• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Quality Comix vs. Greg Jortner - Important Information For The Community

324 posts in this topic

I've had dealings with Greg and Sparkle City for a little over a year. Over the last year I've sold over $180,000 in golden age books including my CGC 8.5 All Star #8 that went for $80,000. In that time I've only delt with Greg and everyting had gone better than I could have hoped. Greg always answered my questions, concerns and was willing to help out in any way possible. I can't address any issues with his past but from my experience he has been 100% professional and I have had no issues in dealing with him. I do believe that we all make mistakes and not every deal goes the way we hoped. With that being said I have no problem with Greg or Sparkle City and will continue to do business with them in the future. If anyone had any additional questions don't hesitate to ask.

I have a follow-up question. For clarification, this is directed at Patrick (Silvers).

On August 5th I wired you a $12,500 deposit for a book which I have still yet to receive or even be allowed to see. Under our written agreement, we agreed that as soon as I paid the deposit, I would be allowed to inspect, finish paying for, and pick up the book. I immediately wired you this money in good faith, because you told me you needed it right away. You told me that you needed money to send to your wife so that she could close on a house in Thailand and get back home from there. After I paid you, you changed the terms of our deal and told me I could not inspect the book, but that the book was being sent into CGC instead. When that didn't happen either, you have spent the past 5 months telling me repeatedly that you couldn't pay me back because SparkleCity owed you a lot of money from books you consigned to them that you were never paid for. Now it is difficult for me to even get you to respond to phone calls or texts. Since it turns out what you told me is not true, and you have been paid by Sparkle City for all your consignments with no problems, and I have still not been made whole, I'm just wondering when I can expect you to resolve this matter.

Thanks

Jeez man, that blows! What can one do to protect oneself in situations like this? Escrow maybe? $12.5K is a lot to lose down the drain... :(

I have never dealt with Silvers before,but thought him to be a valuable member here. Guess I was wrong. :eek:

There are two members here with very similar silver user names. One collects silver age DC's and is a good guy. The other one is this guy.

The good one has like a green DC 10 cent box for his avatar, right?

Yeah. That's him.

Anyone who collects Superboy and Sugar and Spike can't be too bad :shy:lol

I was trying to help your rep by using silver age DC's in general. :whistle:

To recap:

Silver :whee:

silvers :ohnoez:

I've had dealings with Greg and Sparkle City for a little over a year. Over the last year I've sold over $180,000 in golden age books including my CGC 8.5 All Star #8 that went for $80,000. In that time I've only delt with Greg and everyting had gone better than I could have hoped. Greg always answered my questions, concerns and was willing to help out in any way possible. I can't address any issues with his past but from my experience he has been 100% professional and I have had no issues in dealing with him. I do believe that we all make mistakes and not every deal goes the way we hoped. With that being said I have no problem with Greg or Sparkle City and will continue to do business with them in the future. If anyone had any additional questions don't hesitate to ask.

I have a follow-up question. For clarification, this is directed at Patrick (Silvers).

On August 5th I wired you a $12,500 deposit for a book which I have still yet to receive or even be allowed to see. Under our written agreement, we agreed that as soon as I paid the deposit, I would be allowed to inspect, finish paying for, and pick up the book. I immediately wired you this money in good faith, because you told me you needed it right away. You told me that you needed money to send to your wife so that she could close on a house in Thailand and get back home from there. After I paid you, you changed the terms of our deal and told me I could not inspect the book, but that the book was being sent into CGC instead. When that didn't happen either, you have spent the past 5 months telling me repeatedly that you couldn't pay me back because SparkleCity owed you a lot of money from books you consigned to them that you were never paid for. Now it is difficult for me to even get you to respond to phone calls or texts. Since it turns out what you told me is not true, and you have been paid by Sparkle City for all your consignments with no problems, and I have still not been made whole, I'm just wondering when I can expect you to resolve this matter.

Thanks

Did this ever get resolved?

I just have to say someone lying about getting paid by a proven liar (Jortner) just makes me feel that the "rehabilitation" of Greg Jortner under the wing of Brian Howard and Sparkle City Comics does not pass the smell test to me. Unfair? Perhaps, but lying on such a grand scale makes it nearly impossible to take that person at their word ever again.

I couldn't imagine sending someone 12k and not getting anything in return.

I can promise you I would show up at someone's door if they stole 12k from me. No lie.

Filter, I really hope you got reimbursed or received the book for that money you sent him.

On 12/18/2013 at 9:35 PM, Jiminy_Cricket-migration said:

Why are there so many bad eggs in this hobby? Is it because scammers are attracted to the hobby knowing law enforcement doesn't give comics the same respect as antiques, coins, art, or even baseball cards/ sports sigs?

Bingo.

But that's changing. I think you'll see some prosecutions over the next few years for fraud / shill bidding / tax evasion.