• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,452 posts in this topic

Great you just gave Charlie Adlard his next cover - he will draw Rick on the hill and then it will be on splashpage for 6 grand. :sumo:

You meant a quick stick figure of Rick (with an arrow and "Rick" pointing to it) taped onto a photocopy, then photocopied again to make it look dark and mysterious.

Great you just gave Charlie Adlard his next cover - he will draw Rick on the hill and then it will be on splashpage for 6 grand. :sumo:

You meant a quick stick figure of Rick (with an arrow and "Rick" pointing to it) taped onto a photocopy, then photocopied again to make it look dark and mysterious.

I am gonna blind bid $9 K folks. $1 K for every minute of hard work put into this new amazing cover.

:ohnoez:

lol

You guys are brutal.

You know it's not that far from the truth when even your own rep describes some of your latest work as "marginal"

lol

You guys are brutal.

You know it's not that far from the truth when even your own rep describes some of your latest work as "marginal"

Calling them marginal was the nicest way of putting it also.

Slow the press down there CGCWorld. I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't re-interpret what I am saying to suit how you feel about Charlie's art.

When I said "marginal covers" I meant they are ones without main characters or zombie-less covers as far as price and how collector's would view them. Obviously covers with Michonne, Rick, Andrea fighting a bunch of zombies is going to be considered a "better" cover and valued more than ones with random bad guys on them with no heads.

You guys also need to realize that while Charlie does come up with his own layout and vision on a lot of covers, some things are directed by Robert. A series of covers that are all tied together aka the 97-99 reprints is something Robert provided input on as well as the something to fear covers. You'll see unpublished pieces from time to time, and sometimes it is because Robert changes direction on what he'd like to see on the cover.

I LOVE Charlie's work, and not just because I'm his art dealer. I've been a fan of the book probably as long as most anyone else here. I know there is a huge group of Tony vs Charlie guys on CGC, and that is your opinion. I'd take Charlie all day, but that's my opinion and style of artists I like.

I think it is pretty crappy to spew venom and take shots at an artist constantly as nothing good comes from it, but hey I guess you'll say I'm biased because I rep Charlie but if Robert thought he was doing a bad job, he would have replaced him years ago... call me crazy.

Mark Hay

Splash Page Comic Art

lol

You guys are brutal.

I'll see your :popcorn:

And raise you a :popcorn::ohnoez:

And yes Mark, you are biased but that doesn't mean you're wrong. Personally I prefer the detail in Tony's art. 2c

I think it is pretty crappy to spew venom and take shots at an artist constantly as nothing good comes from it, but hey I guess you'll say I'm biased because I rep Charlie but if Robert thought he was doing a bad job, he would have replaced him years ago... call me crazy.

I know people like to express their opinion but art is so subjective...

To say its venom isn't really fair Mark - we are poking fun, like school-kids -- take it with a grain of salt...All of us here still love Mr. Adlard's work, as evinced by our many, many purchases on your site.

I have respect for Mr. Adlard - his work is at times, brilliant - unfortunately, in the same breath, his work is also at times barely apprentice level...while the cause of that disparity may be his rushed schedule or what have you - for lack of a better phrase, it is what it is..

I think we can call Charlie out for obvious lack of detail/rushed art, but as for the image we know his style and either accept it or don't - the rest is really Kirkman's call.

Personally I think Charlie's Work on the series from 7 - 48 was excellent :cloud9:, 49 - 70 was great (thumbs u and 71 - now is inconsistent, rushed, and has a whole layer taken out of the finished product :(

All one needs to do is look at the double page splash of rick punching Tyreese, or the double page all zombie spread in issue 28 and then compare it to more recent work to see where something went wrong.

I mean, all in all I think it's pretty remarkable that someone can draw the same characters in the same comic book for 8 years and stay as consistent as he has, even if it's gone a little sour. I can't shame him for doing an excellent job earlier on.

Edited by Phillip

You can search this entire thread or anywhere else, and I've never said anything negative of Mr. Adlards work, and would never do so. Not my style, as a matter of fact I love his work so much I offered months ago to purchase the entire book (OA from issue #100) but was told you weren't sure what type of avenue you were going to use to sell it.

Jim

I think that's a little high based solely on the quantity on eBay. It's rare to find more than one or two listed at a time. Regardless of the print run, I think condition is more rare on that book. I haven't seen many listed in NM condition. If that guy from that link thinks that book is a 9.6, he's on crack.

And as in all my posts, I remind you that I am completely talking out of my and do not actually have facts to back up anything I'm saying.

I think that's a little high based solely on the quantity on eBay. It's rare to find more than one or two listed at a time. Regardless of the print run, I think condition is more rare on that book. I haven't seen many listed in NM condition. If that guy from that link thinks that book is a 9.6, he's on crack.

And as in all my posts, I remind you that I am completely talking out of my and do not actually have facts to back up anything I'm saying.

Hence the quote at the bottom of my posts as well...