• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Quality Comix vs. Greg Jortner - Important Information For The Community

324 posts in this topic

Why does Brian employ the guy (shrug)

No kidding. An employer not doing a Google search on a potential hire is not terribly competent. Even more so with someone who is making deals, handling money, etc. That's been a common procedure for at least a decade. Greg Jortner's entire debacle on this board is the third link down in the results. :facepalm:

They're well aware of Greg's past.

Is it confirmed that this guy is the head buyer for Sparkle City?

Yes, I don't know about "head" but he's absolutely one of the primary buyers. People (and a number of dealers) have had several dealings with him while at Sparkle City.

No kidding. An employer not doing a Google search on a potential hire is not terribly competent. Even more so with someone who is making deals, handling money, etc. That's been a common procedure for at least a decade. Greg Jortner's entire debacle on this board is the third link down in the results. :facepalm:

Wow. Must be some serious live and let live philosophy going on in that business. If they hire a guy like that, it makes you wonder who else is employed there, what kinds of things they overlook, and what potentially ethical issues they shortcut with such an accepting policy on previous legitimate legal problems of their employees.

It's amazing how such places can get business, but even more amazing is how many customers (like myself) know nothing about what goes on behind the scenes, allowing places like this to continue profiting using employees who's expertise is gleaned from ripping people off.

Not sure who bumped the thread, but :golfclap:

Wow. Must be some serious live and let live philosophy going on in that business. If they hire a guy like that, it makes you wonder who else is employed there, what kinds of things they overlook, and what potentially ethical issues they shortcut with such an accepting policy on previous legitimate legal problems of their employees.

It's amazing how such places can get business, but even more amazing is how many customers (like myself) know nothing about what goes on behind the scenes, allowing places like this to continue profiting using employees who's expertise is gleaned from ripping people off.

Not sure who bumped the thread, but :golfclap:

But I must throw this out there for thought. SparkleCity has one of the better reputations I have seen on eBay. Despite the massive amount of auctions that they produce each week on eBay, they are easy to reach, available to listen as far as concerns go, make sure to deliver an excellent product and I do not know anyone else that uses more bubble wrap than they do for a slab whether it is $35 or $3500.

Does SparkleCity itself as a business entity all of a sudden get a boycott from the collecting community for hiring an unscrupulous individual while in the past few years as a business entity has earned a reputation as a reliable comic book dealer?

Hello Boardies,

I felt I needed to respond to this because the Sparkle City name is now being brought into question. I hope I can provide some insight.

Before the recent timely bump, the last post in this thread was nearly 5 years ago. Greg joined Sparkle City almost 3 years ago. In the time between this thread and his hiring by SC, Greg worked with/for multiple large dealers and some high profile and respected boardies.

When I started to consider working with Greg he provided current references and was given the stipulation that his past issues would have to be resolved. To my knowledge, they all were (if you have unresolved issue, please contact me directly and I would be happy to mediate). The issue with Brent was resolved in approx. 2008/09 when he was paid in full plus interest. The details outlined in this thread regarding that situation represent some of the facts, not all of them.

Perhaps one of Greg's biggest mistakes was not responding to this thread when it first happened. The information in this thread is incomplete at best. This is not to say that Greg acted as I would have or allow in the scope of my business in some of these cases, but to my knowledge not all information here is accurate and everything has been resolved, most were years before he joined us. In a hobby where we have dealers who have been proven (not simply alleged) to shill their own auctions, embezzle funds, swap out books, peddle Frankenstein books and exploit gaps in CGC grading as well as use strong arm tactics Greg certainly is not the most evil man in comics. I don't believe he is beyond redemption.

I believe in the virtue of forgiveness and that people deserve a chance to change for the better. Many of the people who were involved with Greg around the time this thread was created are good friends with him today and continue to seek opportunities to do business with him. Hopefully the fact that he is part of a trusted and honest professional organization will re-assure those concerned anout issues in the past. While those who worked with Greg before he came to work with Sparkle City had no concern for him resolving past issues or in helping him better himself, that was not my position.

