• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Quality Comix vs. Greg Jortner - Important Information For The Community

324 posts in this topic

One thing ..... Im from NJ, and take offense to the "shady NY/NJ dealers"

There are hands down more good then bad here, people and dealers. And gee ya think some town in Ex: Kentucky with a population of 500 (vs.NYC/NJ which are in the millions. ) would really give you better odds ? And another thing , so yea there are some real POS's . How many people on the boards are willing to bend over backwards to pull resources to help you find a book ? How many GREAT dealers are there at the major conventions, how many local shows can you find in NY/NJ on any given weekend ? And the Ebay garbage is whats brought up ? You dont like how SA Comics do business ? Call him and tell him hes worthless, whats he gonna do ? 1 Call isnt harrassing. This hits me the same way hollywood does, act like this area is the armpit of the USA. Yet we are the lifeblood of the country.

My rants over. Bash an area where people dont have pride. I love NJ and doubt I could ever leave.

There are hands down more good then bad here, people and dealers. And gee ya think some town in Ex: Kentucky with a population of 500 (vs.NYC/NJ which are in the millions. ) would really give you better odds ? And another thing , so yea there are some real POS's . How many people on the boards are willing to bend over backwards to pull resources to help you find a book ? How many GREAT dealers are there at the major conventions, how many local shows can you find in NY/NJ on any given weekend ? And the Ebay garbage is whats brought up ? You dont like how SA Comics do business ? Call him and tell him hes worthless, whats he gonna do ? 1 Call isnt harrassing. This hits me the same way hollywood does, act like this area is the armpit of the USA. Yet we are the lifeblood of the country.

My rants over. Bash an area where people dont have pride. I love NJ and doubt I could ever leave.

Any search on crime data will show people that my fair state of Ohio probably has the most bad apples in it than NY, NJ, Cali, Michigan or Chicago. Ohioans have the dubious distinction of having top notch cities to engage in illegal activity which include but not limited to Cleveland, Cincinnati, Dayton, Youngstown, etc....

I enjoyed my visit to NYC. Had a blast and nobody messed with me. Now Chicago, ugghh, you couldn't pay me to go back. I'd rather hand out in Detroit or Flint before I ever go back to Chicago.

This hits me the same way hollywood does, act like this area is the armpit of the USA. Yet we are the lifeblood of the country.

Lifeblood of the country? A little presumptuous I think.

No, NYC is definately on top.

On top of what? :baiting:

Any search on crime data will show people that my fair state of Ohio probably has the most bad apples in it than NY, NJ, Cali, Michigan or Chicago. Ohioans have the dubious distinction of having top notch cities to engage in illegal activity which include but not limited to Cleveland, Cincinnati, Dayton, Youngstown, etc....

I enjoyed my visit to NYC. Had a blast and nobody messed with me. Now Chicago, ugghh, you couldn't pay me to go back. I'd rather hand out in Detroit or Flint before I ever go back to Chicago.

NYC is way overhyped when it comes to crime/violence. Most of it happens in the "ghettos" or other less then desireable areas. But I think you would find this true of any state that has these types of areas. It just comes down to population percentages.

What was so bad about chicago ? I have never been.

This hits me the same way hollywood does, act like this area is the armpit of the USA. Yet we are the lifeblood of the country.

Lifeblood of the country? A little presumptuous I think.

No, NYC is definately on top.

On top of what? :baiting:

Big business, central office locations. Banking, stock market.

I'm an Ohioan that's been to NYC, Boston, Detroit, and Chicago several times. Detroit ranks slightly below NY, with Boston and Chicago feeling much more "friendly" to me. I'd live in any of them except for Detroit. What a -box.

What was so bad about chicago ? I have never been.

1.Nearly got run over crossing Mich. Ave. When the light turns green they don't care if you are in the middle of the road, those cars are moving.

2.Encountered the most beggars, boot shiners, window washers and other assorted characters trying to swing a buck than any other city i've been to.

