• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stan Lee CGC SS Sketchs and more UPDATED!!!

107 posts in this topic

I have been to many different Stan signings at many different events and Stan Lee has never charged a fan for an autograph. From time to time I have seen a fee but that was more of a required donation that would go to something like the Hero Initiative.

its usually around 80 buck for it to be signed and graded but that doesnt mean on a key book it wont make it jump a couple hundred, for example that stan meet silver surfer #1 9.8 stan lee is worth more than 80 probably double that!

How much does Stan lee charge for signatures?

How much do artists charge for sketches?

I am very against someone charging for a signature. Afterall they are getting paid an appearance fee anyway.

It's not very noble. Especially since Stan is getting 1 mil a year just as a consultant to Marvel.

Now Sketches I understand.

We are talking about the same Stan Lee right?

Considering what Stan has done for the comic industry ,how could you not expect him to charge?Not saying that he does-majority of the time his signings are designed to help the Hero Initiative as stated by previous poster.But still it's STAN LEE were talking about.

I was just asking.

and I feel I am entitled to my opinion.

I am a devoted Marvel collector and I feel a autograph is personal and when it's paid for it loses it's personal special appeal, however if it is for a charity than thank you for the information and I humbly withdraw what I said regarding stan, however I stand by what i said regarding others who charge for autographs, the fans are who made them successful to begin with. And a little autograph for fans whom paid entrance fee's to cons which pay for the signee's appearance fee and rider, etc.. should not be an added fee.

Now I could understand if it were a 8x10 photo they sold with a signature on it.

thats different to cover costs of printing etc..

just my opinion.

no need to attack. I have been in the entertainment biz (music) for some time and none of my bands or friends in bands ever charge for autographs and if they did, would be laughed at as commercial sell outs.

Ok time for me to chime in..

I feel that I have "EARNED" the right to speak on this subject being that I have been involved in 3 Stan Lee signings in a little more then a month. Please allow me to address some misunderstandings.

1. When Stan signs at a public con signing such as he did in New York several times, he does not charge a fee to the fan for the autograph. His fee is covered by either the con organizers or the owners of the booth that he is at.

2. When Stan signs at a public con signing, he very much limits how many books he will sign based on time.

3. When Stan signs at a private con signing such as he did 2 times with my company while in New York, he does charge me for each of his signatures. That is how he covers his fee for his time. I, in turn, charge the customer for each book signed by Stan. In a private signing, Stan for the most part will sign as many books as I can put in front of him. So in short, a private signing such as the one that I provided in New York was the ONLY way to guarantee a comic fan to get their books signed.

As for other comic creators, most of them have to pay a fee for the booth/table that they are at. So in order to recover their expenses of being at the con, they must charge a small fee for their signature. If you don't understand the economics of why they must do that, then you do not have any right to criticize them for what they do.

And finally if you want to criticize people such as myself who charge for providing such a service like I do, then you try to walk in my shoes before you say anything.

Chandler Rice

Desert Wind Comics

I feel that I have "EARNED" the right to speak on this subject being that I have been involved in 3 Stan Lee signings in a little more then a month. Please allow me to address some misunderstandings.

1. When Stan signs at a public con signing such as he did in New York several times, he does not charge a fee to the fan for the autograph. His fee is covered by either the con organizers or the owners of the booth that he is at.

2. When Stan signs at a public con signing, he very much limits how many books he will sign based on time.

3. When Stan signs at a private con signing such as he did 2 times with my company while in New York, he does charge me for each of his signatures. That is how he covers his fee for his time. I, in turn, charge the customer for each book signed by Stan. In a private signing, Stan for the most part will sign as many books as I can put in front of him. So in short, a private signing such as the one that I provided in New York was the ONLY way to guarantee a comic fan to get their books signed.

As for other comic creators, most of them have to pay a fee for the booth/table that they are at. So in order to recover their expenses of being at the con, they must charge a small fee for their signature. If you don't understand the economics of why they must do that, then you do not have any right to criticize them for what they do.

