• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,452 posts in this topic

Little Q&A I found from Kirkman, there is some good info on the TV series (it will be in color):

1. Where are you from?

I was born in Lexington, KY. Lived in Cynthiana, KY from 4th grade through high school and currently live in Richmond, KY.

2. What got you started in the comic industry?

I started my own publishing company with a couple friends from high school, one of which was Tony Moore. I wrote Battle Pope and he drew it. That's how we both got started. That led to Image, SuperPatriot, Tech Jacket, Invincible and eventually The Walking Dead.

3. Who was your biggest influence?

In comics, Erik Larsen, by far. I think Savage Dragon is a shining example of comics done right. Obviously, The Walking Dead wouldn't exist without the Romero movies... so that would also count as an influence.

4. When did you originally come up with the idea of a zombie survival comic?

About a month or so before I pitched it to Image. October 2002 or so? There was another book Tony Moore and I tried to do called Dead Planet that was a science fiction, zombies in the future thing. When that got turned down, I tried to come up with something more grounded and relatable... that became The Walking Dead.

5. Who is your favorite TWD character and who do you think you would most resemble in that universe?

Sigh... Eugene? I could totally see myself lying to stay alive. I don't know. I certainly don't see myself as some strong action hero. My favorites rotate. Rick obviously, Abraham and Andrea are favorites... but don't start thinking they're safe. Tyreese was a favorite of mine right up until he died. And I really, REALLY enjoyed Carol. She was fun to write.

6. What comic is your favorite comic book read if any besides your books?

Right now I'm most excited when an issue of Kick- ships. That book is awesome. I read more TPBs than anything these days, honestly. Chew always entertains.

The Walking dead TV series:

1. Black and white or color? and which would you prefer?

Honestly, color. I want it to look like a slick, modern TV show. I don't want to give anyone an excuse not to watch it. The massive TV audience, wouldn't be receptive to black and white, I don't think. That said, I think there might be some interesting things done with the DVDs. We'll see.

2. Any actors in mind yet? (rumor has it ed neil AL BUNDY from married with children fame might be playing dale?)

I'd kill to have Ed O'Neil play Dale... but he's on Modern Family and couldn't commit to a second show, I'm sure. Casting announcments will probably start soon... so keep an ear to the ground. I wish I could give something away here but I just can't.

3. Do you know when this will hit the airwaves and the time slot they are shooting for?

AMC will make that announcment when they're ready. I don't think they'd be too happy with me spilling the beans. Also, it's still only a pilot right now, but everything looks really good for this project so far... so we'll see.

4. Will Charlie or Tony have any input on the set as far as design goes?

Aside from what's laid out in the comic, probably not. The both have full time jobs in comics andOn top of that, the added exposure will make it that much more likely for the comic to be a continued success for many years to come, so that excites me almost more than anything else. TV work is often much more than a full-time job.

5. How excited are you really about having your creations come to life?

Extremely excited. AMC is the perfect home for this and if it makes it to series I see great things on the horizon for all involved. They get what makes the comic special and are adamant that the show follows the same tone, and Darabont is Frank Darabont for Christ's sake, so we know it's in the best possible hands. I have no doubt in my mind that this show will be GREAT.

The Walking dead TV series:

1. Black and white or color? and which would you prefer?

Honestly, color. I want it to look like a slick, modern TV show. I don't want to give anyone an excuse not to watch it. The massive TV audience, wouldn't be receptive to black and white, I don't think. That said, I think there might be some interesting things done with the DVDs. We'll see.

if the show gets aired, and eventually sees dvd, it would be nice if b & w was an option to watch the episodes.

Ok, so here is something different for this thread that some of you may find interesting. It's not a comic book, but it's Walking Dead related.

I also collect G.I. Joe 3 3/4 figures and have always found customized toys to be pretty cool. I've never actually bought a customized figure before, but I often search for them on eBay to admire others work.

note: a customized figure is a toy you make yourself from parts of existing toys. Usually, people will make characters that don't already have a toy line. You usually have to remodel them various ways either with sandpaper or modeling clay, and then repaint them.

