• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is CGC important?!

23 posts in this topic

Is CGC important for you? Why?!

What thrills you to have a copie graded/slabbed (apart the investisement)?!

What makes you spend big bucks on a slabbed comic in 9.4 and wanting to have the same at 9.6 (up grade it)?!

Regards, Pedro.

They're a better protection against restoration on expensive books than was generally available before CGC came into being.

The holder is somewhat attractive. On the other hand, everybody's general complaint is that you can't open the book up, and with a comic, that's half the purpose of owning them. I look at slabbing primarily as a way to sell comics safely...once you buy a CGC'ed comic, if your intention is to keep it indefinitely, then crack open the slab. The slab is an insurance cost to me...you can easily lose more money than the slabbing costs by buying a restored or overgraded book which costs $200 or more.

What makes you spend big bucks on a slabbed comic in 9.4 and wanting to have the same at 9.6 (up grade it)?!

I have a really tiny wanker and those big CGC numbers help me to compensate for it. shocked.gifacclaim.gif

Yes, it has made the Silver Age books in FINE drop in price.

I can now buy most FINE books CGC graded at the same price they were selling raw two years ago. And I'm now sure to get the real deal, not VG books sold as FINE.

Eventhough I crack 99% of the slabbed books I buy, they do look very pretty in their little plastic house.....+ as James said..RESTORATION DETECTION...

I don't mind buying certain restored books....but at restored-book prices.

I have always been a high grade collector (VF or better). Now, I know what I'm getting.

I stopped collecting for several years because of rampant overgrading / restoration.

I don't mind paying for what I want. I just want to get what I paid for.

Regarding 9.4 ugraded to 9.6; In general I collect mostly 9.0 to 9.2 as I really don't want to pay double the price to get a 9.4 instead of a 9.2. In either case, both books are CLEARLY high grade (which is what I collect).

I just got my first CGC books back today!

The thrill!

The nervously shaking hands!

The joy when all of the page quality was OW/W(with one OW)!

No COWs! 893applaud-thumb.gif

It's a sickness.

But like Diana Ross said: "If there's a cure for this, I don't want it. Don't want it"

Thanks to the wonders of modern medical research and technology, there IS a cure!!!

But like you, I don't want it!!! cloud9.gif

The link no worky... frown.gif

"The page cannot be displayed

The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings."

The link no worky... frown.gif

"The page cannot be displayed

The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings."

Fixed before you even finished your message! The board edited out part of the URL...you can imagine why!

I get spammed every to buy those! 893frustrated.gif

As does every man, woman, child, and grandmother on the planet right now. We get more "enhancement" ads at work sometimes than we get regular business e-mail!

CGC is important if you are buying or selling comics and don't know how to identify restoration. If you are an experienced collector who has spent many years learning how to ID resto, then no, it's not important. For folks who don't want to take chances, then CGC is the way to go.

If, you are buying comics to put into your collection for a long time, you had better de-slab them. CGC holders are not proven to be archivally safe and I think that over the long haul they might do damage to your books.

IMHO paying big money to upgrade from NM- (9.2) or NM (9.4) to NM+ (9.6) is a fools errand. The difference in condition of the book is so miniscule as to be irrelevant.

If you are an experienced collector who has spent many years learning how to ID resto, then no, it's not important. For folks who don't want to take chances, then CGC is the way to go.

Unless you live overseas and you don't have the opportunity to see the book first hand. CGC is a godsend in this regard.

CGC can be a very important part of your collecting, assuming you go in with the right mindset. Buyers of rare and uber-valuable comics get better piece of mind with the resto check and certified grade, International and mail-order buyers are assured of a better experience through consistency, and owners of high-grade raw comics can cut out the middle-man and actually make some cash selling their books.

Where the CGC phenomenon goes off-track are those who believe that buying high-grade slabbed comics somehow gives them an "advantage" when investing, or makes it "easier to invest smartly". The fallacy in these statements should be self-evident, as if even a chimp can do it, then buyers likely won't make a cent. This "CGC makes it easy" only works on the selling side, and the overt and simplistic investment angle is troublesome to say the least.

Overall though, CGC gets my thumbs up, and to heck with the speculators who will drown come 2004.

I have a really tiny wanker and those big CGC numbers help me to compensate for it.

Misuse of the word "wanker"!! 15-yard penalty!! 893naughty-thumb.gif

One can *be* a wanker, but one does not *have* a wanker!! May I humbly suggest, like Leon Phelps the Ladies Man, using the term "wang" instead? confused-smiley-013.gif

Gene

Misuse of the word "wanker"!! 15-yard penalty!! 893naughty-thumb.gif

One can *be* a wanker, but one does not *have* a wanker!! May I humbly suggest, like Leon Phelps the Ladies Man, using the term "wang" instead? confused-smiley-013.gif

hehe, sorry, it was the first synonym I could think of after the board filtered out the word [!@#%^&^]! blush.gif