• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this board an accurate reflection of the hobby?

92 posts in this topic

Hi everyone...

As I've mentioned in just about every post I've made, I'm a recent returnee to comic collecting. My collecting goals are fairly modest compared to what I've read about here, I'm mainly interested in affordable copies of the top ten or so SA Marvel keys, the stuff I could never have as a kid. My price point is in the $700-$1700 range (although that could be stretched for the right deal). I don't mind if my 45 year old comics look like 45 year old comics.

Anyway, this is my point: this is the only comic board that I read and I wonder if it's giving me a skewed perception of the hobby. It seems like the majority of the people who post are HG elitists. Elitist is kind of a negative word but I don't mean it negatively. I'm just wondering, does the HG crowd represent a small niche, or are your opinions typical of the hobby?

I'm not buying to invest, but I do wish to buy wisely, and it kind of feels like I'm not doing it right. I'm not asking anyone to tell me what to do; I know which books I want and what my spending comfort zone is. It's just that the hobby seems to have changed so much since I left it 30 years ago. Is this board the best place for me to catch up? I sometimes feel like a beer drinker at a wine tasting.

I do really enjoy what most of you guys write about, I'm constantly impressed by the knowledge and resourcefulness on display here, and many of you are very funny as well. I guess it boils down to, is this the reality of the hobby, or just a small segment of it?

Thanks for reading my post, and extra thanks for any responses!

No.
Ditto
Double ditto

Jim

No, no, no, and oh no.

For a start we generally talk about whats happened on the 'outside', and only on occasion does a big even tie-in to a board member, outside of dealer activities.

No this group is not typical.

Yes, most of us are high grade elitists. It is, after all, a CGC message board.

If you are collecting with future resale value in mind, it is my opinion that anything other than high grade is very risky.

I'm mainly interested in affordable copies of the top ten or so SA Marvel keys, the stuff I could never have as a kid. My price point is in the $700-$1700 range (although that could be stretched for the right deal).

This alone makes you an elitist compared to the vast majority of comic collectors. Seriously. So maybe you are in the right place afterall. :)

It seems like the majority of the people who post are HG elitists.

That's pretty well who's here, along with the real whackos who spend insane amounts of money on CGC 9.6-9.8 copies, and then justify the purchases by incessantly posting scans at the drop of a hat.

"Oh, you sound like a guy with an IRON head - check out this CGC 9.8 copy of Iron Man 118!!".

"So, you like eating at SUBway? That reminds me of the killer CGC 9.8 copy of Sub-Mariner 8 that I bought awahile back..."

doh!

Is this board an accurate reflection of the hobby?

My first response is lol .

This board is nothing but a microcosm of the hobby. After all, it is a message hosted by CGC. Just ask CharltonGuy and Red Hook. Oh wait, you can't.

It is my opinion that the majority of opinions that you find reflected here are not indicative of the hobby as a whole. However, they do seem to either lean far to the left or far to the right. There's isn't a lot of fence sitting. If you think about it, it's amazing that we get along as well as we do.

I think the "greggy" factor is the glue that binds us all together. hm

I am a vg/fn and restored comics ok with me kind of guy....as are most GA collectors...we only have a few "elitists", but they are the devil reincarnate :baiting:

That's pretty well who's here, along with the real whackos who spend insane amounts of money on CGC 9.6-9.8 copies, and then justify the purchases by incessantly posting scans at the drop of a hat.

"Oh, you sound like a guy with an IRON head - check out this CGC 9.8 copy of Iron Man 118!!".

"So, you like eating at SUBway? That reminds me of the killer CGC 9.8 copy of Sub-Mariner 8 that I bought awahile back..."

doh!

:roflmao:

doh!

well, atleast we don't carry a wallet picture portfolio of our precious books...

say - wait a minute, that's not such a bad idea.

hm

If you are collecting with future resale value in mind, it is my opinion that anything other than high grade is very risky.

High grade collecting is not without risk either...you could argue that the lower grade prices are actually very stable. It's the high grades that have high volatility, as folks scatter to bid up the first ever 9.4, the new "high census copy", etc.

High grade collecting is not without risk either...you could argue that the lower grade prices are actually very stable. It's the high grades that have high volatility, as folks scatter to bid up the first ever 9.4, the new "high census copy", etc.
Sure it all has risk. I'm not sure about lower grades being that stable. They've been falling for years.

J.C.---different strokes for different folks. Just because you don't show scans of books doesn't mean that others who do it are trying to find "approval" or justification with others. Maybe they just love to show it off. Egotistical HG elitists I say... lol