3.An old lady (like 70+) told me to get the F*** out of her way in front of the Nike store. In all fairness it was xmas season so maybe she was in a real hurry or something :)

4.Drunk fell down 4 rows of seats and crashed on top of my back and head at the Blackhawks game, spilling beer and whatever all over me. And, I was "accosted" out front of the arena prior to the game because some rent a cop thought I was scalping tickets. I had a ticket to the game when some hobo came up to me trying to sell tickets. I tried politely to tell him to get lost when the cop barged in and assumed the wrong thing. The shady guy briskly took off leaving me there to explain to the cop who was less than eager to listen.

All in all my trips to Chicago have been pretty horrible. Now my wife loves it. I guess for the shopping. Whatever, I do what I can to stay away.

I'm an Ohioan that's been to NYC, Boston, Detroit, and Chicago several times. Detroit ranks slightly below NY, with Boston and Chicago feeling much more "friendly" to me. I'd live in any of them except for Detroit. What a -box.

I'm a huge Red Wings fan so I try not to bag on Detroit too much. I was just there and had a good time gambling at the MGM. But you can't argue that it is definitely the crappiest place I've seen. I didn't get bothered by people much but the place is just dirty, no two streets are parallel to one another and you're pretty much in a bad part of town no matter which direction you go. At least it seemed that way to me.

By the way we quickly ended our stay in Detroit, cancelled the rest of our reservation and crossed over to Windsor and spent the rest of the weekend there. Now Canadians, those are some nice people.

It always amazes me when people go to a city for a short visit and think they have a grasp on what the city is like. Thats like a European thinking he knows America after a week in Disney,or spring breakers thinking they know Mexico because they were in Cancun for five days.

It always amazes me when people go to a city for a short visit and think they have a grasp on what the city is like. Thats like a European thinking he knows America after a week in Disney,or spring breakers thinking they know Mexico because they were in Cancun for five days.

There's some truth to that. But you don't have to be a rocket scientist to see some of the obvious. I look at a place like Chicago, where i've been numerous times and almost without fail have had bad experiences. That doesn't mean i'm an expert on Chicago but it doesn't invalidate my opinion of the place when you take into context the fact that I'm generalizing about certain areas I've frequented and not every square inch of a particular city/state.

You must be smoking something (that is rooutinely bought and sold in Flint). I lived in Flint for 5 years. It's pretty much a hellhole in my book. The only good part about Flint was leaving it. Chicago is hands down better.

After doing some more research, I will have to admit that NY/NJ may not be the worst area of the country for fraud, depending on how you look at it. According to the National Consumers League, the #1 origination of mail order/ internet fraud in the US is California. The #2 location is NY. NJ didn't make the top five.

However, according to the FTC statistics, they NYC, Northern NJ, and Long Island Metro area is #1 in the nation for fraud based on total fraud. However, per capita, it is only #45. #2 is LA Long Beach Santa Ana metro area total fraud. The Washington DC metro area is #1 in the nation for fraud, per capita.

So some of the stats do back up that fraud is highest in NY/NJ but when paired with the per capita data, it appears to be higher simply because more people live there. And in relation to Ohio, all of the cities in Ohio combined have fewer fraud cases than just the NYC metro area. Per capita though the NYC metro area and the state of Ohio are about equal.

Perhaps it just seems worse since the NYC Metro area is 6720 sq.mi. and Ohio is 44,825 sq.mi. So the fraud density is NYC Metro is an order of magnitude higher (3 cases per sq.mi.) compared to Ohio (.3 cases per sq.mi.). Compare NYC Metro to the state of KY (.1 cas per sq.mi.), or even the ~1 case per sq.mi. for the DC metro area. Or basically, in a given area, there are 3X as many frauds in Ohio, 10X more frauds in DC Metro Area, and 30X as many frauds in NYC Metro area, when compared to the state of KY. Perhaps this is why NY/NJ business partnerships would seem risky to me...

Edited by Broken Shakespear

I grew up in Michigan and agree D-town isn't the best place but once you get outside the city limits it is a beautiful place. It's just too bad the economy sucks there now.

