• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,452 posts in this topic

I know I'm behind the times, but I just finished up the 7th tpb last night. Overall, I'm enjoying it. I'll say that while the art isn't bad, Adlard's work is just not my cup of tea. I find myself struggling to figure out which characters are in frame if their names aren't explicitly given. I prefer Tony's work.

The pacing overall has been great, although it helps that I'm reading them in TPB format. Everything up until the 7th trade has been well-paced to me. The 7th TPB was a bit slow, but what can you expect with a title like "The Calm Before". Ended on a nice cliffhanger which leads me to believe that the proverbial storm has arrived.

I've got a few questions/observations, but I'll put them in spoiler tags in case someone doesn't want to know. If some of you more seasoned veterans can answer the questions, I'd appreciate it. :)

- Despite the characters being out in the open for many hours a day, the zomibies don't seem to congregate around the fence like they used to (seemingly). Views from the inside looking out show mostly the occasional roamer and they don't seem to have any problems opening the gate to get out anymore (they used to need to attract the zombies away from the gate to open it). Are they still using the "stab the zombie through the fence" method on a very regular basis or are they clearing them out some other way?

- You just knew the Governor would be back. It was only a matter of time.

- Michonne tends to talk to herself when she's alone. Has this ever been explained? Upcoming or did I miss it? Maybe I should just chalk it up as a coping response to the stress.

I'll answer this one for ya. No, it hasn't been explained, but I think it will eventually be a plot point.

It's going to happen to another main character in the 9th TPB.

Plus, it happened once before. Allen swore that Donna came and talked to him about watching over their kids after she died.

WD11Page6.jpg

- This one's more a general zombie question than anything. Generally speaking, zombies will eat something until there's nothing but bones left...especially when there's a group attacking a single target. If that's the case, how are there so many zombies? Were there that many people that got bit once, got away, and turned later? I would think that when the bigger cities fell, the existing zombies would descend upon any humans and eat everything on 'em. Look at the TV show. When the horse fell in Atlanta, the zombies ganged up on it and presumably ate everything. Thoughts?

- I'm sure it's been talked about, but refresh my memory. If a person in the Walking Dead dies of non-zombie related causes, they still turn into a zombie, leading Rick to deduce that they're all already infected with whatever turns a zombie into a zombie and that death just activates it. When bitten by a zombie, is there a different virus that kills a person from the bite or is it lack of treatment?

I don't think I'm being clear. If you get bit by a zombie and leave the wound untreated (i.e. you don't cut it off quickly), you suffer for a while before turning into a zombie. Since the humans are already infected, I assume that it's a different type of infection that actually does the killing. Is that a correct assumption, or is the suffering a subsequent death/transformation caused by normal infection and would happen with or without the zombie virus? That's about as clear as mud, so I'll stop there.

A couple answers

I know I'm behind the times, but I just finished up the 7th tpb last night. Overall, I'm enjoying it. I'll say that while the art isn't bad, Adlard's work is just not my cup of tea. I find myself struggling to figure out which characters are in frame if their names aren't explicitly given. I prefer Tony's work.

The pacing overall has been great, although it helps that I'm reading them in TPB format. Everything up until the 7th trade has been well-paced to me. The 7th TPB was a bit slow, but what can you expect with a title like "The Calm Before". Ended on a nice cliffhanger which leads me to believe that the proverbial storm has arrived.

I've got a few questions/observations, but I'll put them in spoiler tags in case someone doesn't want to know. If some of you more seasoned veterans can answer the questions, I'd appreciate it. :)

- Michonne tends to talk to herself when she's alone. Has this ever been explained? Upcoming or did I miss it? Maybe I should just chalk it up as a coping response to the stress.

She and Rick talk about it. Maybe an issue in the 60's or so.

- This one's more a general zombie question than anything. Generally speaking, zombies will eat something until there's nothing but bones left...especially when there's a group attacking a single target. If that's the case, how are there so many zombies? Were there that many people that got bit once, got away, and turned later? I would think that when the bigger cities fell, the existing zombies would descend upon any humans and eat everything on 'em. Look at the TV show. When the horse fell in Atlanta, the zombies ganged up on it and presumably ate everything. Thoughts?

