• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,452 posts in this topic

i am consistently amazed at the numbers of people that hate this book and/or the show and spend their time bashing it and those that do care for it/them
I thinks its envy and jealousy rather than hate. Most bashes about the bubble bursting don't own a copy of #1, only wish they did

i am consistently amazed at the numbers of people that hate this book and/or the show and spend their time bashing it and those that do care for it/them
I thinks its envy and jealousy rather than hate. Most bashes about the bubble bursting don't own a copy of #1, only wish they did

+1

I bash it. Right now it just isn't as good as it was in the past. If enough people bash it, maybe we can force Kirkman to step up and give the comic its due. Honestly, it just feels like it is low priority for him.

TWD was one of the best reads ever. Now it is pretty pedestrian.

That being said, the show is getting better and it inspired me to update my CAF!

http://qurls.com?i=52963

Nice collection - I like the choice of pages.

I'm in a similar boat, I read 1-48 and was very enthusiastic about the series, but these days I'm enjoying the TV show a lot more (I trailed off the book in the 70s) and it's been fun. Still enjoy art from the series, there are some great pieces scattered throughout the run.

I think Kirkman's been back on his game since the 'A Larger World' arc. The introduction of the Hilltop, building to the confilct with Negan has been pretty solid.

I will admit that the book was pretty bland from issue 49 up to the end of 'No Way Out.'

Why didn't Rick's horse come back as a zombie horse? Do animals turn into zombies? Do the zombies just bite or do they eat complete people? Just a few of my new WD questions, now that I have begun to watch season 3. Thanks

Animals do not come back as zombies in Walking Dead. I'd say if there were enough, i.e herd, then they would probably devour a person pretty completely. They are constantly trying to eat, not just bite ;)

I think Kirkman's been back on his game since the 'A Larger World' arc. The introduction of the Hilltop, building to the confilct with Negan has been pretty solid.

I will admit that the book was pretty bland from issue 49 up to the end of 'No Way Out.'

I thought that the story was great up until Alexandria, but when I really stopped to think about it, post 48 walking dead really didn't have the same impact because, in my opinion, Adlard wound down, not Kirkman. After the prison there was:

- Rick on the phone

- Intro of Abe, Eugene, and Rosita

- Maggie's suicide

- Rick, Abe and Carl go back to Rick's town and get Morgan

- The herd

- The twins fiasco

- The cannibals (which had one of the best arc climaxes, I think)

- Eugene is a fake

- Alexandria

- Rick & Jessie's husband's brawl

- The bandits showed up

- Gunfire led to heard overrunning Alexandria (no way out)

- Lull with decent character development

- Intro Jesus/Hilltop

- Intro Saviors/ Neagan

So really, all of this stuff happened in the same amount of time that the initial group was at the prison.

And it's no secret that Adlard's best work on the series was from the teens to mid thirties. From there to the sixties it was consistently good, but not quite the same. From there it's been more on the inconsistent side. Look at the zombies from the teens to thirties (especially the awesome dbl page spread from issue 29) and then look at the zombie that the dude from the hilltop speared a few issues ago, and it's easy to see a HUGE difference in quality.

I the end though, the Walking Dead continues to be my favorite series - and that's because it never really bored me.

Edited by Phillip

- The cannibals (which had one of the best arc climaxes, I think)

really with you on this... the hunters arc had me hook line and sinker

and then look at the zombie that the dude from the hilltop speared a few issues ago, and it's easy to see a HUGE difference in quality.

... again could not have agreed more.... the first time around....not as bad as a I remebered looking at it again. ultimately I do prefer the earlier art.... and that's not having a bash.

ofc without digital inks...

Walkind%20Dead%20iss%20101%20pg%2010.jpg

Walkind%20Dead%20iss%20101%20pg%2011.jpg

even back in the earlies there were a couple that didn't have the same quality as others...

6v2lO.png

still there was a lot more brilliant zombie art

9cNR0.jpg

Phil I disagree about characterizing Adlard's work in segments like that.

Adlard did some fantastic work in recent issues also. Notably, the pages from issues 80-85 are GREAT. Lots of nice zombie action cuts. (I am a bit biased, as I happen to own a lot of them lol)

Adlard has always been masterful with his shadowing and setting the mood with his use of light.

Whenever you see Adlard fail as an artist, its either because he was rushed, or he messed up the perspectives.

Look for example, at this page from issue 11:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Walking-Dead-The-11-p-2-Zombies-in-the-Barn-2004-art-by-Charlie-Adlard-/321016244309?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4abe0f2855

The fence to barn angle is pretty bad.

Maybe he was still getting used to the series, or maybe he was rushed with that issue - but either way, thats a prime example of BAD Adlard art, very early on.

As for the story....Kirkman dropped the ball a long time ago....there is SO much more to expand on in his universe...he did such a great job creating the field, and for so long, he has limited it to a small stadium..

Its time for a spin-off!

Adlard did some fantastic work in recent issues also. Notably, the pages from issues 80-85 are GREAT. Lots of nice zombie action cuts. (I am a bit biased, as I happen to own a lot of them lol)

Adlard has always been masterful with his shadowing and setting the mood with his use of light.

Fair enough Jerry. There are some great pages from that area, you aren't being biased either.

Whenever you see Adlard fail as an artist, its either because he was rushed, or he messed up the perspectives.

I don't think that he ever fails as an artist, he just sometimes doesn't draw to his full potential.

All in all though, I don't want want to come across as bashing his work, I just think that his better work from earlier in the series overshadows his other work later on. Deep down, I love his art and I love the pages that I own and I think that it's pretty amazing that he's been as consistent as he's been for almost 10 years.