• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My NYCC report updated with dinner report

30 posts in this topic

First off let me apologize for the lack of pics. I had fully intended on bringing my camera, and had it charging Friday night, but totally forgot to pack it. I only remembered as I was crossing the GW bridge. :pullhair: My narrative at that point was not kid friendly. Anyway, the drive in Saturday morning was very smooth considering the Pope’s visit and the construction on the bridge coming in. Arrived a little before 9 and waited with masses in the 2nd floor waiting area. There was a cornucopia of Star Wars characters keeping the throng engaged including a very short Storm Trooper and a very tall Jawa.

10 O’clock arrived none too soon and I slowly made to the Convention Area, by passing a couple of the “NY Jedi” who wanted to give me a pass to their show, and walked into the main hall just letting my eyes take in in the whole incredible scene. It was amazing. The third floor hall is enormous and chock full eye candy. A definite visual delight. I walked further down the hall and found my first stop; the CGC booth.

Even this early, there was a buzz of activity. I dropped of a book (UXM 295) that I hope will grade out to a 9.6. I saw and spoke to Steve B, if any forumite has not had the chance to chat with him, make the chance. You will not find a friendlier or more knowledgeable gentleman. I also happened to see Josh Nathanson from CLink whose booth sat next to CGC’s . I introduced myself and he immediately knew who I was from the Scott Ireland auction. He thanked me for bringing Scott to him and we chatted about it’s success and the upcoming auctions.

I ventured forth checking out the rest the “dealer’s den”. It was so crowded and dense it was easy to get lost. But before long I was running into familiar faces. Paul (SilverandBronze) saw me as I passed his booth and called me a side. He said he was doing very well and the show seemed to be a success. I immediately scarped up one of the special edition Iron Man toon tumblers. Very nice, might I say. We chatted some more. I moved on, seeing and saying hi to Dale Roberts and Jeff from Hotflips. I introduced myself Rich Evans (MrBedrock) and chatted a little bit before he handed me a copy of “Major Inpak” just for showing up. Another very friendly fellow. I made my way to Stephen Ritter’s booth where I met up with Danny (Mutantkeys) and Ghost Town. Danny showed me his OA portfolio which was very nice. And three of us chatted about what were collecting, the hobby, the boards. We walked around the booths looking for the rare raw gems. Ghost was picking up every copy of UXM 294 and 295 he could find in hopes of finding that elusive 9.8. We ran into Darwin(Dmac) who quickly snapped a pic of Danny and I before chatting with us about his day.

We went about our separate ways and shortly later I ran into Brian(Foolkiller) and Nik at Ted Vanliew’s booth. They were looking thru various SA boxes when I approached . Nik is every bit as kind, jovial and knowledgeable as he seems on the boards. I liked him immediately. Even if he is a Red Sox fan. :baiting::kidaround: Brian is also a great guy whom I had the pleasure of meeting and chatting with at previous NY cons. He also did an amazing job setting up the Forum dinner. More on that later.

We waked over to the CGC booth and met up with Gene (Delekeste), Hari Nadu, and Brian’s friend Mary Ann. We went downstairs for lunch where it was a mad house and ended up at the Italian food station which was ironic given we were having Italian for dinner as well. We chatted about what we bought and the boards and all things comics.

After lunch, we split up again. I walked all over the floor. From the Marvel and DC booths, to the various gaming stations, to the “Attack of the Show” setup where they were interviewing Hellboy director Guillermo del Toro. Later, the entire cast was there. I made my way down artist alley, taking in the scene. One of these days, I plan on brining a sketch book and getting some sketches. When I returned to the dealer’s den, I ran into Steve B again this time at Blazing Bob’s booth and he was chatting with none other than Captain Red Pants Andy Coleman(Golddust40). Andy was another great guy. We seem to have a lot them on the boards. :) We chatted some more, talked about collecting and specifically I asked the two of them why they thought Pence copies were not at least of equal value of the US dollar counterparts. I got some interesting answers.

As I moved on, I met up with Ghost Town again and we chatted some more. When he asked me what I bought, I realized that, except for the IM tumbler, I hadn’t made any purchases. I really wasn’t planning on any big purchases, my x-men run is just about complete, and I’m not sure in which direction I want to go. But he reminded me that I couldn’t leave empty handed and we ended up again at Stephan Ritter’s booth where I found my lone comic book purchase: a sweet CGC 9.6 Defenders 16 from the Don Rosa pedigree.

I walked the lanes once again, chatting with Ghost Town before he left. I ran into Nik a couple more times during the remainder of the afternoon and it wasn’t long before the show was coming to an end and we met at the CGC booth to depart for dinner. I will have a little more about the dinner later but for now I leave you with a scan of my purchase.

57059-def16.jpg.0c3c3192ad73a6f644565c7c72cc916d.jpg

Part 2:

At 7:00pm, Nik, Danny, Brian, Steve(EvilAsh), Tom Gordon, Rich Henn and I met up at CGC’s booth on are way to leave for dinner. There were introductions all around. And of course more chatting while Brian made sure that those who were not here knew where to go. On our way out, we stopped by Paul’s booth where he and Mr. Woogieman where closing up shop. We finalized the details with them and slowly made our way out. We all decided to walk to the restaurant which was about ten blocks from the convention center. As we made our way, the conversation continued about comics and various selling venues. While we talked, Nik told me he had never been to Manhattan before so I made sure we strolled thru Times Square on our way to the restaurant. You should have seen his face. Unless you’ve been there, you can’t describe the mob of people walking its sidewalks.

