• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do the Churches run through the Atlas Superhero revival books?

35 posts in this topic

I've never seen one and with the Mile High run stopping in '54 (?) they may not be a part of it.Great question.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I've never seen one and with the Mile High run stopping in '54 (?) they may not be a part of it.Great question.GOD BLESS...

I was just looking at Chuck's 1977 sales ad for the Church books. Looking at the title Human Torch it lists issues up to #35. Issue 35 was printed two months after Young Men #24.

As to Wyatt Earp, I am not familiar with that title and it is not listed in the 1977 ad.

Chuck had moved some of the books by the time the ad came out but mostly early keys from what I understand.The Cap list stops at 73 which jibes with the general belief that there was no 74.That would exclude the Cap atom ages.I did notice at the top of the list Captain America # 1 with a 1/4" tear for $ 4000.Now what STARK RAVING FOOL would spend that kind of coin on a used funny book? GOD BLESS...

:gossip: It didn't stop in '54.

Chuck had moved some of the books by the time the ad came out but mostly early keys from what I understand.The Cap list stops at 73 which jibes with the general belief that there was no 74.That would exclude the Cap atom ages.I did notice at the top of the list Captain America # 1 with a 1/4" tear for $ 4000.Now what STARK RAVING FOOL would spend that kind of coin on a used funny book? GOD BLESS...

Another observation....Sub-mariner stops at # 31 and I think I remember seeing a Church # 32 on Metro's site at 8.5 so it is possible that some later issues could be missing from the list although it would be highly unusual for someone to snag the Atlas revival issues and leave the S&K Caps,the HT 12,the Cap 46,etc....but who knows (shrug) .John Verzyl would probably be the best shot for an answer next to Rozanski himself.As an Everett fan I COULD see someone snagging the Subby 32-42....but I've long since accepted the fact that the way I think is no indicator for the rest of the herd.The question that's always puzzled me is why did Church stop buying so abruptly....maybe the Senate hearings made him nervous in those McCarthy witch hunt days about how someone may have looked at his age while buying the bajeebies out of those "Pamplets of Pure Evil.'GOD BLESS...

The Church collection has always been interesting....what year did it stop?GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a feriend of jesus) (thumbs u

I was just looking at Chuck's 1977 sales ad for the Church books. Looking at the title Human Torch it lists issues up to #35. Issue 35 was printed two months after Young Men #24.

Human Torch 35 was March 1949.

Human Torch 35 was March 1949.

Your right, I was lazy and just subtracted two months from the date of Human Torch 36. Thanks for the correction.

Church retired a year or two before the collection stopped. I think the retirement issue is probably as good a reason as any why the collection eventually stopped. The last issues I think are from 1956, maybe some few stragglers into 57. By this time Church was nearing 70 also, maybe his health wasn't too good?

Would love to see a complete Atlas superhero Church run. I think the Church Sub-Mariner Comics #32 may have been stolen (so I've heard).

That's sad. It definitely existed and was an 8.5 per JimJum or 8.0 (my recollection).

Would love to see a complete Atlas superhero Church run. I think the Church Sub-Mariner Comics #32 may have been stolen (so I've heard).

stolen? (details) and from whom? I hadn't noticed or heard anything...do tell...

There are no Namoras on the list....does anyone know if they are part of the bunch...also,what about Venus?GOD BLESS...

The Church collection has always been interesting....what year did it stop?GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a feriend of jesus) (thumbs u

I have a Western Kid from October 56.

I guess you could always send an e-mail to Chuck via the Mile High site. I'm sure he would respond.

Mike

There are no Namoras on the list....does anyone know if they are part of the bunch...also,what about Venus?GOD BLESS...

There are some copies of Venus.