• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Quality Comix vs. Greg Jortner - Important Information For The Community

324 posts in this topic

We should all be thankful to have Mark in our community and I

admire his efforts to take on those not willing to do business in

a truthful manner.

Mark, I sure hope you succeed in helping Brent recoup his funds

because he is truly one of the good guys in our hobby and doesn't

deserve this run around.

Keep up the good work Mark and good luck to both of you. (thumbs u

:foryou:

Edited by Fazybones

Mark and I have been friends for over twenty years,but I must say I find his putting this in a public forum a bit troublesome. In his letter of april 7th,he writes that it would be unfortunate if he needs to bring Silver Age into this,but then sends a cc of the letter to Silver Age.This also bothers me.

Then there are the books this guy sent as payment to Brent.They were meant as a payment. Evidently the guy and Brent are having a serious business dispute.Is there any sort of written agreement here?Seems like Brent was expecting the entire amount of the ebay sales until he got his investment back,and the guy seems to think they are splitting it 50-50 all the way.

Isn't this the point where Judge Judy would ask to see the written contract and have a few choice words for the two of them?

I'm not saying Mark isn't in the right pursuing this evident deadbeat,just that I'm not sure this needs to be here.

Good luck to both Mark and Brent. I hate when things like this happen. It is particularly damaging to the reputation of dealers as a group when things like this happen. And it really hurts the legitimacy of the hobby as a whole.

Hopefully, most will realize that this IS in fact not typical of the majority of dealers and that most of us are simply trying to make a living, while trading in a hobby that we love. And that most of us are not out to screw people over.

I think it just goes to show you that you should deal with people with good reputations and not every fly by night dealer who happens to come down the pike.

At the very least, I would imagine there are going to be some very interesting conversations in NYC about this.

Well, two out of three lawyers have disagreed with you... (shrug)
Now 3 out of 4. Nothing says you have to keep business disputes private.

For shadroch: You don't always have to have a writing to have a contract.

Your actions after the fact can establish a contract existed. Here, he acknowledges the debt and even tries to send books and/or promises more money.

No further posts have emanated from "silveragegus".

Although Mr. Jortner did claim on April 11, 2008, that he had shipped the books, no comics have been received. Requests for a tracking number have gone unanswered. As this is typical of Mr. Jortner's behavior, whether the books ultimately show up or not it is time that the community becomes aware of his conduct.

The next step is to pursue legal action against Mr. Jortner and, if necessary, explore whether a judgment can be pursued for funds/books held by Silver Age Comics.

This whole continuing episode gives a black eye to our community, but hopefully it will remain the exception rather than the norm, especially if the community reacts to ensure it does not happen again.

I hope this information assists others in reaching an informed decision on whether to do business with Mr. Jortner in the future.

Mark thanks for the info. This kind of stuff really pisses me off not only because it casts yet "another" negative shadow on the collecting community, but also slows up other court proceedings. Simply put it takes up judges time, keeps alleged, soon to be convicted criminals behind bars that much longer causing tax payers to shelve out more $$$. Good luck in your case, as I wouldn't be surprised if this broke :censored: insufficiently_thoughtful_person switches the title on everything he owns and lists it under his wife or close relative. I have been though a similar situation where a paid handyman never completed the work we negotiated in his contract. Have you searched a criminal database to see if there are any existing warrants or court orders filed against him? In my case there were 6 others...IMO once a deadbeat always a deadbeat. After reading this, along with Steve's 156 page thread I will never engage in a buy or sale w/ Jortner, Gus, nor SilverAgeComics. :devil:

Edited by CarolinaComix

Well, two out of three lawyers have disagreed with you... (shrug)
Now 3 out of 4. Nothing says you have to keep business disputes private.

For shadroch: You don't always have to have a writing to have a contract.

Not that I'm an attorney...

The word allegedly has been used, there is no legal requirement barring anyone from bringing any business dealing to public attention (short of a NDA), and the level of evidence needed in civil court is far lower than criminal court. Your burden is usually only a preponderance in civil court.

Based on what I've read here, this case is a slam dunk.

WOW. What a collection of scamming scumbags.

Looks like a bunch of Danny D's in the making, as soon as their criminal records catch up with their criminal actions.

Ebay should ban anyone who sells stuff that they pretend they actually have and have the power to sell as per the final auction price and they fail to deliver.

Reminds me of what is going on in the financial world...