• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tougher to find Timelys?

46 posts in this topic

I have noticed that in some threads people have mentioned that Marvel Mystery #X is tougher to find than the surrounding issues or Cap #Y is tougher...is there a cheat sheet version somewhere that can tell me what are the tougher issues of each particular run? Marvels and Caps', Subbys' and Torchs' if not too inconvenient.

Thanks,

Jim

Overstreet will list them as scarce and you can also browse the CGC census for a decent idea of population. I'm sure some of the big boys will chime in with better advice.

(thumbs u

Here's are the issues that I have found to be tough,

Marvel Mystery 40,44,46

Subby 28-32

Cap 13, 70, 77

I think you can find the rest of them if you have the $'s.

Marvel Mystery 40,44,46

Subby 28-32

Cap 13, 70, 77

And I would add Marvel Mystery #2 and #9 to that list as well but Podboy is correct especially in high grade.

Marvel Mystery 40,44,46

Subby 28-32

Cap 13, 70, 77

And I would add Marvel Mystery #2 and #9 to that list as well but Podboy is correct especially in high grade.

MM #9 - duhh!!! zzz

Yeah, that one's tough

In putting together a high grade Torch run, the toughest for me were 31 - 33. In the teens 14 and 17 turned up less often than the others. And 7 is the toughest of the first ten to find in grade, though if condition isn't important it is fairly available.

I haven't checked the census, but that was my experience.

In general, most Timelys are available...Gator completed Marvel Mystery and Captain America over lunch! But some of them are very hard to find nice.

In putting together a high grade Torch run, the toughest for me were 31 - 33. In the teens 14 and 17 turned up less often than the others. And 7 is the toughest of the first ten to find in grade, though if condition isn't important it is fairly available.

I haven't checked the census, but that was my experience.

In general, most Timelys are available...Gator completed Marvel Mystery and Captain America over lunch! But some of them are very hard to find nice.

lol

here was my "experience", real world, all in the last year or so...these were issues that were not readily available in "any" condition

MMC 9, 40, 46, 86

Cap 8 (suprisingly tough), 13,16, 36, 46 (someone mentioned 70, there are actually quite a few copies, not that tough, just pricey)

there are others, of course, but those proved to be the last ones I was able to aquire, some with luck, some with throwing money, some with a lot of help

Marvel Mystery 40,44,46

Subby 28-32

Cap 13, 70, 77

Are you sure about the those Subby issues? Maybe the high grade is tougher.

I found an issue 31 but don't have a 32 yet.

Are there a lot of Cap 36 and 46 out there? I thought that Cap 46 was hard to find.

bb

2455952135_c2dca3cdfb.jpg

2456781612_e27f30bd96.jpg

And these Marvel Mystery scans are from a Heritage auction or some other reference. I would like to find the covers.

You can even keep the insides if you have one for sale.

2456787576_11bd9e8abb.jpg

2455958535_f5fd06bfc9.jpg

Marvel Mystery 40,44,46

Subby 28-32

Cap 13, 70, 77

Are there a lot of Cap 36 and 46 out there? I thought that Cap 46 was hard to find.

bb

cap 36 and 46 are 2 of the toughest...

I always thought #74 was tough in any grade. Is it?

R.

A perfect example of high prices bringing copies out of the woodwork - once it was recognized that a GD copy would sell for $1000 or more - suddenly the book was fairly available.

There are two kinds of scarce- absolute scarcity - where there are less copies in existence than other issues of the title, and scarcity in relation to demand - largely driven by competition from classic cover collectors that aren't that interested in random Timelys. The second group doesn't last long in dealer inventory or leave collections until prices get high enough that they surface and stick around for a while. Many of the books listed already fall into this second category.

I thought Daring Mystery #2 was supposed to be the scarcest Timely - is this no longer true.

Here's another question - why does there seem to be an abundance of copies of Young Allies #1 available?

It's a little expensive - but it is a minor key and has a great S&k Hitler/Red Skull cover - I would have thought it would be a fairly high demand Timely - or is there just not much love for the Young Allies?

I always thought #74 was tough in any grade. Is it?

R.

A perfect example of high prices bringing copies out of the woodwork - once it was recognized that a GD copy would sell for $1000 or more - suddenly the book was fairly available.

There are two kinds of scarce- absolute scarcity - where there are less copies in existence than other issues of the title, and scarcity in relation to demand - largely driven by competition from classic cover collectors that aren't that interested in random Timelys. The second group doesn't last long in dealer inventory or leave collections until prices get high enough that they surface and stick around for a while. Many of the books listed already fall into this second category.

I thought Daring Mystery #2 was supposed to be the scarcest Timely - is this no longer true.

Here's another question - why does there seem to be an abundance of copies of Young Allies #1 available?

It's a little expensive - but it is a minor key and has a great S&k Hitler/Red Skull cover - I would have thought it would be a fairly high demand Timely - or is there just not much love for the Young Allies?

You have doubly strong sentiments about this.

You have doubly strong sentiments about this.

Marvel Mystery 40,44,46

Subby 28-32

Cap 13, 70, 77

bb

cap 36 and 46 are 2 of the toughest...

Chasing Timelys for the past decade, I would add Mystic 4, USA 10, Human Torch 10 and All Winners 7 to that list. These issues have been the most elusive of the bunch.

GE

Marvel Mystery 40,44,46

Subby 28-32

Cap 13, 70, 77

2455952135_c2dca3cdfb.jpg

2456781612_e27f30bd96.jpg

With regard to the Subbies, I have been trying to finish the run for ten years now and have very rarely seen 29, 30 and 31 for sale. I think this is backed up by the CGC census, where there 8 graded copies of 28, 4 - 29, 3 - 30 and 2 - 31. While there are 16 graded copies of # 32, but very few copies in high grade. I actually have 5 copies of # 32 right now and I had one up for sale in the sale forum recently.

Just my 2 cents.