages shipped. NO WORRIES FOR THE COLLECTOR

Same seller, different comic (GS X-Men 1):

IT REALLY VERY FINE CONDITION very clean, BUT i am not a grader...

I wonder why he didn't mention that the prospective buyer should hurry up and bid because two movies have already been released. He really made a marketing blunder on this one.

Here's a mouthful of crass hyperbole, all in one single listing for an Iron Man # 1 that is in good condition:

HELLO you are looking at a very VERY VERY rare and hard to find IRON MAN #1 MARVEL COMIC silver age 1968 first iron man comic series. with the movie out this comic is going to go UP in value. this is a MUST HAVE for and IRON MAN FAN. NOTHING is cut out of the pages, and all pages ARE there. it looks to be off white its in pretty good condition for the age. ALSO i am not a grader but i will try to describe it to the best i can.... get it while its pretty cheap this comic is HOT!!!! get it CGC GRADED NOW before the movie comes out!!!! look at the pictures exactly what you are looking at, also please check feedback, i ship out how i would want my packages shipped. NO WORRIES FOR THE COLLECTOR

And your IM comic would return a 5.0 with moderate resto..... PASS