So this past week I decided to give it a try and actually make a customized figure myself. Bear in mind I've never actually tried to make a formal customized figure until this past week, so this was my rookie attempt.

I decided to make The Governor of Woodbury!!!

But as I was planning the figure, I couldn't decide which type of Governor to make. The early version of him, or the 1 arm version that attacks the prison.

So I made both. :headbang:

Believe it or not, the 1st figure came from 6 different existing figures and the 2nd figure came from 7 different figures.

At 1st I thought they were cheesy, but they are growing on me and now I think they are really cool. :whee:

Here are some pictures:

Gov1Carded.jpg

Gov1.jpg

Gov2Carded.jpg

Gov2.jpg

Thank you to everyone for their comments about The Governor of Woodbury figures I made a few weeks back. Glad to see they brought a smile to others too. :)

Well, I finally finished my Rick Grimes figure last night. I debated to give him a beard or not. In the end, I decided to go with it.

This time around, I took a few extra pictures before I put him in the package too. I tried to model some of the pictures to Walking Dead covers. In the end it made a cool collage to put on the back of the card.

He's also got a ton of accessories. He's got a shotgun, auto shotgun, 2 pistols, ax, backpack with sleeping bag, hat, riot shield, figure stand, and a chainsaw. I know Rick never used a chainsaw in the comic, but I've been playing Left 4 Dead 2 so I had to throw it in there too. I wanted to include the motorcycle too, but it just wouldn't fit in the card.

Here are some pics, plus the collage I put on the back of the card.

RickGrimesCarded.jpg

RickGrimesCardedCloseup.jpg

RickGrimesCardBack.jpg

Thats so awesome! :o

Even better than before with all the accessories and the back of the card done (thumbs u

That set of accessories look like they were made to fit in that packaging too.

EDIT:

You could package the motorcycle separate in a box like this

91381.jpg

with the window and plenty of space for Walking dead artwork all over it. Sometimes the vehicles for our toys came like that :)

Edited by dupont2005

Thats so awesome! :o

Even better than before with all the accessories and the back of the card done (thumbs u

That set of accessories look like they were made to fit in that packaging too.

EDIT:

You could package the motorcycle separate in a box like this

91381.jpg

with the window and plenty of space for Walking dead artwork all over it. Sometimes the vehicles for our toys came like that :)

Many thanks!

That's a good idea too. The Motorcycle was actually a surprise that took me off guard. I don't remember when I got that, but it's pretty old. When I held it up to the cover I was amazed how similar it is to the one Rick's riding.

Edited by maloney414

One thought after reading the last issue: If it looks to good to be true, it usually is! And judging by the expression on Rick's face at the end, you just know it aint gonna last! I doubt it will be like what happened with the Gov and the prison because that would be to repetitive, but something nasty is gonna happen!

And regarding the tv series, he may be a tad bit to old now, but Ned Beatty may have made a perfect Dale:

m-2182.jpg

One thought after reading the last issue: If it looks to good to be true, it usually is! And judging by the expression on Rick's face at the end, you just know it aint gonna last! I doubt it will be like what happened with the Gov and the prison because that would be to repetitive, but something nasty is gonna happen!

I completely agree, but I am racking my brain trying to figure out where this is headed. What is the twist going to be here? Maybe they want new people to experiment on for a cure? I have no idea, this is why I love Kirkman so much though.

I completely agree, but I am racking my brain trying to figure out where this is headed. What is the twist going to be here? Maybe they want new people to experiment on for a cure? I have no idea, this is why I love Kirkman so much though.

The cure theory is very compelling...or perhaps they experiment on the zombies themselves trying to get a cure.

I'm hoping Kirkman takes a psychological route. Are they so far gone from who they used to be that they won't be able to function in a "normal" suburban environment anymore? hm