• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: I need a free Pop Up Killer

13 posts in this topic

Can anyone recommend a free pop up killer? confused.gif

The key is to stop the programs that initiate a lot of the pop-ups.

You should run Ad-Aware and Spybot Search and Destroy on your machine.

Lavasoft (Ad-Aware)

SpyBot Search and Destroy

After that, I'd recommend loading the Google Toolbar. This has a built-in blocker and it will also allow you to do faster searches.

Google Toolbar (Near the bottom of the page)

Hope this helps....

A copy/paste from my useful info files! thumbsup2.gif

These look like windows dialog boxes, they are plain gray boxes with just black text. These are coming right from Windows XP or Win200 or some other versions of windows. They are not coming from the internet.

You basically need to disable the messenger service. (This is not the same as msn messenger.)It only really serves a purpose if you're on a network (particularly at work). If you get those Messenger popups at work, raise it with your own helpdesk - don't just go ahead and disable the service.

To disable it:

In Windows NT - go to Control Panel and Services

In Windows 2000 - go to Control Panel, Administrative Tools and then Services

XP - (see below)

You simply need to disable the service. No more of those alert boxes claiming that they can stop all kinds of spam! Just do it yourself

To disable in XP:

Click on the Start button and open the control panel•

Open the Performance and Maintenance control panel and go to Administrative Tools.•

double-click on COMPONENT Services•

pick services local, then scroll to Messenger•

Double-click Messenger and click Stop to stop the service•

You also need to right click on it's startup type (automatic or manual) select properties, change the startup type (on drop down) to Disable. be sure to click on apply changes.

========================================================

This is how I did it with XP Home Ed:

How to stop Messenger popup Spam - FREE:

These 4 easy steps will turn off the messenger service used to send messenger service popup ads. The Messenger service is not related to Windows Messenger or MSN Messenger:

1) Go to Start, then Run and type in services.msc Click Ok

2) Scroll to Messenger, select it, right click it and choose Properties.

3) Under startup choose "Disabled", then choose Stop.

4) When stopped, click Ok.

To reverse click atoumatic and start, then OK.

No more grey pop-up boxes! acclaim.gif

Thanks...installed the pop-up killer program yesterday and it's working great! thumbsup2.gif

I just started getting spam today in one of my e-mail accounts that had been spam-free for over a year. It's the account I get from my ISP (cable modem) which I access through Microsoft Outlook Express. Any suggestions on how I can stem the tide before it gets out of hand? I'd also like to cut the balls off whatever 893censored-thumb.gifnard got me on a spammer list... 893naughty-thumb.gif

Gene

Can anyone recommend a free pop up killer? confused.gif

The key is to stop the programs that initiate a lot of the pop-ups.

You should run Ad-Aware and Spybot Search and Destroy on your machine.

Lavasoft (Ad-Aware)

SpyBot Search and Destroy

After that, I'd recommend loading the Google Toolbar. This has a built-in blocker and it will also allow you to do faster searches.

Google Toolbar (Near the bottom of the page)

Hope this helps....

news.gifhey folks, sckao advice REALLY works, i followed his tips and procedure and now NO more pop ups! 893whatthe.gif plus my scanner works again, i guess my computer was really WAY fooked up! but thanks to sckao, it's almost ALL good! thumbsup2.gifacclaim.gifcloud9.gifflowerred.gif