I discussed all of this extensively with Mark Zaid and was satisfied that matters had been resolved and Greg was not acting maliciously. Mark has done business with Sparkle City and has discussed books with Greg since his hiring.

Sparkle City has been operating with Greg as a part for the past 3 years and I have not seen any malicious intent or out of the ordinary issues arise. Nobody is perfect and there is always the risk of miscommunication, misunderstanding or error. If anything ever arises I do my best to resolve it fairly (even if I'm serving only as a mediator). I can't claim perfection, but I take every problem brought to my attention seriously and work to resolve it promptly. To my knowledge we do have hundreds of satisfied customers and clients as well as many dealers who we regularly partner with and buy from.

Keep in mind that there is always more to a story than you may know. Anyone who has dealt with Sparkle City, with Me or with Greg in the past 3 years can hopefully provide some relevant feedback as to the professionalism, service and integrity of the Sparkle City Comics organization.

Hello Boardies,

I felt I needed to respond to this because the Sparkle City name is now being brought into question. I hope I can provide some insight.

Before the recent timely bump, the last post in this thread was nearly 5 years ago. Greg joined Sparkle City almost 3 years ago. In the time between this thread and his hiring by SC, Greg worked with/for multiple large dealers and some high profile and respected boardies.

When I started to consider working with Greg he provided current references and given the stipulation that his past issues would have to be resolved. To my knowledge, they all were (if you have unresolved issue, please contact me directly and I would be happy to mediate). The issue with Brent was resolved in approx. 2008/09 when he was paid in full plus interest. The details outlined in this thread regarding that situation represent some of the facts, not all of them.

Perhaps one of Greg's biggest mistakes was not responding to this thread when it first happened. The information in this thread is incomplete at best. This is not to say that Greg acted as I would have or allow in the scope of my business in some of these cases, but to my knowledge not all information here is accurate and everything has been resolved, most were years before he joined us. In a hobby where we have dealers who have been proven (not simply alleged) to shill their own auctions, embezzle funds, swap out books, peddle Frankenstein books and exploit gaps in CGC grading as well as use strong arm tactics Greg certainly is not the most evil man in comics. I don't believe he is beyond redemption.

I believe in the virtue of forgiveness and that people deserve a chance to change for the better. Many of the people who were involved with Greg around the time this thread was created are good friends with him today and continue to seek opportunities to do business with him. Hopefully the fact that he is part of a trusted and honest professional organization will re-assure those concerned anout issues in the past. While those who worked with Greg before he came to work with Sparkle City had no concern for him resolving past issues or in helping him better himself, that was not my position.

I discussed all of this extensively with Mark Zaid and was satisfied that matters had been resolved and Greg was not acting maliciously. Mark has done business with Sparkle City and has discussed books with Greg since his hiring.

Sparkle City has been operating with Greg as a part for the past 3 years and there have been no issues of any sort. We do have hundreds of satisfied customers and clients as well as many dealers who we regularly partner with and buy from.

Keep in mind that there is always more to a story than you may know. Anyone who has dealt with Sparkle City, with Me or with Greg in the past 3 years can hopefully provide some relevant feedback as to the professionalism, service and integrity of the Sparkle City Comics organization.

See my post right above this. I have nothing but good things to say about SparkleCity. My dealings with you guys have always been pleasant ones and I have been a repeat customer.

Hello Boardies,

When I started to consider working with Greg he provided current references and given the stipulation that his past issues would have to be resolved. To my knowledge, they all were (if you have unresolved issue, please contact me directly and I would be happy to mediate). The issue with Brent was resolved in approx. 2008/09 when he was paid in full plus interest. The details outlined in this thread regarding that situation represent some of the facts, not all of them.

Sparkle City has been operating with Greg as a part for the past 3 years and there have been no issues of any sort. We do have hundreds of satisfied customers and clients as well as many dealers who we regularly partner with and buy from.

