• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any Joe Palooka fans?

35 posts in this topic

A long time ago, I picked up a small collection of Joe Palooka Comics... they were some of the first Golden age books I bought. The conditions ranged from VG to NM. Here are 2 of the better looking copies...

File0125.jpg

File0126.jpg

I have never seen anyone post any Joe Palooka books here... I guess they just aren't very popular? Anyone want to share your copies? Post them to the thread!

A long time ago, I picked up a small collection of Joe Palooka Comics... they were some of the first Golden age books I bought. The conditions ranged from VG to NM. Here are 2 of the better looking copies...

File0126.jpg

I have never seen anyone post any Joe Palooka books here... I guess they just aren't very popular? Anyone want to share your copies? Post them to the thread!

Island beauty in flowered sarong -- if Scrooge isn't already a fan, he will be now!

Nice-looking books. I have a few issues stashed away but no scans at hand. Some of the Cold War covers are especially interesting. Fisher apparently had very good ghosts (like Al Capp) and a "strong personality".

Jack

Island beauty in flowered sarong -- if Scrooge isn't already a fan, he will be now!

How well you know me. :grin: That's a fantastic and fun cover. (thumbs u

Some of the Cold War covers are especially interesting.

Yup. I picked this one up (clearly not as nice) when Ed had got a nice Palooka run. I should have bought the next issue as well since the story ends in # 67 :censored:

56661-JoePalooka66s.jpg.7e448e837b7c89790722c99e8aa30717.jpg

Nice-looking books. I have a few issues stashed away but no scans at hand. Some of the Cold War covers are especially interesting. Fisher apparently had very good ghosts (like Al Capp) and a "strong personality".

Jack

I don't have many "good girl art" covers, it didn't really seem like that kind of a series. But I like the cover to number 2 here (especially the expressions on their faces), and 12 has a nice looking gal:

File0127.jpg

File0128a.jpg

All of my issues are pre-cold war, so I didn't know about them, but that's one bondage cover that's not very fun ;).

Here are the War issues. I still have most of the run above issue 36.

But to answer your question , there really are no Palooka fans to speak of.

I think the 2 Commie books and the War books are undervalued by a lot.

68.jpg

70.jpg

Cool covers! Very different turn for the series from the earlier issues.

It's surprising that the earlier issues proclaimed 1,000,000 copies of each issue sold, 50,000,000 readers every day (in the strips, I believe), and yet today there are so few fans, and the issues don't seem to pop up very often. I wonder why he went down so much in popularity.

How many stories can you run about a boxer?

Seriously, I think it was two fold. One, Palooka was quaint and once the 60's hit, it seemed to lose touch with current issues. Plus it never knew what it wanted to be. A superhero?, A cartoon for kids? Soap opera in the dailies? Adult comedy like Beetle Baily?

How many stories can you run about a boxer?

Seriously, I think it was two fold. One, Palooka was quaint and once the 60's hit, it seemed to lose touch with current issues. Plus it never knew what it wanted to be. A superhero?, A cartoon for kids? Soap opera in the dailies? Adult comedy like Beetle Baily?

True. The comedy sidekick and some of the other features in the book like Little Max seemed very childish, yet other parts were more adult oriented. But I think if they had gone the route of "Adventurer", sort of an Indiana Jones/Doc Savage type character who was a boxer, soldier, and jack of all trades, it could have worked out. Several of the stories seemed to go in that direction, though not enough of them IMO.

While I prefer those types of stories myself, I think there is room for a niche where Palooka could have been a sort of guardian angel for a Little Max and skew the stories more for little kids. Max gets in trouble, Palooka saves the day, craziness ensues. A little kid of the 60's could relate to a Little Max much better than a Humphrey.

scan0126.jpg

Some great looking books posted so far. I would consider myself a Joe Palooka fan. Here are some of my copies.

JoePalookacollection.jpg

Some great looking books posted so far. I would consider myself a Joe Palooka fan. Here are some of my copies.

JoePalookacollection.jpg

Wow :o That is quite a run :applause: