• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

$1,100,000 Action #1 on eBay!

726 posts in this topic

ah, theres the rub with collectibles, isnt it? Buy something now for 1.1 million that will be worth 2 million in 10 years. Sounds great. Sign me up!

but, the conventional investment goal is to earn 7% annually. Thats the benchmark that all investments are compared against; earn more and you are ahead of the game, earn less and you are falling behind. Only problem is that doing so turns 1 miliion into 2 million in only 7 years.

The rule of 72 is what you are thinking about. Divide the interest rate into 72 and thats about how many years it takes to double your money. At 7% its 10 years, at 10% its 7 years.

BTW, how much was a similar Action #1 going for 10 years ago? My guess is you could get a Slight P high grade for well under 500k. Ask Action1kid as I think thats when he bought his. Action 1 has always been a good investment gaining more than 7% a year. That isn't to say it will continue that pace but comic for comic and dollar for dollar this book is tough to beat.

That said the cycle of comic prices says to look else where. We've had a surge in Detective prices followed by a surge in Action prices. I think its fair to say in the last 5 years we've had a surge in Captain America and classic Timely covers, Archies, and a few others. My guess is there will be a follow on surge in pre code Horror, funny animal, and even Fawcetts. Walt Disney #1 and Whiz #1 (2) can only stay at yesteryears prices for so long while Batman and Superman have moved up 50% or so.

Believe it or not, I have had tenative offers of over 700K....so who is laughing. Its disclosed, its all upfront, and in my opinion its the best issue for sale. Owner has his price and thats what I am asking plus my fee. You may not see the value, but many do.

Paul

I am not laughing now Paul. Seeing the reactions to this book in this thread....I am now a believer. 1st of all, real quick.....go to straight to h*ll Buttock....your name suits you perfectly.

When I 1st saw this auction, I did think it was a just a fishing expedition, not a serious attempt at a sale. ...and I really ( no, really ) didn't know this was your auction Paul.....I did not know your eBay name....I would never be disrespectful to another Boardie like that....it is reserved for "the bad guys" on eBay typically. Heck, I was even polite to bluechip in the other Action 1 thread. I didn't put 2 and 2 together that this was your friend, and showed his books in another thread recently......

There have been so many $1,000,000 fake / scam Action #1 offerings over the years, I thought this may have been another one. PGX instead of CGC, tear seals not removed to reach unrestored status, the cover is so bright it almost looks fake....just wasn't adding up for me as legit. So seriously, good luck on your sale, and please accept these ... :foryou: :foryou: :foryou: :foryou: :foryou:

Steve

you know, I kind of have to defend steve here.... if we didn't "know" paulie, then I am sure the board would initially react pretty much the same way steve did... the fact that paul is a trusted part of our community, gives us (boardies) some assurances, but there are many ebayers like steve, that are probably thinking the same thing he initially did.... the real underlying issue, is that it is a shame that it has come to that....given all the scammers, etc, that are out there on ebay land, I don't think anyone would have initially thought too much differently? or am I wrong?

Certainly, the recent episode with the Action 1 being offerred through Silver Age Comics didn't do anything to dispel concerns. The fact that a boardie was a main perpetrator is very troubling for trust in this community.

We've had a surge in Detective prices followed by a surge in Action prices. I think its fair to say in the last 5 years we've had a surge in Captain America and classic Timely covers, Archies, and a few others. My guess is there will be a follow on surge in pre code Horror, funny animal, and even Fawcetts. Walt Disney #1 and Whiz #1 (2) can only stay at yesteryears prices for so long while Batman and Superman have moved up 50% or so.

well said.

It is interesting to look at the highest prices paid for other collectibles. Using only one site, Heritage, I found the following highest prices. And I don't know if collectors in each area would consider those items the "grails" on the level of the Action 1 for sale on ebay. In 2008, Action 1 is considered THE grail for comics, and the one pictures is pretty sweet. I don't see why this won't sell, maybe not in the ebay auction, but soon after.

George Harrison's guitar from Let It Be rooftop > $400,000

Bride of Frankenstein movie poster > $300,000

1933 Babe Ruth All Star Jersey $657,000

1804 silver dollar $3.7 million

painting $1.6 million

General Grant sword $1.6 million.

The grail of the vintage guitar world is the 1968 Olympic White Fender Stratocaster guitar that Jimi Hendrix used at Woodstock to play the National Anthem. In 1993 it was purchased by Paul Allen of Microsoft fame for an estimated 1.3 million. It is now valued at 5 million. :gossip:

It is interesting to look at the highest prices paid for other collectibles. Using only one site, Heritage, I found the following highest prices. And I don't know if collectors in each area would consider those items the "grails" on the level of the Action 1 for sale on ebay. In 2008, Action 1 is considered THE grail for comics, and the one pictures is pretty sweet. I don't see why this won't sell, maybe not in the ebay auction, but soon after.

painting $1.6 million

The grail of the vintage guitar world is the 1968 Olympic White Fender Stratocaster guitar that Jimi Hendrix used at Woodstock to play the National Anthem. In 1993 it was purchased by Paul Allen of Microsoft fame for an estimated 1.3 million. It is now valued at 5 million. :gossip:

That's another thing I'll never sell, my ticket stubbs from Jimi's last north American concert tour at the Berkeley Community Center. May not be worth much, but it was such a great show and such a great memory. The man's artistry was incredible.We had great seats and he was at the top of his game.

painting $1.6 million

Apples to Oranges though - Grant only had the ONE sword! DC printed a bunch of Action #1's! I for one think the 1.1 mil price tag is completely far fetched for a purple-top book, even though this one is pretty nice. If I had a million dollars I'd rather have a blue-labeled VF+ (without rusty staples). Hell, I'd rather have Action1kid's 5.5/6.5 plus the Mile High Flash #1 and still have enough left over to pay my house off.

