• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Quality Comix vs. Greg Jortner - Important Information For The Community

324 posts in this topic

Yep, Cincy has alot of violent crime and the are #1 in Ohio for fraud too (Columbus is #2), FYI.

:acclaim:

I figured as much. The only times I go downtown are to catch an occasional Reds game or when the Browns come down to play he Bengals. I try to avoid downtown like the plague. And I think people outside of Ohio probably think Cincy is just nasty even though there are some amazing areas.

Boy, this thread derailed hard and fast. doh!

Its funny that you say that.. Now go review the post as it sits next to your avatar. HILLARIOUS

Does that post come in English, too?

The problem with Cincinnati is this…

Decades ago the middle and upper class left the city for the suburbs. Big yards and great schools. These folks only returned to the city for sporting events and festivals. Then the crime moved into the city along with government housing. Cincy then got a few black eyes from the riots and unrest. Instead of fixing the problems city council wasted time on pet projects and listening to activists.

However, a slow change has been taken place over the past few years. High price inner city lofts and condos are replacing the empty buildings. Believe it or not the real estate was selling well until the housing market tanked. It appears people are beginning to move back into the city. The low income class and government housing is now being pushed out into the nearby suburbs.

With the banks project finally getting started I this process accelerating. I see a bright future for Cincinnati in 10 years.

A few years back Cincinnati was selected as the most Livable City in the USA. So don't knock us just yet.

This thread has been of incredible value to the community. I have been contacted by multiple people who have alleged similar experiences to that of Brent. Even today I was contacted by two new collectors/dealers who also knew of at least two other individuals in apparently in the same boat. And these are individuals who rarely, if ever, post on the CGC boards but still found out about the current situation through these boards.

The alleged debts have now, based on what I was told, reached over six figures. Of course, again, this is only what we know about. As the USGOV frequently tells me, we don't know what we don't know.

Yep, Cincy has alot of violent crime and the are #1 in Ohio for fraud too (Columbus is #2), FYI.

Yeah, but that's just because of the Bengals.

This thread has been of incredible value to the community. I have been contacted by multiple people who have alleged similar experiences to that of Brent. Even today I was contacted by two new collectors/dealers who also knew of at least two other individuals in apparently in the same boat. And these are individuals who rarely, if ever, post on the CGC boards but still found out about the current situation through these boards.

The alleged debts have now, based on what I was told, reached over six figures. Of course, again, this is only what we know about. As the USGOV frequently tells me, we don't know what we don't know.

Congrats Mark :applause:

I hope this guy gets what he deserves

The problem with Cincinnati is this…

Decades ago the middle and upper class left the city for the suburbs. Big yards and great schools. These folks only returned to the city for sporting events and festivals. Then the crime moved into the city along with government housing. Cincy then got a few black eyes from the riots and unrest. Instead of fixing the problems city council wasted time on pet projects and listening to activists.

However, a slow change has been taken place over the past few years. High price inner city lofts and condos are replacing the empty buildings. Believe it or not the real estate was selling well until the housing market tanked. It appears people are beginning to move back into the city. The low income class and government housing is now being pushed out into the nearby suburbs.

With the banks project finally getting started I this process accelerating. I see a bright future for Cincinnati in 10 years.

A few years back Cincinnati was selected as the most Livable City in the USA. So don't knock us just yet.

I used to like watching WKRP in Cincinatti :cloud9:

Venus Flytrap and Dr. Johnny Fever RULE!!!!! :headbang:

Les Nesman reminded me of a comic collector

Edited by djpinkpanther67

Wow, I have been on the phone or computer all day long with "victims" of Jortner.

This web is thicker and wider than anyone thought. Overlapping sales and purchases to multiple people. :o

Also classic tale of robbing Peter to pay Paul. :sumo:

Wow, I have been on the phone or computer all day long with "victims" of Jortner.

As the dollar figure continues to grow, you might want to also think about the potential criminal aspect of this whole affair - as you know, I may be able to help out in that regard.

Oh, absolutely. I've made that quite clear to Mr. Jortner already that it is in the works. :makepoint:

As an aside, at times when we are in heated discussions on these boards some will say that "well, there is only a small segment of the collecting/dealing population who frequent here so there is only a minority of views represented" in order to minimize the significance or impact of other's posts.

Why do I mention that? Well, if anyone doubted the potential power of these threads to do both good or harm, just type "Greg Jortner" into Google's search engine and THIS thread comes up as the second and third responsive links.

In this case, that is a good thing. The information in this thread NEEDS to be widely known by as many people as possible.

But I take this moment to remind people to be cautious and mature with respect to the information they post as the comments they make about items and individuals can have serious repercussions for themselves and third parties. 2c

Has Heritage moved its operations to NY?

Or PGX? How about Jason Ewert? Mile High? ect,ect,ad nauseum

I haven't heard of Heritage or Mile High defrauding people. It's one thing to complain that someone like Mile High misgrades (or actually, just doesn't grade the same way you do), and does have a return policy. It's something else entirely when someone takes your money, or sells you a book as unrestored, when they have trimmed and color touched it.

