• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,452 posts in this topic

Is there a reason CGC or GPA for that matter doesn't distinguish between white and black mature readers label? Or do they and I am missing it?

As per Robert Kirkman..."the white label is more rare" :rulez:

Okay, but why doesn't CGC break it out for us so we know how many of each are slabbed? They do so on #33, #34 and 50 2nd prints and #50 Larsen variant at least. I didn't look at some of the other variants and 2nd prints but assume those are documented. Why not #1? (shrug)

Because unlike the 2nd prints the #1 is not a 2nd print. There is also no Other distinguishing differences between the white and black mature audience colour. All the ads etc. Are the same.

If you're going to list WD #1 at least show the actual comic instead of some stock image.

Wait, maybe this is the double secret no mature readers version? :gossip:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Walking-Dead-1-First-Edition-/320753714580?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item4aae694594

Nice find lol, (thumbs u

I argued with a seller a few months ago using a stock image. I kept asking for a pic and he kept saying I have a pic on the listing. I replied saying if that's his pic then he did not have a 1st print. This went on and on with me stating I could prove his listing was not the same pic as the one he eventually sent me. He conceded eventually claiming a mixup. Fun times. lol

Is there a reason CGC or GPA for that matter doesn't distinguish between white and black mature readers label? Or do they and I am missing it?

Okay, but why doesn't CGC break it out for us so we know how many of each are slabbed? They do so on #33, #34 and 50 2nd prints and #50 Larsen variant at least. I didn't look at some of the other variants and 2nd prints but assume those are documented. Why not #1? (shrug)

Because when they started slabbing WD #1's they probably didn't know there were 2 versions.

CGC typically notes things on their label based on the information printed on the indica inside the comic. Since there is no mention of the white version being a 2nd print, combined with the way the books were distributed there was no way for them to know there were 2 versions when the 1st WD #1's were graded. Furthermore, adding it to the label now would only cause confusion and inconsistencies.

For those interested in how it happened, read on.

This info comes directly from Robert Kirkman himself:

The "mature readers" was originally intended to have white letters with a black border. The printing process lays down the black color first and then the white on top creating the effect.

During the printing phase somehow the process was reversed and the white was printed 1st and the black then subsequently covered up the white completely.

They saw the mistake on some of the printed books. Stopped printing. Fixed it, and then continued printing the books with the white logo. (Those of you with the white version, if you look you'll see a black border around the letters.)

The books were shipped out to stores as they were printed. Therefore your store got copies that all looked the same. So no one knew there was a "variant." It wasn't until much later when the series got popular collectors started to notice the 2 versions online in auctions.

I want to see larger pics of your Adlard sketches in your signature bro :hi:

Because when they started slabbing WD #1's they probably didn't know there were 2 versions.

CGC typically notes things on their label based on the information printed on the indica inside the comic. Since there is no mention of the white version being a 2nd print, combined with the way the books were distributed there was no way for them to know there were 2 versions when the 1st WD #1's were graded. Furthermore, adding it to the label now would only cause confusion and inconsistencies.

For those interested in how it happened, read on.

This info comes directly from Robert Kirkman himself:

The "mature readers" was originally intended to have white letters with a black border. The printing process lays down the black color first and then the white on top creating the effect.

During the printing phase somehow the process was reversed and the white was printed 1st and the black then subsequently covered up the white completely.

They saw the mistake on some of the printed books. Stopped printing. Fixed it, and then continued printing the books with the white logo. (Those of you with the white version, if you look you'll see a black border around the letters.)

The books were shipped out to stores as they were printed. Therefore your store got copies that all looked the same. So no one knew there was a "variant." It wasn't until much later when the series got popular collectors started to notice the 2 versions online in auctions.

I sooooooo want to join this discussion, but I haven't read an issue in nearly a year and a half... I cannot believe I have held out this long, but that's what you get when you prefer the TPB route... :P

It's my favourite series. So much so I stopped buying the floppies, because I hated the monthly wait. Instead I've chosen a 1+ year lag and then buy TPBs so I can sit down and immerse myself in an entire story arc at once.

So the black label is actually a printing error, yay :banana: Price just doubled :idea:

So the black label is actually a printing error, yay :banana: Price just doubled :idea:

doh!:wishluck::gossip::takeit:

They have official Walking Dead Halloween costumes at K-Mart(the original one not the Sears hybrid- we still have a couple in the state). I saw a sheriff Rick Grimes one and a basic zombie one. What's funny is they even have that little girl zombie one in pink from the pilot. lol

Cool stuff!

They have official Walking Dead Halloween costumes at K-Mart(the original one not the Sears hybrid- we still have a couple in the state). I saw a sheriff Rick Grimes one and a basic zombie one. What's funny is they even have that little girl zombie one in pink from the pilot. lol

Cool stuff!

:applause: Nice!

When does Season 2 start?????