• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvels slate of films:IM 2, Thor, Cap America, and Avengers

71 posts in this topic

I'm betting they will tie in the Cap and Avengers Movies into one. They'll do a Nick Fury/Ultimate Avengers story line where they discover Captain America and then battle the Hulk. This makes a lot of sense in that they can then continue spin off movies from there....

That would be my guess from what I have see in the Iron Man film, the Cap movie hype and then the teaser at the end of IM.

R.

I don't think I could sit through two hours of someone saying "Thee, thy, thine" etc. without wanting to kill somebody

Maybe a Black Bolt movie is more up your alley? Two hours of a guy that can't talk followed by a few screams. :D

A mime?

The Avengers movie will most likely be based on the Ultimates.

As for Thor, I thought Kevin McKidd was going to play him.

That movie and Captain America are going to be hard sells to the non-comic loving public.

My fingers are crossed.

If Matthew Vaughn, the director of Star Dust, makes Thor look like that movie, then it could pretty much be a fantasy type movie with Asgardian types like the Executioner/Enchantress and vast shots of Heimdall on the rainbow bridge.

Personally, I think the logical choice for the Avengers movie is to include the Ultimates arc... (depending on how the Hulk movie does.)

The ultimates arc is the way to go. If they base the Avengers off of the Ultimates Vol.1 , THAT would be a great movie. The Thor movie should be a mix between a good origin and move him to present day with some superhero cameos. Too much asgard would not set him up for the Avengers, but we have to know why he is here instead of expecting " Oh look, Thor the God of Thunder" "Whys he here ?" "Who cares he is crazy, and has some sweet heavy metal hair !"

You know for a B tier character Iron Man did pretty good. It's all going to be about the production and acting. That's what carried this movie...not the character and people's abiblity to identify him...and that is a first for a superhero movie.

Batman was all about Batman.

Supes, the same.

Spidey is a given.

Iron man? It does not get harder to sell than that to the general public IMO.

R.

You know for a B tier character Iron Man did pretty good. It's all going to be about the production and acting. That's what carried this movie...not the character and people's abiblity to identify him...and that is a first for a superhero movie.

Supes, the same.

Spidey is a given.

R.

Iron Man broke the "B" Rating last year, 2 years ago ?? Currently Iron Man is the center of attention , from civil war to secret invasion. He runs shield has a good selling series and leads the mighty avengers. Tony Stark has definately been "the man" for awhile now. But everybody will always think about the prior series being very sub-par.

Thor seems like a terrible choice.

Where's the Black Bolt movie! :sumo:

Whaaa? Thor has rich story lines to tap, if done properly it could be like a mini Lord of the Rings.

Except Thor is in the present and generally hangs out in New York.

If they take it to Asgard and do a good mythological God story, ok.

To that that character and put him on earth and make him a super-hero, I just don't see that looking anything but bad. Then again, I never cared for the Earth stories in the comics either. Give me Odin, Loki, Ulik and Asgard any day.

You're pretty much stating my thoughts exactly. If they stick to the mythological god route, I'd really be interested... but I'm not sure how it will translate over into the Big Apple. I was a little taken aback at first the casting of Samuel L. for Nick Fury, but the more I think about it, it's really an exceptionally smart choice. So, I'll be looking forward to seeing S.H.I.E.L.D.'s later involvement as well. Two Avengers movies in one summer though... that could either blow up in a good way or bad way--hopefully for the best.

In any event, I love seeing all of these comic heroes up on the big screen even if all of the showings aren't 100% spot on.

Guaranteed it would be old world Thor and none of this modern day Asgard on Earth nonsense (what a travesty). They already have the Surtur Saga to lean on as a storyline and as far as story boards go they could copy Simonson's work to cover off the bulk of the back story. Issue #349 comes to mind as Odin tells Thor of the history of his brothers and their faithful meeting with Surtur eons ago. Loki is an obvious choice but I think they would be better served if they went with the sure thing (Surtur Saga) because it summarizes so much of the lore and involves many of the characters. My personal favorite would be the brittle bones curse that Hela put on Thor and then he travels to Hell in the Destroyer's shell to kick some tail, doesn't get any better than that. :cloud9: Think I'm going to read that arc tonight for the 100th time, classic!

Hopefully they won't turn Thor into a frog.

Verily, that wouldst suckest donkey balls.

Supes, the same.

Spidey is a given.