As we got to Carmines, we were led upstairs to our tables and soon met the other party goers. At my table, I sat with Nik, Pat(the Resurrection) and his fiancée, Jim(cgcworld) and his wife, John(Spiderman-on-tilt) and Gary Platt, Comix4fun, Hari, Gene, Brian and Tom Gordon. It was great meeting so many new board members. Pat was very interesting and nice to talk with. Jim and John were also very nice. I had a great time talking with Jim about his White Mountain collection. The food was amazing. It started with a Caesar Salad, fried Calamari, mussels and other assorted Hors D’oeuvres. That was followed with linguini which was followed by eggplant parmesan and other incredible dishes. So much food. All of this with plenty of red and white wine and beer flowing.

As the evening progressed, I made my way to the other table. There sat Harry(Burntboy), Paul, Mr Woogieman and his son, Bill(Shadroch), Dave Mattenini, Steve(Evil Ash), Danny, Rick(Detective27kid), Mike(McMiles) and his wife, Andy (Golddust) and Paris_Fred. We chatted on and on, talking about the show, comparing it to San Diego and the other Cons. San Diego is still #1 but this show has made some major strides. Eventually the evening had to end and I had to go. The party was still going on but Nik, Paul and I, our cars parked back at the convention center, decided to head back. To close it all out, in a “only in NY fashion” Nik and I and Paul (literally) ran into none other than Comedy directing legend Mel Brooks. I recognized him immediately and said hi while a woman ahead of us said “We love you, Mel!” Mel looked at us a little startled but in pure Mel fashion, stood straight up waved and said hello before turning around and going on his way. Mel Brooks just walking down the street like everyone else. Only in New York.

KC

I have to say that every report you've done has been top of the line & your words where more than enough even with out pic's.. :applause:

Great job and hope you had fun..

Thanks

Thank you.

To close it all out, in a “only in NY fashion” Nik and I and Paul (literally) ran into none other than Comedy directing legend Mel Brooks. I recognized him immediately and said hi while a woman ahead of us said “We love you, Mel!” Mel looked at us a little startled but in pure Mel fashion, stood straight up waved and said hello before turning around and going on his way. Mel Brooks just walking down the street like everyone else. Only in New York.

:applause: I absolutely love Mel Brooks' films. What a talent!

Great report, too!

To close it all out, in a “only in NY fashion” Nik and I and Paul (literally) ran into none other than Comedy directing legend Mel Brooks. I recognized him immediately and said hi while a woman ahead of us said “We love you, Mel!” Mel looked at us a little startled but in pure Mel fashion, stood straight up waved and said hello before turning around and going on his way. Mel Brooks just walking down the street like everyone else. Only in New York.

:applause: I absolutely love Mel Brooks' films. What a talent!

Great report, too!

I am envious, that was a great report and the Mel Brooks encounter.

I will forever be a fan of Mel Brooks for two reasons: Blazing Saddles and History of the World Part I :cloud9:

Great meeting you even if you are a New Yorker :baiting:

Great meeting new forumites as well at the dinner. Had a great one day trip and very glad I made the ride.

That's pretty cool and a little funny to me because when I got back to the Hotel after the dinner, I flipped on the TV and heard "Badges, we don't need no stinking badges." then I finished watching the rest of the movie. I was thinking to myself how much I actually liked Mel Brooks movies and probably, literally, at the same time you guys were a couple of blocks away meeting him on the street.

I would have loved to have stayed longer then the 20 min. or so that I was able to hang at the dinner.

I had to go to Long Island and only stayed for a glass of wine and great conversation with Dave Mattini and had to bolt.

I walked two blocks up, bought the most expensive and worst piece of pizza for $6 (that's one slice, kids...should have known better that this wasn't official Itallian)

And then 2 blocks further ran into Frank Miller! We chatted about 3 min. then went our seperate ways.

And I got lost trying to get to Long Island.

Was glad I did get to hang out at the dinner if only for a few minutes. Come San Diego I plan on making a night of it. You guys rock!

That's pretty cool and a little funny to me because when I got back to the Hotel after the dinner, I flipped on the TV and heard "Badges, we don't need no stinking badges." then I finished watching the rest of the movie. I was thinking to myself how much I actually liked Mel Brooks movies and probably, literally, at the same time you guys were a couple of blocks away meeting him on the street.

Is Mel Brooks in Treasure of the Sierra Madre???

:grin:

Totally cool meeting you. I had a great time at the dinner, discussing different collecting aspects. Talking with you, Nik, and Jim (CGCWorld) was the highlight of the dinner for me. I really liked the discussion of HG books, Niks outlook on books, and being told "well at least you arent a shill" haha. With the people sitting at the table with me, everyone had a different view on buying, selling, and hoarding comics. Made for great conversation . I had a great time, and glad I could meet you.

Pat-