• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,452 posts in this topic

All that I know is that all of those issues tend to sell for more (on Ebay) than others around them. Maybe 48 being the climax of a major storyline had a higher print run and 50 being an "anniversary" issue had one too and so 49's was just lower than those two?

I've always been a little surprised that 43 (nice Governor cover) or 53 (first Abraham) don't sell for more. Not sure why non-27, 61 and 63 above are more in demand but they are.

(shrug)

#49 = it's the beginning of a new storyline.

#79 = it's the beginning of a new storyline.

People seem to be under the misconception that the print runs for individual issues of modern monthlies varies wildly - they don't. For a title like Walking Dead - which has become more & more popular over the years - the size of the print run is on a slow, upward curve with each individual issue (usually) having a slightly larger print run than the one before. The exception, as I mentioned previously, is anniversary issues where they usually bump the print run up a bit. But for the next issue after that, the print run is back on the same curve.

Here's a list of print runs of some of the WD issues we're talking about:

WD #47 = 22,605

WD #48 = 22,461

WD #49 = 23,095

WD #50 = 27,685 <-- the anniversary issue bump

WD #51 = 23,109

WD #52 = 23,620

WD #77 = 27,448

WD #78 = 27,947

WD #79 = 28,971

WD #80 = 29,526

I had seen that trend on print runs previously that last time I'd looked, up to around issue 30 or 40 so I know what you mean BUT then what really explains that discrepancy in prices for particular issues? Feeding frenzy? Mob rules?

You don't see every other time a new storyline starts so I don't think that's it. Maybe it's delicate covers? 49 is pretty dark and maybe damages easily? 79 you have to really look at what with all the small snowflakes and all.

But then there is no uptick for 37 or 39 or 85 regular, other dark covers though 85 regular may have been overproduced due to Ketner variant?

The only clear trend I've seen is that 19, 49 and 79 are 30 issues apart so I'm pre-ordering a zillion copies of 109 as fast as I can. :devil:

#49 was the beginning of the new storyline after the massive kill-off that concluded with issue #48 - as such, it was marketed as a jumping-on-point for new readers and saw brisk sales when it was released.

#79 was the first issue after volume 13 of the trade paperbacks - people who bought the trade paperback, and couldn't wait for volume 14 to come out, snatched up issue #79 in droves. If you look at ebay, realized prices for issue #79 have fallen drastically since volume 14 came out.

That's all it is, really - neither of those issues suffer from any sort of production defect that makes them hard in 9.8.

I think #85 will be a hard one to get ... all that black ...

After checking my local stores I went ahead and bought my 9.8 copy from Dre. Stupid black covers.

Think again. 10 copies here. ;)

Branget I just meant I knew I wouldn't be able to find any of them around my local stores is all. So instead of submitting my own and hoping for the best I just went ahead and bought one. Which I normally don't have to do.

Branget I just meant I knew I wouldn't be able to find any of them around my local stores is all. So instead of submitting my own and hoping for the best I just went ahead and bought one. Which I normally don't have to do.

I should have quoted better. I promote Dre and his 9.8 service all the time. Guaranteed 9.8 muff said. I was responding to Synch stating he thought the black cover would be tough. Of the 10 I sent there were 10 9.8's while the variant was 8/10.

I should have quoted better. I promote Dre and his 9.8 service all the time. Guaranteed 9.8 muff said. I was responding to Synch stating he thought the black cover would be tough. Of the 10 I sent there were 10 9.8's while the variant was 8/10.

Why would you slab 10 copies of issue 85? I don't remember anything particularly memorable with that issue. Do you slab that many of every issue? ...If you don't mind me asking.

Why would you slab 10 copies of issue 85? I don't remember anything particularly memorable with that issue. Do you slab that many of every issue? ...If you don't mind me asking.

I usually slab more of each issue. :)

The variant was not limited. Certainly down the road any black cover is tough.

Not if 95% of the print run is (carefully) read once and then immediately bagged/boarded :whistle:

lol

Let me rephrase. Certainly over time any black cover is tougher then most other coloured covers. :sumo:

Because they sell? (shrug)
I am honestly amazed that they sell. I believe you when you say they do but buying TWD 85 for such a premium is :screwy:. It is still a very new book and should be relatively easy to find in 9.8. I dunno. It just seems like label chasing has gone on steroids.