• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,452 posts in this topic

Finally decided to grade my #33 Blue 2nd Print and got confirmation today that it is a 9.8 :cloud9: It took me forever searching for a nice one of these! Sooo HAPPY

:applause: I'm very jealous!

+1 I think mine is a 9.4.

Gee, that's a shocker.

Thats fricking hilarious!

:foryou:

This doesn't necessarily apply to you John but yours is up so I wanna ask -

Whats the rule about asking an artist to sign in an area non-central to the piece...If John wanted to ever sell, do you think the value would go down a bit since it is personalized and there wouldn't really be a way to avoid his name being in the art..

Sorry John - nothing against your work, just since yours is up I wanted to ask..

In this case it's kind of the point. In general I would imagine it's up to the artist. Never hurts to ask. In my limited experience "resale value" as a motivation for the request probably won't get you your desired result. ;)

A few years ago, when I got out of the hobby, I sold a personalized Tony Moore zombie Rick sketch I had for years for $400 (which was super strong at the time). The bidders didn't seem to mind my name.

Tony's auctions for these commissioned pieces have language in them that the art will be personalized with no exceptions. Obviously they are trying to discourage the reselling of these pieces which sucks for the buyer IMO. Even if I weren't planning on selling now it I'd want the option to do so later or to leave it for someone when I croak. I'd prefer them to write FU or something than my name.

Edit - as a buyer it would be a huge detriment to have someone else's name on some art I was considering purchase of.

Edited by KONG

lol - I think it takes away from the art when the sig is very large like that..something smaller and in the corner is much better - because then, I can choose to frame it with a matte over the sig or not..

Also TM is inconsistent with his sigs - sometimes he signs very large and in right in the mix of the art, and sometimes he signs very small in the corners...

:news: You could just black it out. :eyeroll:

Well I see the 2nd place bidder from eBay was also a boardie as well. We must have similar tastes in what we wanted. :insane:

Just got it done at the Stan Lee ComicKaze show in LA this weekend.

I am pretty happy with this Tony Moore personalized sketch.

001-4.jpg

Well I see the 2nd place bidder from eBay was also a boardie as well. We must have similar tastes in what we wanted. :insane:

001-4.jpg

very nice!! didnt realize TM ebay auctions had runner up winners for a commission. is that always the case?

lol - I think it takes away from the art when the sig is very large like that..something smaller and in the corner is much better - because then, I can choose to frame it with a matte over the sig or not..

Also TM is inconsistent with his sigs - sometimes he signs very large and in right in the mix of the art, and sometimes he signs very small in the corners...

I agree completely from an aesthetic point of view. I think what about my partner or child if I plan on giving it to them in the future. I just think it would look more timeless without my name on it.

I know this has been brought up before but what other books should I get in to? I am a half fan / collector so I want it to be an enjoyable read but also investment potential.

I think Y the last Man and Chew have been mentioned here before, anything else?

The Fanboys Vs Zonbies Issue 6 cover was a great tribute to TWD #19...

Personally I started back into this hobby with Berserk (Dark Horse translated Manga). Then went to TWD and then it expanded exponentially from there. I have about 15 total titles on my pull. If you are a fan of Robert Kirkman's writing Invincible may well be right up your ally. It is probably one of the best Super Hero books on the market IMO. Just get all the Trade backs and you will see what I mean. Also if you are looking for a bargain on the trade backs check the skybound website. They offer pretty good discounts on all trade backs.

PS: Ryan Ottley and Cory Walker artwork in the Invincible series is amazing!

Edited by Colicab

I agree completely from an aesthetic point of view. I think what about my partner or child if I plan on giving it to them in the future. I just think it would look more timeless without my name on it.

I'm torn...

I understand a remark on a commission or a sketch, but not on a published piece. I don't think the sig on that art is that detracting. ..

001-4.jpg

very nice!! didnt realize TM ebay auctions had runner up winners for a commission. is that always the case?

It is my understanding that timing was too tight to run 2 auctions so the runner up got a 2nd chance offer. It is listed as a Q&A on the eBay listing.

It also saves TM a nice amount in fees by not running two auctions.

Plus it makes the 1 auction more focused, so more people bid on 1 rather than on 2 running at the same time...

It saves him exactly zero dollars and zero cents. lol

Also the 2 auctions did not run at the same time. (thumbs u

If he used a runner up as a 2nd purchase it did save him the time and money of not running a 2nd auction..at least that's how it looks..

It also let him have 1 auction for his commission up instead of two...so the auctions weren't competing for bids as they would if two were up at the same time..