• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,452 posts in this topic

I actually go out of my way to avoid

capes and spandex

so if it does turn out to be true, (which I doubt) it would probably be a good jumping off point for me. The scenario you guys explain would be an acceptable one, but in pretty much any other context it would be the black mark on a great series.

i hope its a Image United crossover with the super rare pour sugar in your gas tank variant.

^^ wouldn't that be great, they could take after Marvel and have a 1:300 incentive.

:jokealert: (the part about it being great, not the marvel part, unfortunately that's true)

I'm reading through the compendium and finding a lot of similarities between WD and Deadworld. I'm not saying WD is flat out stealing, but just that I sometimes feel a bit of deja vu while reading. Makes me wonder if Deadworld would have been a huge hit had the talent stayed on board.

I haven't heard of Deadworld before. If it's similar to the WD I'd like to try it out.

I did an eBay search and "mycomicshop" search about it. Are you refering to the series put out by IMAGE or the one put out by ARROW/CALIBER???

The Image series looks like it came out within the last 10 years.

The Arrow/Caliber series started in the mid 80's and looks like there are a ton of issues. Even a 2nd series that went into the 90's.

If you read this let me know which. (thumbs u

I only have issue one of the Image series. There were two Caliber runs and a handful of oneshots and minis. Then the image run, and I think there are still GN's being put out by the original writer, maybe self published? The first dozen or so issues were written by Gary Reed and illustrated by Vincent Locke. They were awesome. The similarities include

A one armed zombie killing hero, a group of survivors stumbling upon the home of some reclusive christians and getting thrown out, a member of the group being kidnapped and raped by another group of survivors, a rival group feeding lone travelers to zombies, and if I remember correctly they also fought for sport.

there could be more but that is just off the top of my head. Deadworld was more supernatural, with spirits and black magic and parallel universes, but when it first started it was about a group of teens trying to stake out a safe place to live, and that was when it was really good.

Oh yeah, and I have read the entire first two series as well as most of the Deadworld Chronicles oneshots and Caliber Presents/Calibrations issues with deadworld stories. I have the minis just haven't read them yet, and the first issue from the Image run that I peeked at but not read. Looks like a reboot of Vol. 1.

Thanks for the recommendation!

I was able to track these down and I'm currently reading them. (Man, am I happy Demoniod is back up and running!! :banana: )

So far I finished the 1st series (issues 1-26).

At first I was skeptical since it didn't follow the Romero rules for Zombies. (I'm refering to the "intelligent talking biker zombie.") But I stuck with it since all the other zombies do follow the Romero style rules. I did find myself enjoying it and obviously must have since I read 26 issues of it.

I see your point about the similarities. I think there are a ton of plot points most zombie stories use. Like searching for food, shelter, the downfall of people acting civilized, etc...

For me, what sets the WD apart from every other zombie tale is that it does it in a very serious way. I think that's what I like most about the WD. Most other zombie stories have that tongue and cheak humor added to it. Deadworld included. Like how the Deadworld artist draws funny expressions on the characters faces depending on the situation. Deadworld kind of reminds me of Bruce Campbell from the Evil Dead. Even Romero went with some humor with Bub in Day of the Dead.

So I guess what I'm trying to say, is that even though there are similarities I think the differences strike me more so. I'm enjoying both, but I think WD is more unique. (shrug)

By the way the always reliable wikipedia is saying that a Deadworld movie is being made.

and there are serbian versions of deadworld as well...

just sayin'

I will have some available next month for anyone who is interested. (thumbs u

The cover art on those Serbian comics do not look like Vincent Locke art to me. Any info on the cover artist?

It's not Vince Locke on the covers it's Dalibor Talajic. He's a Serbian artist, and these covers were done exclusively for the Serbian editions so you won't see them elsewhere.

Best,

Chris

Is Serbia so jacked up that they only like zombie books (okay, they had Invincible too, I just selectively chose to dis-include those)?

Pat

They are also doing Liberty Meadows so they like boobs too.

Boobs and Zombies...now if they could just fit Beer in there somewhere they would be practically Americanized.

The cover art on those Serbian comics do not look like Vincent Locke art to me. Any info on the cover artist?

It's not Vince Locke on the covers it's Dalibor Talajic. He's a Serbian artist, and these covers were done exclusively for the Serbian editions so you won't see them elsewhere.

Best,

Chris

:baiting: