• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If you could have just one Pre code horror...

Horror grail  

135 members have voted

1. 1. Horror grail

56 posts in this topic

This was tough as I have some of the books on the list. I had to imagine not owning any and start from there. In the end I would have to pick WM #5. It is such a classic cover and IMHO represents the genre perfectly!

Do you think that certain classic covers have lost some of their appeal? Books like

Worlds Of Fear #10

Thing #7

This Mag is Haunted #10

these are 3 of my all time favorite classic covers, yet they never seem to get much mention anymore. (shrug)

57106-WorldsofFear_10.jpg.cc3d6f1005c50ae04214090279160f5b.jpg

57107-TheThing_7.jpg.01a695a4f395225da07da20ece2c3db7.jpg

589a95ba6dc5a_57108-thismag10.jpg.026704b81f650b158cac4b75cbb4dd09.jpg

Weird Mysteries #5

all-time classic Baily cover

"Swamp Monster" story by Wolverton

and a text piece on the pre-code witchhunt by the publisher

What else could you want in a pre-code book?

I remember someone telling me that they were looking for Atlas pre code horror books... but I don't remember who that was... somebody send me a PM because I saw a huge collection of them at very reasonable prices tightly graded. Will send you the information.

Do you think that certain classic covers have lost some of their appeal? Books like

Worlds Of Fear #10

Thing #7

This Mag is Haunted #10

these are 3 of my all time favorite classic covers, yet they never seem to get much mention anymore. (shrug)

Here's my take:

WoF #10 cool Saunders cover - but more surreal than horrific - and painted covers look more like pulp/paperback art than comic book art - so while always collectible maybe it doesn't get the pre-code horror juices flowing with a lot of collectors (this would include me - as I wouldn't mind having a copy- but it's never been high on my want list)

Thing #7 - Awesome cover from a great title - I've always felt this never got the love it deserves.

This Mag is Haunted #10 - I'm a big fan of decap covers- and have most of them - but always found this one a bit goofy - and while I've bid on copies a couple of times - I've never really chased it - I actually prefer the cover to #13 as far as this title is concerned.

After some thought - a three way tie between WM#5, BC #50 and Venus #19 ( pathetically unoriginal I know), with a special mention to LSS #11 - while the cover composition isn't that dynamic - the content (both cover and story) is hilariously demented.

This Mag is Haunted #10 - I'm a big fan of decap covers- and have most of them - but always found this one a bit goofy - and while I've bid on copies a couple of times - I've never really chased it - I actually prefer the cover to #13 as far as this title is concerned.

Spot on there, wouldn't mind owning a copy but the goofy aspect lessens the horror quality to me. Sort of in the same catagory as Beware Terror Tales #6.

Worlds Of Fear #10

Thing #7

This Mag is Haunted #10

these are 3 of my all time favorite classic covers, yet they never seem to get much mention anymore.

No I don't think they've lost appeal. Basically the market can never track all the cool PCH books - there will always a shift from time to time as new collectors enter and as people get tired of seeing the same old ones and realize that there are other good ones out there. I have not bothered to vote because I don't think there is just "one" in the same way that there is "one" GA superhero book.

Now if we wanted to run a Top 10 PCH cover poll...

Worlds Of Fear #10

Thing #7

This Mag is Haunted #10

these are 3 of my all time favorite classic covers, yet they never seem to get much mention anymore.

No I don't think they've lost appeal. Basically the market can never track all the cool PCH books - there will always a shift from time to time as new collectors enter and as people get tired of seeing the same old ones and realize that there are other good ones out there. I have not bothered to vote because I don't think there is just "one" in the same way that there is "one" GA superhero book.

Now if we wanted to run a Top 10 PCH cover poll...

good & valid points for sure. I went into this thinking there is no clear winner, no Action #1, but I wanted to see if there was a consensus I didn't know about. I'll rework a poll with photos when I get a chance to do a top 10 with the option to pick 3.

Well, ECs are my absolute favorite but if I can only pick one it would have to be Eerie #1... first horror comic, great gothic cover, and very hard to find in decent shape. Tomb of Terror #15 should also be on the list.