You must be smoking something (that is rooutinely bought and sold in Flint). I lived in Flint for 5 years. It's pretty much a hellhole in my book. The only good part about Flint was leaving it. Chicago is hands down better.

After doing some more research, I will have to admit that NY/NJ may not be the worst area of the country for fraud, depending on how you look at it. According to the National Consumers League, the #1 origination of mail order/ internet fraud in the US is California. The #2 location is NY. NJ didn't make the top five.

However, according to the FTC statistics, they NYC, Northern NJ, and Long Island Metro area is #1 in the nation for fraud based on total fraud. However, per capita, it is only #45. #2 is LA Long Beach Santa Ana metro area total fraud. The Washington DC metro area is #1 in the nation for fraud, per capita.

So some of the stats do back up that fraud is highest in NY/NJ but when paired with the per capita data, it appears to be higher simply because more people live there. And in relation to Ohio, all of the cities in Ohio combined have fewer fraud cases than just the NYC metro area. Per capita though the NYC metro area and the state of Ohio are about equal.

Perhaps it just seems worse since the NYC Metro area is 6720 sq.mi. and Ohio is 44,825 sq.mi. So the fraud density is NYC Metro is an order of magnitude higher (3 cases per sq.mi.) compared to Ohio (.3 cases per sq.mi.). Compare NYC Metro to the state of KY (.1 cas per sq.mi.), or even the ~1 case per sq.mi. for the DC metro area. Or basically, in a given area, there are 3X as many frauds in Ohio, 10X more frauds in DC Metro Area, and 30X as many frauds in NYC Metro area, when compared to the state of KY. Perhaps this is why NY/NJ business partnerships would seem risky to me...

First off, of course i'm not saying Flint, Michigan is better than Chicago. Everybody knows Flint is one of the worst places in the US. I was somewhat speaking tongue-in-cheek. The point of my post was about the bad experiences I have had in Chicago. I don't go to Flint. I guess if I had said i'd rather hang out in Baghdad than in Flint you might have picked up on it.

Secondly, holy Cliff Claven, that's a lot of data. I don't think anybody was trying to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt which place is better/worse. At least I'm not. My posts are purely anecdotal, just what i've experienced.

In the end i'm lucky I suppose. Even though I live only 12 miles North of Cincinnati, which is consistently ranked as a dangerous place, I don't have to see it. My lovely little town was just ranked by Businesweek as the 40th best place to raise kids in the entire country. That doesn't mean that I don't pretty much agree with anybody outside of Cincy that says the place is a mess hole. Everything is relative.

Yet we are the lifeblood of the country.

It's statements like this that just add to negative perception of NY/NJ natives in other parts of the country.

Can you explain exactly what the "lifeblood" of the country would be eating if it wasn't for the farmers of the midwest and mideast? People can live without stocks and bonds, but they can't live without food.

I grew up in Michigan and agree D-town isn't the best place but once you get outside the city limits it is a beautiful place. It's just too bad the economy sucks there now.

I've been a Wings fan since I can remember. I would love to live in Detroit. And you're absolutely right that once you get away from downtown there are some beautiful areas. I think in the context of what we're talking about people need to keep in mind that when somebody says Detroit is a slum or Cincinnati is a slum or New York is the worst, etc....it's merely an opinion, probably based mostly upon what people have read, seen or experienced there.

By the way, who designed the layout in D-town. I popped out of the MGM around 4:00 am and it started to snow. I couldn't get back to my hotel for about 20 minutes even though it was only a few blocks away. It seemed like every single street was at some angle to the adjoining street and nothing went in the general direction you wanted to go. Lots of backtracking and going off on some tangent instead of any straight shot. I suppose I just don't know my way around well enough. You better believe that I had my doors locked though and I wasn't stopping very long at any lights or signs. I was hauling !

So basically like I said. The more people the better the chance of shady deals. Doesnt mean that we are all lumped in with them.

And I have heard some horror stories of Michigan. I dont doubt some of the "insanity" that takes place there.