• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Timely picture frame covers

36 posts in this topic

With all the interest in picture frame Marvels among BA collectors, I find it interesting that not much is made of the picture frame era of Timely books. Just as the later picture frame books mark the firm beginning of the Bronze Age for Marvel, the 1949 picture frame books are clearly the end of the Timely era. I think most collectors would agree that most everything afterwards would be considered an Atlas book, but how about before. Are Goodman published esoteric books (crime, teen, western, horror, etc) from 1948-1949 considered Timely or Atlas books?

I'm also wondering how universal the picture frame cover was for late Timely's - did every title have at least one? And what was the complete time frame for it's use?

To keep this thread interesting please post your favorite Timely picture frame covers. Here is an obvious one, which begs the further question - Cap #75 - Timely or Atlas? - remember there was a four month break between #74 and #75

cap74fc.jpg

Here's another - a bit of a beater but I love this cover! Almost surreal in its weirdness - and the first Timely "horror" book - though the stories are pretty tame - and the cover story is only a text piece :(

am32.jpg

Unfortunately my two posts cover my entire Timely Picture frame collection - I'm hoping others post - are there more coming from you, Buck? - sweet books so far. (thumbs u

also - I want opinions on the whole Timely to Atlas transition - where does one end and the other start?

Unfortunately my two posts cover my entire Timely Picture frame collection - I'm hoping others post - are there more coming from you, Buck? - sweet books so far. (thumbs u

also - I want opinions on the whole Timely to Atlas transition - where does one end and the other start?

I believe thats all I got. :(

The proportions on the Subby #31 cover are completely bizarre. If Subby is about 20,000 miles tall, just how big are Doctor Dill and his airplane?

I'm surprised no one has posted a Subby #32 yet - it sometimes seems as if every third GA board member has a copy (and it's a book I never tire of seeing)

Subby 32 is a picture frame, also Did anyone See the Amazing Mysterys on Lost the other night?

I caught that. It was in pretty bad shape considering it was being presented in a 1950's context. Although, I guess it was more realistic that the copy they used was a well read copy.

What kind of thought process do you think went on to use that particular book in the show last week, and do you think any special thought was given to the condition they wanted to portray?

Subby 32 is a picture frame, also Did anyone See the Amazing Mysterys on Lost the other night?

I caught that. It was in pretty bad shape considering it was being presented in a 1950's context. Although, I guess it was more realistic that the copy they used was a well read copy.

What kind of thought process do you think went on to use that particular book in the show last week, and do you think any special thought was given to the condition they wanted to portray?

For those that don't do "Lost", can you provide a brief background as to which book & it's context in the show? :wishluck:

For those that don't do "Lost", can you provide a brief background as to which book & it's context in the show? :wishluck:

In doing a little research, it appears the comic book on last week's Lost episode was Mystery Tales #40. It was shown during a flashback scene of one of the main characters during his childhood in the 50's. Here is a link with a little bit more info:

http://losteastereggs.blogspot.com/2008/05/comic-book-mystery-takes.html

Here's another - a bit of a beater but I love this cover! Almost surreal in its weirdness - and the first Timely "horror" book - though the stories are pretty tame - and the cover story is only a text piece :(

am32.jpg

and this is a super-hero book; the witness is in there.

I don't know if you can really call The Witness a super-hero. He is a continuing character, but really just a "man in black" style narrator.

all timely/atlas superhero collectors i know consider the witness #1 and his several other appearances to be on their want list. that's all i mean by it.