• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,452 posts in this topic

From CBR RE: Walking Dead TV Show

Robert Kirkman's acclaimed zombie epic just took one more step towards a fully-fledged life on the small screen.

Variety is reporting that the AMC Network has greenlit a pilot for a "Walking Dead" TV series after reviewing the screenplay adaptation submitted by "Shawshank Redemption" director Frank Darabont. While the step does not ensure that fans will see a full show inspired by the Image Comics series hit the cable airwaves, the fact that a pilot will be committed to film for the channel known for high quality original programming such as "Mad Men" is a good sign for fans of the series.

Frank Darabont was attached to the Locke & Key pilot at HBO before this :( Edited by NewEnglandGothic

So when the heck is issue #69 due out??

From CBR RE: Walking Dead TV Show

Robert Kirkman's acclaimed zombie epic just took one more step towards a fully-fledged life on the small screen.

Variety is reporting that the AMC Network has greenlit a pilot for a "Walking Dead" TV series after reviewing the screenplay adaptation submitted by "Shawshank Redemption" director Frank Darabont. While the step does not ensure that fans will see a full show inspired by the Image Comics series hit the cable airwaves, the fact that a pilot will be committed to film for the channel known for high quality original programming such as "Mad Men" is a good sign for fans of the series.

When Kirkman spoke to CBR about the AMC deal last September, the writer said that a TV adaptation was "the only thing that really makes sense to me. The thing that makes 'The Walking Dead' unique and interesting is that it's a zombie movie that never ends – that's the log line or whatever. To do a zombie movie that's based on that? Kinda dumb."

Kirkman went on to say of Darabont's involvement with the project, "I think a really good indication that he's going to handle the series really well is his recent movie, 'The Mist.' A lot of people don't realize that Frank is a genre guy – he wrote 'The Blob,' he wrote 'A Nightmare on Elm Street 3.' He got his start doing horror stuff and he's a huge horror and sci-fi fan. He's been going to Comic-Con every year just for fun, whether he's putting a movie out or not. He kind of lives this stuff. If you watch 'The Mist,' you'll see that he can do the character development – he's an excellent writer – but 'The Mist' is a big indication that he knows how to handle the subject matter."

According to Variety, the pilot's development will include famed genre producer Gale Anne Hurd ("The Terminator," "The Incredible Hulk"). The network also greenlit a pilot for an adaptation of a Danish crime drama called "The Killing." However, at this point no casting announcements have been made for either show.

Yes! Yes! Yes!

:whee:

What am wondering is how they will handle deaths in the series. In the books you had some well established main characters die off (Rick's wife, Dale, etc..) and am wondering how quickly they will be in killing off a main character like that. Especially if the main character is played by a fairly well known actor/actress.
Hello... Emmy Awards :acclaim:.

^^

It's actually a perfect scenario really. You get some known actor/actress to anchor your show and maybe they can get some attention and Emmy nods. Then they can be killed off, to do a 3 picture deal at a studio, because this comic has just about a 100% mortality rate. It's a win-win situation for a known or fading actor/actress who doesn't want to be stuck on cable.

We might get some good actors on this :banana:.

What am wondering is how they will handle deaths in the series. In the books you had some well established main characters die off (Rick's wife, Dale, etc..) and am wondering how quickly they will be in killing off a main character like that. Especially if the main character is played by a fairly well known actor/actress.
Hello... Emmy Awards :acclaim:.

^^

It's actually a perfect scenario really. You get some known actor/actress to anchor your show and maybe they can get some attention and Emmy nods. Then they can be killed off, to do a 3 picture deal at a studio, because this comic has just about a 100% mortality rate. It's a win-win situation for a known or fading actor/actress who doesn't want to be stuck on cable.

We might get some good actors on this :banana:.

I really do hope so, The book deserves to be recreated on the screen in all its glory.

Steve's #48 cover recreation.

WD48Recreation..jpg

:takeit:

Wow Gav that is a great book :banana:

Okay so in regards to the number 8 that I picked up the other day. The LCS where I got it actually had just got in like 1-20 (yes # 1!) but there were two copies of number 8...the LCS owner was telling me about it yesterday. He said it was in his box all of about 30 minutes before someone snatched 'em up leaving my # 8 behind because the guy was buying them to fill his holes and not to hoard I guess.

At any rate, I'm certain I missed getting the early issues for dirt cheap. Makes me a little sad, but I'm at least glad they didn't go to a flipper. A flipper would've snagged my # 8 too.

Okay so in regards to the number 8 that I picked up the other day. The LCS where I got it actually had just got in like 1-20 (yes # 1!) but there were two copies of number 8...the LCS owner was telling me about it yesterday. He said it was in his box all of about 30 minutes before someone snatched 'em up leaving my # 8 behind because the guy was buying them to fill his holes and not to hoard I guess.

At any rate, I'm certain I missed getting the early issues for dirt cheap. Makes me a little sad, but I'm at least glad they didn't go to a flipper. A flipper would've snagged my # 8 too.

:cry:

Sounds like someone got a deal that day.

Oh man, I would've bawled my eyes out at missing those.