• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1930s John Carter of Mars cartoon footage

20 posts in this topic

OMG that is so cool! I've only ever seen still images from this before. Had this project come to fruition it would have been the first full length animated feature - instead that honor went to Snow White a couple of years later. Thank you so much for posting this Sean!

In 1936 or so, Bob Clampett and ERB tried to make a serious, animated John Carter of Mars cartoon. Here''s snippets. Go read and watch.

Awesome. I am an ERB junkie - how cool would that had been if produced. It seems like it would have rivaled the Fleischer Superman cartoons as well as preceded them.

I am still waiting on a Carson of Venus (my favorite ERB series) movie (non-camp of course).

BTW, there was also an attempt to do a live-action version by Ray Harryhausen in the 50's, but it never got past the talking stage. For those that don't know,

Pixar currently has the rights and is supposed to have a live action version in the works for 2010-12. :wishluck:

BTW, there was also an attempt to do a live-action version by Ray Harryhausen in the 50's, but it never got past the talking stage. For those that don't know,

Pixar currently has the rights and is supposed to have a live action version in the works for 2010-12. :wishluck:

I keep hearing that but it never seems to happen. If done right would be great. :wishluck:

I keep hearing that but it never seems to happen. If done right would be great. :wishluck:

Especially if they did it in a style reminiscent of the 1930's. - That was the coolest thing I've seen in a while. A guy I know did some CGI animation that had a vintage animation style for a Christmas idea he was working on, and it looked incredibly cool.

Thats a wonderful clip! Makes you wonder if this inspired some scenes from FIRE & ICE!

I have a feeling that the long neglected JOHN CARTER is really going to take off when Pixar comes out with its version.

Theagens, those are some wonderful covers! Can you post any of the interiors?

thanks,

Bill

I remember when I was a kid reading the John carter from mars series by Edgar Rice Burroughs in hardcover. It was one of the first science fiction series I read. Would be cool if they made some modern movies based on this character. I even remember The Chessmen of Mars book because at the back of the book had instructions on how to play on a 10 by 10 board which I even made in shop class lol.

Theagens, those are some wonderful covers! Can you post any of the interiors?

thanks,

Bill

Sure - here's a few that I have hosted at the moment.

These first two pages are from JC's first comic appearance in The Funnies #30 by an unknown artist.

Funnies30int01edit2.jpg

Funnies30int02edit2.jpg

Starting with issue 34, the strip was taken over by John Coleman Burroughs, ERB's son, who also worked on the above animated film with Bob Clampett. Here is page by JCB from The Funnies #36:

Funnies36intsm2.jpg

Its cool they doing a new animation but I think this would make for a good movie series with actors. Might even be a good tv series lol.

Actually it is going to be live action even though it's Pixar, though it will no doubt be heavy CGI - 99% blue screen.

ahh nice. I just assumed Pixar = animation

I just read a link from the other link. Was trying to see who they have picked out for acting since that can make or break a movie .

Animated or live action, I'd just be happy to see a well-done JCoM movie.

And my first exposure to JCoM was through the Science Fiction Book Club editions with Frazetta covers.