Unless I find an Action 1 by fluke in a hidden compartment or at a flea market, I'll never own one, so how high the price rises is meaningless to me. Action1 stands alone. So I wish Paul and his buddy the best. If someone gave me the choice of a blue label 6.5 over a purple 9.0, I'd probably take the blue unless the 9,0 was very,very slight and had white pages. Of course all this is academic in my case, that's too much book for me to have sitting in my safe deposit box. I'd love to have Jimi's guitar though, at least you could play with it.

Sure, but what if PGX missed a tint of color touch or a small piece added, they have done that plenty of times. The book is very appealing since it appears to have very slight resto, but what if they missed a tint of color touch or something else.. doubt the buyer will be happy to find that out if that ended up being the case. I do understand that the fee is much less, but I am almost certain, even with the numerous emails he has been getting, there are a couple who are staying away due to the book being in a PGX label. I'm not trying to start anything here, just curious as to why submit the grail of all grails of comic collecting to PGX.

danny....you have a valid point....and while I agree with Paul 100% about full known disclosure, having the opinion of a "more" trusted industry expert such as cgc could only help the potential sale of this book....and, if you are asking 1.1 million...I don't think the $1000 that cgc would charge is really a consideration in the scheme of things (and you can get an insurance rider on the shipment for about $1000)?....

but, if paul is getting serious offers the way the book is, then who am I to say otherwise (shrug)

I would think it has a lot to do with sending it through the mail.All the insurance in the world wouldnt replace this book if it was "lost".

I would think it has a lot to do with sending it through the mail.All the insurance in the world wouldnt replace this book if it was "lost".

So your suggesting he had it slabbed at the 'nearest' service providor. Rather than any other deciding factor.

Fair enough assumption, considering the amount of paranoia most collectors attach to sending out a $1,000.00 book, let a lone a $1,000,000.00 book!

So your suggesting he had it slabbed at the 'nearest' service providor. Rather than any other deciding factor.

Fair enough assumption, considering the amount of paranoia most collectors attach to sending out a $1,000.00 book, let a lone a $1,000,000.00 book!

Fly out and enjoy some vacation time. It's going to be a walk through anyways so you'll get it back the same day.

Dan Patterson is a customer of his.Im not sure if the book even left his hands.

Fly out and enjoy some vacation time. It's going to be a walk through anyways so you'll get it back the same day.

Though we forget, geographically America is a pretty big place, a return flight might not of been a same day 'walk through' for the guy. And knowing how restrictive american annual leave is, he might not of been happy to give some up, when he could the same job done without blowing some annual leave days (shrug)

Like that Hedge fund manager that just reported 3.5 billion on his taxes for one year........

What I could do with 3.5 billion... :cloud9:

Dive through it like a porpoise, burrow through it like a gopher, and toss it up and let it hit you on the head?

So do you put the book in your carry on or in your checked luggage. What if the screeners want to mess with it? Anyone ever have that problem? How many Action 1's have you flown across the country with, Greggy?

Though we forget, geographically America is a pretty big place, a return flight might not of been a same day 'walk through' for the guy. And knowing how restrictive american annual leave is, he might not of been happy to give some up, when he could the same job done without blowing some annual leave days (shrug)

lol

What if the screeners want to mess with it? Anyone ever have that problem? How many Action 1's have you flown across the country with, Greggy?

X-ray machines would be fine, after all it's just plastic and paper. You real trouble is moving through tax jurisdictions, if they pull you up. But then just don't take it as carry, and bullet proof the package in a secure bag.

What if the screeners want to mess with it? Anyone ever have that problem? How many Action 1's have you flown across the country with, Greggy?

X-ray machines would be fine, after all it's just plastic and paper. You real trouble is moving through tax jurisdictions, if they pull you up. But then just don't take it as carry, and bullet proof the package in a secure bag.

I recall a story from last year about a guy who carried a $1,000,000+ dime (not Scrooge's first!) from California to New York. He dressed down and carried the dime in his carry-on luggage. The briefcase never left his physical contact. He arrived at the bank where the transfer with the buyer was supposed to take place about 30 minutes early and the bank wasn't open. The buyer was also early so the went across the street and had coffee until the bank opened. The dime was not actually transferred until after they got into the bank.

Man , with the huge increase in mail delivery due to E-Bay and all the Internet sales sites , I would imagine there is a lot of fairly valuable stuff being carried around out there . And , with insurance coverage not being adequate or even available for the value of your shipment , I'm surprised the UPS , Fed Ex, and even normal postmen aren't armed and in armored trucks.................BH..

I recall a story from last year about a guy who carried a $1,000,000+ dime (not Scrooge's first!) from California to New York. He dressed down and carried the dime in his carry-on luggage. The briefcase never left his physical contact. He arrived at the bank where the transfer with the buyer was supposed to take place about 30 minutes early and the bank wasn't open. The buyer was also early so the went across the street and had coffee until the bank opened. The dime was not actually transferred until after they got into the bank.

if that story took place 40 years ago, the punch line would have been that, tired of waiting, he went to a pay phone to call the guy......and used the dime!