• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

why do male hobbies obsess about condition (as opposed to female hobbies)

30 posts in this topic

Ever notice male dominated hobbies are obsessive about condition?

All the slabbed hobbies are largely male hobbies..... comics, sports cards, coins, toys, video games, etc. And the prices paid for mint copies can be 1000 times the price for an average copy.

Compare this to womens collectable fields. They slab nothing to my knowledge.

Ever watch Antiques Roadshow? How often have you seen a woman with an antique piece of glassware get an appraisal for $2000 and the item has major damage (like a crack). And the appraiser says it would have been worth $5000 if not for the crack.

They must be on CRACK!!!! :insane:

How can a badly damaged item be worth 40% of the value of a "mint" specimen. Is it just that women do not care about item condition nearly as much as men?

Let me add here that women in general DO think about condition. Ask them about their wardrobes, furniture, musical instruments( if they play anything such as a harp, etc). Their hair, makeup - I think that women can be MORE persnickety than men in general.

Look how picky most women are about the men they choose for relationships. They are far, far more choosier than the average man. Remember, men just need a place, a woman needs a reason.

CAL been there done that a few times... :news:

Let me add here that women in general DO think about condition. Ask them about their wardrobes, furniture, musical instruments( if they play anything such as a harp, etc). Their hair, makeup - I think that women can be MORE persnickety than men in general.

Look how picky most women are about the men they choose for relationships. They are far, far more choosier than the average man. Remember, men just need a place, a woman needs a reason.

CAL been there done that a few times... :news:

(PERSNICKETY) I like that word Cal. Thanks for sharing (thumbs u

It's not about condition, but how advanced the lifecycle of the hobby is.

It's a trick really, and as more collectors achieve their goals, so too do are these goals forced to change by the hobby's powers-that-be. You used to think that F/VF was okay? Check out the price gaps in the latest OS... Uh oh, now I have to own the Church books... Jeez, I really need to upgrade my run to at least CGC 9.6...

Stuff like Pedigrees, Overstreet, CGC, etc. are all calculated moves to advance the hobby to the next cycle and create additional demand. It's not accident and follows a pretty standard timeline.

Stuff like Pedigrees, Overstreet, CGC, etc. are all calculated moves to advance the hobby to the next cycle and create additional demand. It's not accident and follows a pretty standard timeline.

I don't see this TIMELINE in the stuff women collect. Like dishes, glass, silver, fine jewellry, costume jewellry, bakelite, baskets, etc.

Having the best known copies is less important to women than it is to men. 2c

I don't see this TIMELINE in the stuff women collect. Like dishes, glass, silver, fine jewellry, costume jewellry, bakelite, baskets, etc.

It's not a timeline, but a LIFECYCLE.

But that doesn't really matter either, and the fact is, that a sense of nostalgia, history or lineage is required for most collectibles, and men simply "look back" more than women. It's a genetic fact - males and females, on average, see a pile of old *stuff* differently - guys look for a box to put it in, while women are taking out the garbage can.

Also, most stuff that females amass serves an real-world purpose, like pottery, furniture, dishes, glasses, knick knacks, jewelry, etc. It doesn't just sit around in boxes getting dusty, but is sat on, houses books, is displayed, used with special meals, and other functional tasks.

The things we men collect usually have limited, if any, functional uses.

Having the best known copies is less important to women than it is to men. 2c

But you made my point, as there is no infrastructure to even determine what a "best known copy" is.

Men tend to create that kind of layered justification system, with magazines, price guides, census numbers, online forums, etc. - almost like it insulates us from the fact that we're paying horrendous amounts of money on something totally useless.

Weren't female collectors the driving force behind that whole "Beanie Babies" nightmare? Talk about useless!!!

Yeah, and they were friggin obsessed with condition. I flipped beanies to pay for college and they were really terrifying to deal with. Angry soccer mom collectors should be avoided at all costs.

We men usually have limited, if any, functional uses.

Fixed that for you. Think of it as a counterweight to the "beetches" sales thread.

