• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What period of time does your longest comic book run cover?

47 posts in this topic

I was talking with my wife about the Superboy run I'm hoping to finish this year from 100 to 313. I am now 36 books away from finishing my raw run.

When you think about it terms of number of books, it's only 214 consecutive books. To me that doesn't really seem like a lot of comics. However, when I told my wife that it covered almost 22 years of time (October 1962 - July 1984), my perspective changed. I will own nearly 22 years of collected work by various creative teams all packed neatly into a box. Perhaps it's just me, but that seemed like a lot. It made me think about all the effort, art & writing, that went into publishing that single title over that number of years.

At any rate, what period of time does your longest comic book run cover?

I was talking with my wife about the Superboy run I'm hoping to finish this year from 100 to 313. I am now 36 books away from finishing my raw run.

When you think about it terms of number of books, it's only 214 consecutive books. To me that doesn't really seem like a lot of comics. However, when I told my wife that it covered almost 22 years of time (October 1962 - July 1984), my perspective changed. I will own nearly 22 years of collected work by various creative teams all packed neatly into a box. Perhaps it's just me, but that seemed like a lot. It made me think about all the effort, art & writing, that went into publishing that single title over that number of years.

At any rate, what period of time does your longest comic book run cover?

I am actually going for Superboy 1-258 which is 1949 through 1979. The 259-313 are actually titled "Legion of Super-Heroes?" I do have those.

Most big Marvel tiltes obviously started in the 60's and continue till today, there will be quite a few many of SM and FF full sets in varying condition around although with breaks and title changes along the way (no respect for continuity those comic companies!)

Look what the heck DC did to Superman's numbering! DC even tinkered with Action Comics numbering with that whole weekly thing.

Batman and Detective are still pure, anyone who has complete sets of either (worship)(worship)

I think the older the run, the more impressive. Seies starting in the 80's-ending now arent the same as say one starting in the 50's ending in the 70's.

I will own nearly 22 years of collected work by various creative teams all packed neatly into a box. Perhaps it's just me, but that seemed like a lot. It made me think about all the effort, art & writing, that went into publishing that single title over that number of years.

No, that's it exactly. There's an awful lot of effort. That's why Cerebus is impressive, Sim just planted himself in the chair and put in the work.

Plus it's fun to see the changes in society, even over a 20-year run. Fashions, the ads, the attitudes. The Batman titles really show this.