Sounds like you're doing business just fine without my contributing to it. However, let me leave you with a bit of advice as I leave this thread:

A leopard doesn't change it's spots.

This will happen to you, and most likely - you will conduct yourselves the way the clients I have dealt with over the very same issue: you will quietly sweep it under the carpet to avoid marketplace embarrassment and loss of consumer confidence.

The only reason - and I mean only reason - people such as yourself feel the need to say the things that you do about people like this is because they haven't gotten around to bending you over like they have everyone else.

Good luck.

Hello Boardies,

When I started to consider working with Greg he provided current references and was given the stipulation that his past issues would have to be resolved. To my knowledge, they all were (if you have unresolved issue, please contact me directly and I would be happy to mediate). The issue with Brent was resolved in approx. 2008/09 when he was paid in full plus interest. The details outlined in this thread regarding that situation represent some of the facts, not all of them.

Sparkle City has been operating with Greg as a part for the past 3 years and I have not seen any malicious intent or out of the ordinary issues arise. Nobody is perfect and there is always the risk of miscommunication, misunderstanding or error. If anything ever arises I do my best to resolve it fairly (even if I'm serving only as a mediator). I can't claim perfection, but I take every problem brought to my attention seriously and work to resolve it promptly. To my knowledge we do have hundreds of satisfied customers and clients as well as many dealers who we regularly partner with and buy from.

Thanks for the response. I wasn't trying to be a troublemaker in bumping this thread. But I was surprised when I found out Mr. Jortner was part of Sparkle City. I bid on at least one book in most of your auctions(I never win :lol:), so this took me back a little bit. I do believe in forgiveness and redemption, so I hope Greg has changed. Having said that, seeing that there are other respected members of this community who still won't do business with Mr. Jortner, I'll be more careful when bidding on your auctions in the future.

I don't see an issue with SC auctions because of one person who works in purchasing. Perhaps i'm missing something that would make me feel leery about buying from them. I ask legitimately because they have an item ending tonight i've been watching.

I don't see an issue with SC auctions because of one person who works in purchasing. Perhaps i'm missing something that would make me feel leery about buying from them. I ask legitimately because they have an item ending tonight i've been watching.

You answered your own question, buy your books and enjoy them. (thumbs u

159.gif

I should have probably made my earlier post a little clearer.

I do biz with Brian and Sparkle City all the time with no problems. Brian and I are friends. It's only Greg that I will never deal with, not Sparkle City.

Hello Boardies,

Sir you are building a comic empire on Ebay just be carful your business dosnt need bad press about a bad apple

Other than that keep up the good service to your customers we have grown to expect :)

Hello Boardies,

Please let us know who these people are, so we can judge for ourselves if they are "respected". For all I know, you might think Doug Schmell is a respected dealer.

Then please set the record straight and tell us the missing facts.

Perhaps one of Greg's biggest mistakes was not responding to this thread when it first happened. The information in this thread is incomplete at best. This is not to say that Greg acted as I would have or allow in the scope of my business in some of these cases, but to my knowledge not all information here is accurate

Then please set the record straight with accurate information.

and everything has been resolved, most were years before he joined us. In a hobby where we have dealers who have been proven (not simply alleged) to shill their own auctions, embezzle funds, swap out books, peddle Frankenstein books and exploit gaps in CGC grading as well as use strong arm tactics Greg certainly is not the most evil man in comics.

:facepalm:

Keep in mind that there is always more to a story than you may know.

Then please take this opportunity to set the record straight.

Anyone who has dealt with Sparkle City, with Me or with Greg in the past 3 years can hopefully provide some relevant feedback as to the professionalism, service and integrity of the Sparkle City Comics organization.

When I read the kind of feedback I've read in this thread from people like Steve Borock, Mark Zaid, and Blazing Bob, I tend to believe them a bit more than a person's employer.