R.

Iron Man broke the "B" Rating last year, 2 years ago ?? Currently Iron Man is the center of attention , from civil war to secret invasion. He runs shield has a good selling series and leads the mighty avengers. Tony Stark has definately been "the man" for awhile now. But everybody will always think about the prior series being very sub-par.

Do you really think anyone outside of the relatively small comic collecting community would have any idea whatsoever of any of the stuff you just mentioned?

Supes, the same.

Spidey is a given.

R.

But I think that's Roy's point: Batman, Superman, and Spidey have been A-listers for DECADES now where as Iron Man is only now beginning to come into his own. It's simply a matter of looking at the big picture--TS has been a solid supporting hero up until recently when Marvel really gave him a big boost.

If many of these newer movies are going to be based on moderns... looks like it's all going to be new to me. :shrug: But, if it's anything like IM, then it should be good.

The Avengers movie will most likely be based on the Ultimates.

As for Thor, I thought Kevin McKidd was going to play him.

That movie and Captain America are going to be hard sells to the non-comic loving public.

My fingers are crossed.

This is EXACTLY what the pundits said about Iron Man. I'm pretty sure you can find a quote or two from JC that basically says something like that.

Supes, the same.

Spidey is a given.

R.

Do you really think anyone outside of the relatively small comic collecting community would have any idea whatsoever of any of the stuff you just mentioned?

That would be why I mention it here.

Supes, the same.

Spidey is a given.

R.

Captain America YES

Thor NO

My g/f knows who Cap is but not Thor.

Supes, the same.

Spidey is a given.

R.

gotta agree w/ this- avengers etc sell 50-75k copies a month. 14mm people saw this movie this weekend in the US. this had nothing to do w/ IM being an A character or a B character at all. this was about a movie that got great reviews period.

Supes, the same.

Spidey is a given.

R.

Ok, so you're not making a correlation between Iron Man's current popularity in comicdom to the success of the movie? That's how your response to Roy reads.

A good concept sells a movie, regardless if the characters are recognized. How many movies do you go to in which you know in advance anything about the characters? I think Moon Knight would make for a great movie if it were done properly. It's all about presentation.

Hundreds of movies are made each year with new characters and they don't seem to handicap the movie. Bad directing, writing, and acting usually do. The general public knows more about Superman than Iron Man, but IM has already hit one out of the park. IM hit all the marks of what people expect out of a superhero movie. SR and the first Hulk didn't.

Supes, the same.

Spidey is a given.

R.

Ok, so you're not making a correlation between Iron Man's current popularity in comicdom to the success of the movie? That's how your response to Roy reads.

Iron Man is hot to the few thousand people who go into comic shops each week to buy modern comic books...not to the masses. I'll bet they recognize Superman, Batman and Spidey in every country of the world by now...well most, anyway. Sorry, Iron Man is still a B class hero as far as the average joe is concerned. That's why I qualified it with "the general public".

Iron Man did well because it was a fantastic, world class movie.

Spider-man 3 did well because it was Spidey.

R.

Supes, the same.

Spidey is a given.

R.

I was speaking of his current standings in comics. And not saying that anybody (who does not read current comics) would have a clue about that.

Supes, the same.

Spidey is a given.

R.

Iron Man is hot to the few thousand people who go into comic shops each week to buy modern comic books...not to the masses. I'll bet they recognize Superman, Batman and Spidey in every country of the world by now...well most, anyway. Sorry, Iron Man is still a B class hero as far as the average joe is concerned. That's why I qualified it with "the general public".

Iron Man did well because it was a fantastic, world class movie.

Spider-man 3 did well because it was Spidey.

R.

Agreed. I think that you may have been confused that I was implying most people would know his current standing in comics.

The success of the Iron Man movie is the best evidence so far that a comic character need not be iconic to interest the the general public. A cool trailer and good buzz will do the trick for the most part. Just the fact that a movie is based on a Marvel property creates a great deal of interest in the entertainment press and film fan media - If other properties keep bringing in the box office Marvel Studios could produce a Dazzler Movie and get the kind of ample free publicity that other studio projects would kill for.

I would love to see a Thor Movie - my guess - one half New York and one half Asgard and/or other mythical worlds. You get both sword and sandal action and trashing the big city battles.

Another safe bet - Loki convinces Odin into banishing Thor from/to somewhere setting up some major father/son drama.