It is a zombie film. We have to give them creative license. If not, someone could just mention how a zombie would have a max shelf life of a couple weeks before it decomposed completely

- I'm sure it's been talked about, but refresh my memory. If a person in the Walking Dead dies of non-zombie related causes, they still turn into a zombie, leading Rick to deduce that they're all already infected with whatever turns a zombie into a zombie and that death just activates it. When bitten by a zombie, is there a different virus that kills a person from the bite or is it lack of treatment?

People aren't infected yet. The immune system can fight off the airborne disease while we live but a bite just saturates the body with the virus and it quickly becomes a zombie! Duh!

OH as for zombiies taking over ... well how do you think people would react to zombies ?... Its not like people would just go oh its a zombie ... lets shoot it in the head that will kill it! They would try to tie those infected down & figure out what is wrong with them and save them! & more & more people get attacked by this in the process...

Also People do not want to simply leave family members behind or attack them specially when you don't know what is going on with them :D!! I would think it would take people a while to figure out there is no coming back & even longer for someone to get shot in the head & die by one lol ... I do have to agree how ever that I think there would be more of a military presence left in the world than anything else ...

People aren't infected yet. The immune system can fight off the airborne disease while we live but a bite just saturates the body with the virus and it quickly becomes a zombie! Duh!

Response with spoilers:

Rick came to the conclusion that they already are infected and death is the jumping-off point for zombie-hood. I forget which death led him to this conclusion, but it was further proved when he went back for Shane who died of a bullet wound. Shane still turned into a zombie without a bite.

If I understand what you're saying, the whole zombie virus is airborne. Has this ever been explicitly stated? And you're also saying that while we live, our immune system fights off the virus but succumbs after death. Finally, you're saying that a bite from a zombie is akin to a snake bite in that the danger is from the venom (virus) rather than the bite itself?

Of course I understand that creative license is taken to get the story off the ground. It's a story about zombies, so I'm not going to stop reading because they "got the science wrong" or something. In fact, I like when storytellers leave something up to the imagination of the reader. I'm more just wondering what everyone else thinks. Maybe it's all been discussed before (I am pretty late to the party) or maybe no one cares. Either way, just wanted to know. :)

Thanks for the responses. I should probably start looking on ebay for TPB's 10 and onward as I've only got 1-9. How many are out there?

omnibus are awesome read but if you are already going with the HC I say stick with them ;) I started with the singles when this came out & then jumped on the omnibus for an ice long read! Not really worth paying for what the first one goes for these days imo

Edit , just checked my v2 & no letter pages in it ... covers, a sketch book thing... some kind of letter from kirkman talkinga bout the book.... but no letter pages ...

They could probably do a letter pages book HC by now though lol .... how evil would that be if you had a letter in it you would want to buy it!

Edited by synch

I asked for my letter to be held until the last issue...
doh!:pullhair:

:ohnoez:

:foryou:

:luhv:

should be fun to see if my letter makes it to #100 or is simply in the next book... if its in the next book I just say screw them and send it again after #99 :makepoint:doh!:roflmao:

I asked for my letter to be held until the last issue...
doh!:pullhair:

:ohnoez:

:foryou:

:luhv:

should be fun to see if my letter makes it to #100 or is simply in the next book... if its in the next book I just say screw them and send it again after #99 :makepoint:doh!:roflmao:

I've had two letters published, both were written and submitted via email the morning after a new book hit the stands. My last letter was written the day after I read issue 77 and was printed in issue 79. So if you're seriously attempting to get your letter published in issue 100 then you might want to submit it right after issue 98 is published.

I will keep that in mind :)I'm just waiting for the next book to see what happens haha! I wonder if they would print the same letter twice ... if they print mine in the next book they are clearly not reading them anyways .. It also wouldn't be hard to look at me letter & email me back telling me what you just did as well & not print it lol