• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,452 posts in this topic

So a Walking Dead 9.6 sold for 1,300 on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Walking-Dead-1-CGC-graded-9-6-Robert-Kirkman-Black-MC-label-/261068215802?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item3cc8e0d5fa

I thought that was news. I remember buying my last 9.8 for 1,250 just a few months ago. Wow this book is banannas.

And you just happen to have one for sale in the selling fourms. (thumbs u

Ha. I was thinking the same thing. ;)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Walking-Dead-1-CGC-graded-9-6-Robert-Kirkman-Black-MC-label-/261068215802?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item3cc8e0d5fa

I thought that was news. I remember buying my last 9.8 for 1,250 just a few months ago. Wow this book is banannas.

:ohnoez::ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez:

So would it be wrong of me to burn a #19 CGC 9.6 ? 5th time now subbing a #19 and I keep getting 9.6s on everyone of them.

Gonna have to crack and resub maybe get it pressed in between. This dang issue though just doesn't love me. :(

Got 9.8s though on the others including a 27, 54, 61 and 94 B&W Image Expo Variant which I guess I should be happy about, but I am not damn 19......

lol

Try #2

#4 eluded me for a long time but not a problem anymore. 80 is a pain.

Not for all of us.... :whee:

You have no problem with 2,4 or 80?

I've also seen situations where CGC has double charged my LCS's credit card inadvertently, they point it out and get soft grades on that submission.

I figured this little gem shouldn't get lost in the silly banter.

And, no, Nico, they don't.

I sure hope not, but if you read Kong's post ... you never know. I doubt seriously that anyone would do anything intentionally, but we all do things subconsciously that we don't mean to. My LCS owner could be bsing me too ... I'll never know. I've had an experience where it appeared that one of my books was damaged (dropped on it corner) and that book got a 9.6 when it didn't deserve a 9.2. It is a VERY subjective art and I hope that soon there is a computer program that generates the grade with lazer precision.

And, again, we do know.

Once the book is sitting in front of a CGC grader, it's in a generic mylar with a barcode as its only identifier. Unless it's an absolutely unique book that could only be owned by one individual in the entire world, the CGC grader has no clue as to who the owner is.

If your LCS owner says otherwise, he's full of *spoon*.

I don't think it needs to be that extreme. ;)

No matter how good the system, graders and dealers are people. Many of them know each other. If dealer A says I'm submitting a high grade Avengers #4 this weekend for onsite grading, or a run of 100 issues of bronze ASM, or a bunch of pre-code horror books, or a copper age independent, or anything unlikely to be submitted by the masses that weekend. The graders will know who's books they are grading. To not believe this is naive. 2c

On the other hand, speculating that it actually effects the grades given is also unsubstantiated and people just making accusations. You can't prove it, and it's often someone who is unhappy with their own grades complaining about the possible favortism shown to others.

There seems to be more speculation about this topic with older mid-grade books than moderns. Most of the people in this thread are modern speculators and know how to spot a high grade comic in the 9.6/9.8 range. But the difference between a 5.0 and a 6.0 comic with several defects either way is not so clear cut. This could be a significant price difference with older books. The mid-grade range is where there is more people claiming "gift" grades for certain people. But again you can't prove anything.

In short, don't hate the player, hate the game....

Although that is quite true, I think a $1300 9.6 sale is worthy of a discussion, and at least based on fact. Unlike what a grader does or does not see, that really doesn't pertain to WD at all.

Jim

No matter how good the system, graders and dealers are people. Many of them know each other. If dealer A says I'm submitting a high grade Avengers #4 this weekend for onsite grading, or a run of 100 issues of bronze ASM, or a bunch of pre-code horror books, or a copper age independent, or anything unlikely to be submitted by the masses that weekend. The graders will know who's books they are grading. To not believe this is naive. 2c

It does, actually.

There's not just one person grading the books, so in your hypothetical scenario above Dealer A would have to inform multiple CGC graders and the header grader as well, and they'd then have to collude in order to ensure that Dealer A gets the gift grades.

The better question is why CGC would ever do this? Their entire business model is built up around their reputation for impartiality - if anyone was able to secure proof of this not being the case, CGC's reputation would be in the toilet and I'm also fairly certain that people would have the basis for a rather hefty class action lawsuit.

That's why I find the idea of CGC "rewarding" frequent or high volume submitters ridiculous - there's no significant upside for CGC in doing so, whereas they have everything to loose if it was ever exposed.

It does, actually.

There's not just one person grading the books, so in your hypothetical scenario above Dealer A would have to inform multiple CGC graders and the header grader as well, and they'd then have to collude in order to ensure that Dealer A gets the gift grades.