And finally if you want to criticize people such as myself who charge for providing such a service like I do, then you try to walk in my shoes before you say anything.

Chandler Rice

Desert Wind Comics

Quit writing so much Chandler and go back and stand in line... :foryou:

Chandler Rice

Desert Wind Comics

Quit writing so much Chandler and go back and stand in line... :foryou:

What do I look like?? A line place holder? I do have a brain and I do on rare occasions use it by writing.. Besides I have to get off my feet and rest sometime. So SMACK on you Jazzman. lol

:sumo:

Chandler Rice

Desert Wind Comics

Hey Jazz,

You going to be at Emerlad City?? If so, you can buy me a drink for standing in line for you. lol

Chandler Rice

Desert Wind Comics

I'll be there...don't worry, I'll bring you one to the line of your choice! :insane:

Wow....I walk away for a day or two and look what happens.... lol

I can see both sides of the signing argument. On the one hand, yeah we did make them "famous" (are comics people famous? that's a whole 'nother topic) and some are paid quite nicely for their contributions. On the other hand, depending on how big the show is, there are fees associated with the appearance such as travel, hotel, meals, etc. that I can imagine the creators might want to (or have to) recoup. I think that it is dangerous to assume that these people "owe" us anything, although a little generosity is really nice.

I guess what it boils down to is that I don't like them charging, but if it's someone I want, I'll still pay it.

I don't get to attend many shows, so I have to pay witnesses or friends I've found on here to get these done for me. So in reality, I pay more than a lot people for autographs, and I'm okay with it!

(thumbs u

words

Chandler Rice

Desert Wind Comics

I wasnt criticizing you, actually my comments had nothing to do with you. I don't even see why you felt the need to respond the way you did to me, just some guy with an opinion.

Obviously I have struck a chord with some of you so I will stop here with one last thought.

I'm just a guy who was asking a few questions. Some of you took them way out of context, I am not really the type of person to really get to involved on internet forums as they tend to breed drama and contempt.

So I will go back to lurking. Besides I have better things to do like get my submissions in order to drive them up the street to CGC for grading than try to explain my intent or tone on the web.

words

Chandler Rice

Desert Wind Comics

I wasnt criticizing you, actually my comments had nothing to do with you. I don't even see why you felt the need to respond the way you did to me, just some guy with an opinion.

Obviously I have struck a chord with some of you so I will stop here with one last thought.

I'm just a guy who was asking a few questions. Some of you took them way out of context, I am not really the type of person to really get to involved on internet forums as they tend to breed drama and contempt.

So I will go back to lurking. Besides I have better things to do like get my submissions in order to drive them up the street to CGC for grading than try to explain my intent or tone on the web.

lol actually I wasn't aiming my comments at you specifically. I was explaining in a general context what creators have to deal with being that I spend alot of time around them.

And I didn't say anything until this thread was onto a 2nd page after your comment. I was a little taken back by your presuptions of Stan. If you knew the man like I do, you would not feel the need to make the statements you made about him. And if you understood the true financial interaction of Stan, then you would fell silly even suggesting some of the comments you made. But it is all in the open now and over with. I hope you have the chance to actually meet him someday.

Chandler Rice

Desert Wind Comics

I think you guys were a little rough on Tablism.

He is obviously new to comic autographs and was trying to express his opinion.

There was no need to make fun of whatever bands this individual might represent, especially when we should be trying to get new people onto these forums.

I think you guys were a little rough on Tablism.

He is obviously new to comic autographs and was trying to express his opinion.

There was no need to make fun of whatever bands this individual might represent, especially when we should be trying to get new people onto these forums.

I never said anything about his bands. Hell I am married to a women who managed a big band for 10 years in Texas, If I was to say any negative about band managers, I would be typing with my nose, because she would break my fingers. lol

Chandler Rice

Desert Wind Comics

words

Chandler Rice

Desert Wind Comics

Wow :o you're making friends quick around here....huh kid? :boo: