• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heroes Con ...Whos going...where ya staying

108 posts in this topic

So, what's the news - are there any get-togethers planned for CGC board members? I'll be there Sat-Sun. I'll be free after the auction at The Alley Cat.

Looking forward to my first HeroesCon - I've been wanting to attend since 2001.

something easy would be that pizza joint right across the street from the convention center. the one that looks like a gas station by the park.

If someone wants to get phone numbers together or plan a meet up that would be cool.

something easy would be that pizza joint right across the street from the convention center. the one that looks like a gas station by the park.

If someone wants to get phone numbers together or plan a meet up that would be cool.

that would be Fuel --- and i dont have a number handy

fuelpizza.com

It's the "1801 South Blvd" address I think.

hm

fuelpizza.com

It's the "1801 South Blvd" address I think.

hm

this is the location----

Shops On The Green

500 South College Street

(Across from convention center)

Charlotte, NC 28202

704-370-2755

Fax: 704-370-2795

So how about someone have the con announce a CGC board dinner at Fuel around 730-8pm?

Is that a good idea? Jumping the gun? Should we arrange a 4pm(or whenever) meeting at the (Marvel/Metropolis/ACTOR/whatever) table to discuss it?

You're the man Nerf!

ca.gif Chris

It's good to see you made it back safe.

It's nice to see troops have a candle in their window for combat.

But it's even better when they came back unscathed.

I buried a long time hero of mine recently (my uncle that was a Marine in 'Nam)

we had a ceremony at Cherry Point where he wanted to be laid to rest amongst the other

heroes.

Semper Fi!

(thumbs u

any first day reviews. Would love to hear how the first day went.

I am going to have dinner at "The Alley Cat!

Located at 314 N. College St., just five blocks up from the Convention Center" Saturday evening for the auction. If anyone would like to join in for the fun of it - come along.

Hope to see you all there!

:applause: Alley Cat sounds good! Art auction to boot! I will post a quick report and some pics a little later-going to grab some chow with my better half at Ri Ra's. Great day for one on one meets and I even had a great conversation with MG- (Virue be damned! :foryou:) Never did find Pirate hm

I said it before and I will say it again- You're the man Nerf-Semper Fi Back Brother!

ca.gif Chris

I've got wi-fi at the hotel fortunately! Today was a good first day. There were a few dealers I hadn't seen before. Lots of books to choose from. Mostly SA and BA Marvel. Not much high grade BA DC from what I see. Not a lot of GA stuff, but some. Going to the art auction now, I'll post when I get back.

The crowd was good today - probably a little better than usual for a Friday. A general consensus seems to be that sales were down though. Mine were about what I would expect for the first day. Lots of comic dealers, probably more than he has had in a few years. Motor City, Graham Crackers and a few others I haven't seen here in a while.

Let's hope for a good Saturday.

I won't be making it. I bought a ticket on Greyhound and got screwed out of my trip. They overbooked the bus and left most of us standing their like fools at 3:45am. Non-refundable, of course. Damn them and their fine print.

I hope everyone else has a great time.

Maybe see you all next year.

I won't be making it. I bought a ticket on Greyhound and got screwed out of my trip. They overbooked the bus and left most of us standing their like fools at 3:45am. Non-refundable, of course. Damn them and their fine print.

I hope everyone else has a great time.

Maybe see you all next year.

GO Greyhound???

doh!

This report is largely focusing on GA/SA stuff. Just FYI.

I swear Chuckles Rozanski was following me as we ran into him in a truckstop on the way in, then he was behind us in line at the Westin, was one of the first ones in the show I saw, and ate dinner at the same restaurant that night. When we were at the truckstop I looked for the VW bus that I anticipated he'd be driving, but all I saw was a 68 4-4-2 painted lime green and riding on 22s. Maybe that was his.

I went for Thursday night, Friday, and Sat AM. It was a decent show. Motor City had their usual stock - such a nuisance to peruse the stacks on the wall, but some decent stuff. It was nice to see them and Graham Crackers there, but Jamie G must have had a few small animals wizz in his Cheerios. I've dealt with him at shows before and found him to be engaging, and maybe a bit aloof. This time he was just unpleasant. He had a book I wanted and I didn't buy it on principle alone.

Dale Roberts had about a dozen mag boxes of his new collection - all late SA to BA in 9.4-9.8. Didn't look like much moved out of the boxes, but Saturday & Sunday will tell the tale. He also had a nice collection of Atom Age stuff that I think he split with Chris Foss. Looked like Chris got the short end of the stick. I would have confirmed with Chris, but I won't go to his table when he's there because he talks so damn much. He's a "time burglar". Dale had some really really nice stuff, all priced aggressively.

Steve Wyatt had some really nice Atlas books and mentioned that Rosa is maybe preparing to sell some more of his stuff. Should be interesting if it happens.

Brett Carreras was having a good show selling primarily dollar books, and that seemed to be sort of par for the course all around. He seems to have a nice business model for long-term success, consistent sales, and still managing to get cool older books from time to time.

A guy whose name eludes me had recently grabbed some nice early GA (Tec 30-39, AS 3, Silver Streaks, etc) and they had been gobbled up by the time we got there (Tec 35 went for under $1K).

Richard Muchin set up with Bechara and just threw a bunch of books out on a random table in stacks. You had to concentrate to even notice there were comics for sale. And you got the usual customer service (i.e. being ignored). I really don't know how he stays in business.

Marc Nathan was there for the first time I can recall, so that was nice.

There was a guy who had bought a collection of DC giants in mid-HG - all 3-5 copies deep! And they were dirt cheap.

I'll defer to capt_comics on how the show was for him.

The impression I walked away with overall was that the little guy is getting squeezed out, and the big guys are having to fight more & more to get quality stuff. Most of the "big" guys had lower and lower graded GA than I'm used to seeing, and the HG stuff is priced at nosebleed prices. There is some nice SA, about 20-30% slabbed, but again - if you compare to GPA the prices seem unrealistic. Re: the "little" guys, I saw at least 5 booths selling primarily comics with absolutely nothing of interest on the wall. I'm talking Marvel Tales (1960-70s) 106 in FN or so as the best book on the wall. But a lot of the "little" guys really didn't seem to have much substantial material. I'm sure this is attributable to Ebay and CGC opening access and commoditizing things respectively, but it was just markedly more so this year.

As for me, I was able to get a small stack (maybe 10 books or so) of really cool stuff, but all but 2 were from Harley.