I'm talking about stuff like this Jortner business, Dupcak, Comic-Keys, etc.

And I stated outside of comics as well. It seems like every cell phone reseller is out of Jersey, and they sell refurbs as new phones (this has happened to me twice now). Or here is another example from Jersey:

http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0069.htm

This is apparently the location of BuyRiteElectonics.com, The Digital Store, Best Camera, and Ideal Photo and Video. Nice storefront for a web vendor!

Or here is the location of AffordableHomeElectronics.com:

http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0041.htm

I guess they must sell the electronics right off their kitchen counter top. Hopefully you don't get a toaster with the toast still in it!

It just seems like NY and NJ have a higher concentration of seedy business deals than other areas. I'm not saying it doesn't happen other places... I mean 71% of all online fraud in the world originates from the US. Since US is #1 in fraud, and NY City is #1 in population (and NJ catches the spill over), I guess it makes s

ense that more fraud seems to come out of that area.

(tsk) maybe it's because New York has higher concentration of sentient beings than most of the country.

I hope you are able to get this individual to pay up and hopefully he receives a little jail time as well to help remind him of the errors of his ways. Stealing is a no no (tsk)

I purchased a number of CGC graded books, totally about $4,000 from Silver Age Comics. Each purchase I made from SilverAgeComics was completely random in every sense of the word. They simply happen to have the books I was looking for. When I bought his X-men#1 at NYCC, someone pointed to Gus by name and I turned to him and said, 'Hi, I'm the guy who picked up book XXX from you two weeks ago. Thanks!!" So, thankfully, everything has worked out for me with SilverAgeComics and I have no qualms about buying from them in the future.

As a side note: I do NOT buy RAW books online for a number of reasons. So, I cannot make any claims as to how well SAComics is with RAW books. Slabbed books, I have had ZERO problems.

-Issa

I purchased a number of CGC graded books, totally about $4,000 from Silver Age Comics. Each purchase I made from SilverAgeComics was completely random in every sense of the word. They simply happen to have the books I was looking for. When I bought his X-men#1 at NYCC, someone pointed to Gus by name and I turned to him and said, 'Hi, I'm the guy who picked up book XXX from you two weeks ago. Thanks!!" So, thankfully, everything has worked out for me with SilverAgeComics and I have no qualms about buying from them in the future.

As a side note: I do NOT buy RAW books online for a number of reasons. So, I cannot make any claims as to how well SAComics is with RAW books. Slabbed books, I have had ZERO problems.

-Issa

Well, to each his own Issa, but as far as I am concerned this is about more than just a satisfactory transaction.

Greg Jortner is an absolute fraud. This is indisputable. If there were any question that a reasonable person could differ in opinion about this, I would never have created this thread.

Silver_Age_Comics/Gus continues to do business with Jortner despite unequivocally knowing about the fraudulent misrepresentations and unlawful transactions Jortner has engaged in, some of which were actually under the monocle of Silver_Age_Comics. If Gus' company doesn't have the ethical wherewithal to stop doing business with an individual such as this because financially it behooves them and means more than their reputation, then this is a company I would never ever consider doing business with, and I would hope others would take this into consideration before doing otherwise.

Whether dealer or collector, we complain about the fraud in our hobby, particularly on the Internet, and yet too many people allow the conduct to perpetuate because their individual transaction went smoothly. If we want things to change, if we want fraud minimized, then we need to be above the notion of "I want that book and don't care who is selling it", or "well, they treated me right so I have nothing to complain about."

Otherwise, there is no message sent and people like Gus and Jortner keep trodding along waiting for the next sucker to come along. It might be you one day. I hope not.

-Issa

Well, to each his own Issa, but as far as I am concerned this is about more than just a satisfactory transaction.

Greg Jortner is an absolute fraud. This is indisputable. If there were any question that a reasonable person could differ in opinion about this, I would never have created this thread.

Silver_Age_Comics/Gus continues to do business with Jortner despite unequivocally knowing about the fraudulent misrepresentations and unlawful transactions Jortner has engaged in, some of which were actually under the monocle of Silver_Age_Comics. If Gus' company doesn't have the ethical wherewithal to stop doing business with an individual such as this because financially it behooves them and means more than their reputation, then this is a company I would never ever consider doing business with, and I would hope others would take this into consideration before doing otherwise.

Whether dealer or collector, we complain about the fraud in our hobby, particularly on the Internet, and yet too many people allow the conduct to perpetuate because their individual transaction went smoothly. If we want things to change, if we want fraud minimized, then we need to be above the notion of "I want that book and don't care who is selling it", or "well, they treated me right so I have nothing to complain about."

Otherwise, there is no message sent and people like Gus and Jortner keep trodding along waiting for the next sucker to come along. It might be you one day. I hope not.

:tonofbricks: Rhetorical slam dunk.