I think we should just agree to disagree about how easy or hard it is for people to talk to each other. We'll just go in circles. ;)

The better question is why CGC would ever do this? Their entire business model is built up around their reputation for impartiality - if anyone was able to secure proof of this not being the case, CGC's reputation would be in the toilet and I'm also fairly certain that people would have the basis for a rather hefty class action lawsuit.

That's why I find the idea of CGC "rewarding" frequent or high volume submitters ridiculous - there's no significant upside for CGC in doing so, whereas they have everything to loose if it was ever exposed.

I agree. I certainly wouldn't if I was in charge. And there is NO proof, just people speculating.

As to your question of "why," there is one popular rumor, and I stress RUMOR for onsite grading. Softer grades on Friday to dealers equals higher submissions on Saturday.

I do know that across the street in the sports card market it sures does look like gift grades exist when it comes to certain high volume submitters.

I have never really seen anything though that leads me to believe CGC has EVER done this.

It does, actually.

I think we should just agree to disagree about how easy or hard it is for people to talk to each other. We'll just go in circles. ;)

I agree. I certainly wouldn't if I was in charge. And there is NO proof, just people speculating.

As to your question of "why," there is one popular rumor, and I stress RUMOR for onsite grading. Softer grades on Friday to dealers equals higher submissions on Saturday.

And just like the other "rumors", this one doesn't make sense either.

CGC's cut-off for blue labels at a show where they do on-site grading is usually Saturday morning - every dealer I know submits their books as early as possible to beat this cut-off and to get the books back so they can actually sell them during the show :gossip:

It used to make a lot of sense.

If your debating subbing a high dollar mid-grade book, the pulse of the graders could be a factor. The cost/risk is greater on the dealers end since the fees are higher for these types of books. If they are grading softer, it may be worthwhile to submit that book you were on the fence about.

In fact, some of the dealers I've talked to still say they submit early not just to sell the books, but because of the rumor above. Since part 2 of that rumor was that they tighten up on Saturday.

If your debating subbing a high dollar mid-grade book, the pulse of the graders could be a factor. The cost/risk is greater on the dealers end since the fees are higher for these types of books. If they are grading softer, it may be worthwhile to submit that book you were on the fence about.

In fact, some of the dealers I've talked to still say they submit early not just to sell the books, but because of the rumor above. Since part 2 of that rumor was that they tighten up on Saturday.

If the rumor is that CGC tightens up the grades on Saturday, why would submissions increase on Saturday?

That Spawn #222 issue comes out next week with the cover that looks like WD #1. There's a sketch cover of it as well apparently. Anyone see a picture of that?

Haven't heard of the sketch one, but I heard about the ASM 316 swipe for Spawn 222. Can't wait to see the sketch...next week you say?

Jerome

If the rumor is that CGC tightens up the grades on Saturday, why would submissions increase on Saturday?

Originally, this rumor hadn't made the rounds. People just saw books coming back with generous grades. They didn't realize it was possible gift grades were being given out, and they thought the batch of graders were simply easier on books. That would increase Saturday submissions.

AGAIN, this is just a common rumor believed to be true by people who submit far more than I do. Nothing has ever been proven.

It's a good topic to discuss, but we've derailed from WD. I'll be happy to discuss more if you want through PM.

Originally, this rumor hadn't made the rounds. People just saw books coming back with generous grades. They didn't realize it was possible gift grades were being given out, and they thought the batch of graders were simply easier on books. That would increase Saturday submissions.

AGAIN, this is just a common rumor believed to be true by people who submit far more than I do. Nothing has ever been proven.

It's a good topic to discuss, but we've derailed from WD. I'll be happy to discuss more if you want through PM.

When it comes to on-site grading, dealers submit books early to see how the grading for any given show is going to be - about 3-4 years ago at WW Chicago, for instance, the grades were fairly loose across the board, and a lot of people were doing extra submissions Friday and Saturday morning to take advantage of this.

The year after that it was the other way around - everyone was getting hammered on their early submissions which resulted in a clear decrease in later submissions.

This isn't a rumor; it's like that for every single show that offers on-site grading - there's a bit of "testing the waters" going on in the beginning which influences the total number of submissions.

This, however, has absolutely nothing to do with the unfounded rumor of individuals receiving "gift grades" on just their books - if CGC's grading is loose at a show, it affects everyone who's submitting books (much like when CGC is going through a tight cycle for books graded at CGC HQ and everyone gets hammered).

Why do we think that's an unpublished cover for issue 60? I find it hard to believe that Tony would do one random cover three years later...and that it would go unpublished. Maybe I am just jaded, but my gut says it's just a pinup that's being labeled as an "unpublished cover" in order to get a higher price.