• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post Your Best RAW Silver Age Book

110 posts in this topic

No way to really calculate this, but I believe this % could grow over time, not diminish. The changing nature of grading, and the up-and-down nature of CGC's grading in particular, lend themselves to people re-submitting books over time. The motivation for those people to acknowledge that the book in question is a re-sub is simply not there. If you're shooting for a higher grade upon re-submitting (and everyone is, let's face it), are you really going to send in the label with the "VF+ 8.5" on it, even though CGC guarantees that the graders won't see this?

This is a key point that lots of people miss, and I'd bet it is a more serious problem than most might think. The most likely re-subs are going to be big dollar, books, where thousands of dollars are at stake. I would be willing to bet that the census repors on many BSD books are inflated. As you said, there really aren't many people who are going to re-sub a book with the old label, so the problem is unavoidable.

I too believe this to be a much bigger problem down the road. Making scans of every CGC graded book and cataloging them might be a way to help cut down on it. But then submission fee prices would have to skyrocket (and take twice as long) to pay for the additional costs and time spent checking them. Submitting the label with the book does cut down on resub. costs, but its too small to really matter on those high $$ books. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif On some books however you many want to keep those census numbers as low as possible to help the resel price of the book. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Let's try to create a little more traffic in this forum...

Post a scan of the absolute best condition raw S.A. book you own. Anything from 1956 to 1969 will do. Whether it guides at $12.00 or $20 000.00, let's see it.

Here is mine:

From 1969...the scan does it no justice. Perfect deep gloss, and WHITE pages.

I have a Sgt. Fury 23 and a Not Brand Echh 5 that were in the running, but...

Your turn!

Here is mine:

FF47.jpg

No way to really calculate this, but I believe this % could grow over time, not diminish. The changing nature of grading, and the up-and-down nature of CGC's grading in particular, lend themselves to people re-submitting books over time. The motivation for those people to acknowledge that the book in question is a re-sub is simply not there. If you're shooting for a higher grade upon re-submitting (and everyone is, let's face it), are you really going to send in the label with the "VF+ 8.5" on it, even though CGC guarantees that the graders won't see this?

This is a key point that lots of people miss, and I'd bet it is a more serious problem than most might think. The most likely re-subs are going to be big dollar, books, where thousands of dollars are at stake. I would be willing to bet that the census repors on many BSD books are inflated. As you said, there really aren't many people who are going to re-sub a book with the old label, so the problem is unavoidable.

Which is why CGC should come up with a system for identifying every book that's ever been slabbed, via some sort of code/serial # that can only be seen via UV light or something. Put it in 6-point type in the margin on the last page of the comic, and voila, you have a means of cross-referencing every book that comes through CGC's doors.

Advantages:

- ability to track stolen books even if they're de-slabbed

- ability to ensure complete accuracy of the CGC census

- ability to deter restoration efforts on key books that are then re-submitted

- probably other advantages I'm overlooking at the moment..?

Disadvantages?

- Some people might balk at having *anything* added to their comics, but

...we're talking about invisible ink here

...this is far less obtrusive than a date stamp, or "Mike" written on the cover of a high grade GA key which still gets a 9.4

- Other disadvantages? Can't think of any off-hand...

I like the invisible stam/mark whose location is only known to CGC idea.....but lets face it: word will get around where it is and what it looks like etc. so that in time it will be counterfeited. Whatever they go with to solve the serious census problem has to be foolproof or it will lead to new and different issues to be dealt with.

I don't think there is a practical solution to making the census accurate.

But on an individual level, the solution is not to use the census information as a major factor when deciding what to pay for a high end book. Study the market, use services like GPAnalysis as a rough idea of how many times the book have been offered on the market, and use rational judgement based on all these factors to come up with a fair price. I think people are relying far too much on the census to govern their purchasing decisions, and sellers are using it far too much to hawk their books. I'm sure I'm not the only one getting tired of seeing books being sold as "the best copy in the whole wide world" or " This is the 17th best copy in existence!!".