Weren't female collectors the driving force behind that whole "Beanie Babies" nightmare? Talk about useless!!!

But that wasn't a collectible, it was a money-hungry, highly-speculative, profit-mongering operation that had just as many men as women.

When someone waves the almighty dollar in front of stupid people, it doesn't matter whether they're male or female.

I flipped beanies to pay for college

See what I mean, we overestimate the "women's part" in this whole craze. I knew lots of guys who were playing this game, camping outside stores, calling for new stock, etc. and then flipping it to other guys who hoped to make an even greater profit later on.

OK..... This is totally wrong. It has nothing to do with men men and obsession. It has to do with $$$$$$.. My parents collect antiques so I will chime in.

Antiques unrestored bring FAR more money then restored. As do Comics bring more money unrestored then restored. And we are also talking Average people buy Average things. Can you really afford to have perfect early lennox ? Can you afford to have some MINT furniture from the 16-1700's, or can you afford the nice piece you picked up at a garage sale for $25.00.

Now lets look at a few hobbies you noted. Comic Books (paper goods), basball cards (paper goods). How can you compare furniture, or glassware to paper ? Restoration on the furniture is much more acceptable, but butchers value. Restoration on Comics is GENERALLY undesireable, and can destroy value. So we are talking about something sturdy surviving and something far more fragile surviving.

Now. Lets switch this. The guy buying the $5-10,000 dollar comic, generally seen in sneakers, drives a mediocre car. Where as a woman on a 35K salary will have a Fendi,Gucci,and LV bag. Wearing Diamonds, and driving an expensive car. Women generally want name brands, high trend items, and shiny "status symbol" items. Where as men want to find things with possible sentimental value, possible profit when sold, and something that they can enjoy regardless of who sees it. And thats not including the historic preservation. How many women would have just said "toss that garbage out".

Why is it garbage, not worth "that much money"? Cuz' they dont want it.

My fiance looks at me like im nuts talking about spending 2-300 on a comic. Then points out the $700.00 purse she loves, that will sit next to the other 3-500.00 purses in the bottom of my closet. After that "crucial" 6 months of showing it off.

My fiance looks at me like im nuts talking about spending 2-300 on a comic. Then points out the $700.00 purse she loves, that will sit next to the other 3-500.00 purses in the bottom of my closet. After that "crucial" 6 months of showing it off.

Dude, she is your fiance. Get the freak out while you can!!!!!

No way. She was at the NYCC with me all weekend, goes to shows that I sell at 2 days a month. She doesnt bother me about my hobby, just doesnt understand. Anyone who has met her knows she is great.

Aug.9,08 D-day

Ever notice male dominated hobbies are obsessive about condition?

All the slabbed hobbies are largely male hobbies..... comics, sports cards, coins, toys, video games, etc. And the prices paid for mint copies can be 1000 times the price for an average copy.

Compare this to womens collectable fields. They slab nothing to my knowledge.

Ever watch Antiques Roadshow? How often have you seen a woman with an antique piece of glassware get an appraisal for $2000 and the item has major damage (like a crack). And the appraiser says it would have been worth $5000 if not for the crack.

They must be on CRACK!!!! :insane:

How can a badly damaged item be worth 40% of the value of a "mint" specimen. Is it just that women do not care about item condition nearly as much as men?

Try buying a MIB Sears exclusive Rise N' Shine Francie (Barbie Doll) Gift Set for anything close to what the guides say. When they are on Ebay, they usually sell for 3 - 4 times what any of the guides have it priced at (about $1000, guides usually have it at $250 - $400).

My wife collects some of the dolls from her childhood and that field of collecting is extremely particular about condition. MIB (Mint in box) dolls always sell for a premium similar to high-grade comics.

No way. She was at the NYCC with me all weekend, goes to shows that I sell at 2 days a month. She doesnt bother me about my hobby, just doesnt understand. Anyone who has met her knows she is great.

Aug.9,08 D-day

Too bad it's not Aug 8th 08 then you'd be set for never forgetting the date. hm 080808