• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gene Colan ill

22 posts in this topic

http://ohdannyboy.blogspot.com/2008/05/original-art-stories-gene-colan-part-i.html

"I was deeply shocked and saddened to read this email, which crossed my desk this evening. From Gene Colan's wife, Adrienne, it documents Gene's current health problems. With Adrienne and Gene's permission I'm posting it here, and there'll be a plea at the end of the email itself. Not for money, but for a simple act of appreciation.

--------------

Gentlemen:

My darling, sweet, handsome and brilliantly gifted husband's liver is failing. The complications are very nasty. This week it's fluid retention and encephalitis. He's on powerful meds now to diminish the symptoms. He sleeps a lot and has very little energy. He wants you all to know how badly he wanted to attend the convention. He so seriously wanted to see you all and shoot the breeze.

Not sure how long we have left together, but our family whole and we'll be taking this sad journey together and nearby.

Anyone with commissions outstanding, I'll have a sense within the next couple of weeks if he can fulfill them, if not, please don't worry, I'll return your monies promptly. I don't want to pull the rug out from under him. But if he can do anything, he'll need to finish the 10 pgs. remaining on his 38 pg. Captain America Civil War for Marvel.

You all know how you've enriched Gene's life by coming forward and being a part of his. :)

love,

Adrienne

---------------------

So what's the plea? A simple one. Most people of a certain age are more than aware of Gene Colan and his art. He's one of those artists who amazed us back in the day with what he could do and he influenced a lot of those who came since. Be it his Marvel work of the '60s and '70s, or his DC work of the '80s or just his stunning commissions, he's had a genuine impact. To that end, and with the full knowledge and permission of the Colan family, I'm asking for anyone and everyone who's been touched by Gene's talent to send him a get well card. Nothing more, just a card and a short note to tell Gene how much he's meant. You can send the cards to this address:

Gene Colan

2 Sea Cliff Avenue

Sea Cliff, NY 11579

USA

If you admire Gene then let him know. Let him know that people out there are thinking of him. And watch this space - I'm working on something more to celebrate the life and art of Gene - the man can never too many tributes!"

:(

Mr. Colan did the art for both stories of my "pet" as well as the ENTIRE SERIES of Tomb of Dracula, and drew many TOS and some TTA, Daredevil, and I believe a few Avengers comics. Mr. Colan's output rivaled Buscema, and was close behind King Kirby.

Mr. Colan's work spoke for itself and the CAL family wishes Mr. Colan a speedy recovery.

CAL :wishluck:

This is saddening news, i wish Gene and his wife well. I met Gene at the first NYCCC, and we have talked at each con after. I looked for him at the recent con, so now i know why he wasn't there.

:cry: He was one of the most talented artists of all time. He will be missed.

he is not deceased yet!! :gossip:

Give the guy a chance. (thumbs u

:gossip: he's not gone and hopefully he won't be anytime soon. I will definitely be sending a card.

Gene is a talented artist!

One of the best in the history of Comics!

I wish GENE a speedy Recovery!

My prayers are with you and your family!!

he is not deceased yet!! :gossip:

Give the guy a chance. (thumbs u

We probably won't see him around at any cons any time soon. I just hope he pulls through...

Gene is a talented artist!

One of the best in the history of Comics!

I wish GENE a speedy Recovery!

My prayers are with you and your family!!

:applause:

we should all get some sort of mass forum signed card and some kinda get well soon gift basket type thing going, Like one big card that one guy signs and then sends to the next guy & the next guy & then to gene . That type of thing just makes someone go wow :D