• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,452 posts in this topic

Well I thought about keeping the books that had minor to significant death. That turned out to be too much. I basically know which books to keep after #48 but it's #1 through #48 that's giving me a headache. Again I'm looking at which books would hold value after the show and series is done. What about any of the variants besides #50?

Variants that will hold value, not sure, however the #33 2nd print (blue cover) goes for a lot, was selling for ~$70 in April to now selling for over $150, you can see the history here.

Other than that there weren't many variants at all before #50, so you're best bet are the keys, 1-3, 6 (though Shane wasn't really a big player in the comic series), 19, 27, 48. I personally feel all those will hold value even after the show ends. Those will always be the books people remember I feel.

Issue 27 also has an error copy out there (though I've never seen it on ebay in the last 3 months) whereas the first couple of pages and last couple of pages are duplicated, thus rendering the story incomplete for that issue. If you happen to have that, I have no idea how much that would go for, but I'm sure there would be people out there willing to pay a premium for it, again, I've been on ebay every single day for 3 months now and have yet to see it get listed or even see anyone here on the boards with it.

Edited by roastedbagel

What about any of the governor series? 43 through 47? I actually have all the variants but I'm only going to keep a few. Mainly the 50 Larsen variant, 94 sketch, and maybe the birthday cake variant. Also didn't know about the birth of Rick's daughter or the issue where Glen and Maggie get married.

Issue 27 also has an error copy out there (though I've never seen it on ebay in the last 3 months) whereas the first couple of pages and last couple of pages are duplicated, thus rendering the story incomplete for that issue. If you happen to have that, I have no idea how much that would go for, but I'm sure there would be people out there willing to pay a premium for it, again, I've been on ebay every single day for 3 months now and have yet to see it get listed or even see anyone here on the boards with it.

There is an auction for the corrected copy and error copy, on E-Bay, right now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WALKING-DEAD-27-1ST-GOVERNOR-MISPRINT-ERROR-COPY-AND-CORRECTED-EDITION-/180908355905?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item2a1efa7141

There is an auction for the corrected copy and error copy, on E-Bay, right now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WALKING-DEAD-27-1ST-GOVERNOR-MISPRINT-ERROR-COPY-AND-CORRECTED-EDITION-/180908355905?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item2a1efa7141

he better throw in a few more copies

What about any of the governor series? 43 through 47? I actually have all the variants but I'm only going to keep a few. Mainly the 50 Larsen variant, 94 sketch, and maybe the birthday cake variant. Also didn't know about the birth of Rick's daughter or the issue where Glen and Maggie get married.

My personal opinion is to get as many copies of 48 as you can. By comparison to the other keys price is still soft.

1s should not deflate for at least a year. 19 may or may not gain value depending on how well Michonne goes over on TV.

I was out buying up all the TWD I could get my hands on a year ago. Right now I probably have less than forty left and most of those are above issue 90.

So I have a particular question for some of you WD fanatics. If you could add any issues to your collection what would it be? What key issues would you have to have if you were adding WD books to collection for good. Don't say "All of them". Just what you would keep as "key" books in the series and holding their value for the long haul. :)

I recently sold all of my 9.9's but kept #48 signed by Kirkman and the 75 cover swipe signed by the cast.

I have issues 1-40 in 9.6-9.8 (maybe 9.9 if im lucky) picked up new by myself :whee:

The question is trade them for some silver age, get them slabbed or keep them :pullhair:

I'm selling Silver and Gold to buy WD :cloud9:

As soon as my Marvel #1 sells, it is game on :devil:

Jim

That a boy! :headbang:

Key IMO: 1, 2, 19, 27, 33, 48, 53(if you think abrahm is important). Then there's probably not much after that. The key's after that are 61 which is only important cause of Chew preview and then the variants like 81 and 94 which have like 200 copies.

I still think 3, 7, and 10 are all undervalued and should be keys. Here is MY list. Than I also think there is a 2nd tier and variant list after this as I personally also feel several of those are really important as well.

1st tier

2nd tier

Variants

33 Blue

50 Larsen Superhero

81 Comics Pro

Long Beach Photo (Walking dead premiere)

94 Sketch

Key IMO: 1, 2, 19, 27, 33, 48, 53(if you think abrahm is important). Then there's probably not much after that. The key's after that are 61 which is only important cause of Chew preview and then the variants like 81 and 94 which have like 200 copies.
I kinda thought 43 through 48 might be keys just due to the whole governor/prison sequence. What about the death of Morgan/Douglas?

Also, the reason I'm asking about this is I have all the keys from the series(or pretty much). I need to clear out space and I'm only going to keep about 20 to 30 books. Just trying to get a base of what I should keep. I thought about buying a few #1's and #19's or something along those lines. Even thought about selling my silver age keys to fund it. (Avengers #4, TMNT #1, and Hulk 181). :)

In that case keep #61 and 63 as well. #92 is the first appearance of Jesus who in my opinion is key and he could last a really long time and become a key person later on, though a friend disagrees with that. #3 is a very desirable issue as well due to its lower print run.

Let's not forget 91 which features his first appearance (cameo).

CGC notates 92 as his first full appearance...

I like campbelljh3 list too. I just didn't include 61 and 92 so much as they aren't really key to the walking dead series, just as previews for other popular comics.

I think the governor arc 43-48 are some of the most exciting comics in the series since there is so much chaos and death, but most people think key's are something major happening or introduction/death of a character.

But if you search on eBay for 'key issue', I think you'll find that issues 1-99 are all " KEY ISSUE!" :facepalm:

Dude I'm right there with you, when #91 came out, I was like "gotta stock up on this issue, this guy will be key", then I soon starting realizing that everyone on ebay and CGC were considering #92 his first appearance...I was like "huh? I saw him in #91...

1st tier

Just curious, but what makes #7 and #10 key?

Edited by roastedbagel

I like campbelljh3 list too. I just didn't include 61 and 92 so much as they aren't really key to the walking dead series, just as previews for other popular comics.

I think the governor arc 43-48 are some of the most exciting comics in the series since there is so much chaos and death, but most people think key's are something major happening or introduction/death of a character.

But if you search on eBay for 'key issue', I think you'll find that issues 1-99 are all " KEY ISSUE!" :facepalm:

People are breaking 92 out because of the first full appearance of Paul 'Jesus' Monroe, not because of the Fatale preview. Of course it's still TBD if he's a really important character, but a lot of people are gambling that he will be.

Dude I'm right there with you, when #91 came out, I was like "gotta stock up on this issue, this guy will be key", then I soon starting realizing that everyone on ebay and CGC were considering #92 his first appearance...I was like "huh? I saw him in #91...

1st tier

Just curious, but what makes #7 and #10 key?

7 is the first appearance of Tyreese.

10 is the first appearance of... Hershel's family (Maggie and Billy, Arnold, Lacy, and the twins), and Patricia. - I think!

For actual real keys there are six, #1, 2, 19, 27, 48 and 61 are proven examples. There are second tier books like 33, 45-48, 69, and 93 which I personally covet very highly, that may or may not be high on other peoples want lists. The 93 could possibly join the big six someday but that remains just speculation at this point.

There are only a hundred books, why not just complete that goal that you started on, don't worry about duplicate keys, why not put together a collection you can be proud of? :foryou:

And then hoard copies of #1 as they come up, if you want to "invest" as well.

Jim