• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,454 posts in this topic

It's astounding how big of a drop that B&W 100 Sketch cover has had. Looking forward to picking one of these up slabbed soonish. $55 is a STEAL.

Yeah, I am thrilled I presold all my copies at close to eBay highs.

I will eventually buy one 9.8 SS doubled signed for less than I sold any of those raw.

Looks like Watkiss is going to have an art of Walking Dead gallery showing in LA in a few weeks.

http://www.gallerynucleus.com/gallery/exhibition/348#.UJbPlLd5mc2

Love to be there.

(Jerry wanna fly to LA and turn that town upside down?) :devil:

Jim

whoa this place is like 10 mins away from, so going there!!

Just got back from Long Beach Comic Con - Managed to score several WD bargains :)

Several missing variants and WD Weekly 1 + 2

Always feels good to score a deal especially when everything else there WD related was so over-priced!

define bargain?

examples would be nice :)

#33 2nd Print - Blue Cover $35.00

#50 - Erik Larsen Variant Cover $25.00

#78 - Long Beach Comic Con 2009 Cover $20.00

#88 - Fan Expo Canada 2011 Cover $20.00

#94 - Comic Expo MVP Variant Cover $75.00

#100 - Charlie Adlard Wraparound Black & White Variant Cover $55.00

Ian

Sweet deals!

Looks like Watkiss is going to have an art of Walking Dead gallery showing in LA in a few weeks.

Love to be there.

Jim

whoa this place is like 10 mins away from, so going there!!

Hmm.. LA...I'm D :)

I emailed John and asked about whats being shown, maybe he will give me some pics for me to post :)

edit:

andddd he wrote back --

twd1t.jpg

That is the sketch, to the painted piece, he will display, in size A2, and will be asking a cool $1,250.00

Jim, I am going to PM you :gossip:

Edited by Jerry S

I'm genuinely surprised at some of the outrage over the #106 cover auction.

There seems to be an idea that Mark/Charlie have some sort of obligation to keep the price of art low and affordable - this is ludicrous. They both make their living making/selling art and have an obvious interest in achieving the biggest price. If that means that only a few, very wealthy collectors have access to it, so what? Why wouldn't they be trying to "extract as much cash as fast as possible"? That's not a bad thing - it's the only sensible thing to do if you are an OA seller. Have to say it's pretty funny that they plan to charge an extra $50 shipping on top of a $10k plus purchase, but there you go.

I also find it amusing that a few people seem to fancy themselves better businessmen than someone whose job it is to sell artwork. Clearly they feel that this auction format will work better, otherwise they wouldn't be using it. They've done blind auctions before and they've done eBay auctions before, so it's not like it's a stab in the dark.

$10k isn't "ridiculous", it's not "too high" and it's not "out of control". There are people out there willing to pay this much and they will do it. It's completely unrealistic for the average fan on the street to own it, but then we can't all drive Ferraris.

I wonder how many of the people doing the complaining care at all that kids with limited pocket money can't afford to build a collection of WD back issues because of the inflated prices... which a lot of sellers benefit from.

Two other things that grated with me about the previous posts, and then this rantrant is over: it's not for any individual to judge whether there are "better" things to spend one's money on. And secondly, Mark never said that the crease didn't affect the value of the art - he said it didn't affect the art itself - so calling him out for doing that is a bit silly.

It's a great cover, and I hope they get a great price for it.

Of course any seller or artist can ask what ever price they want for their work. That is their right to do so.

However it is also other people's rights to call such asking prices unrealistic.

Just saying.

You guys do speak English right? Because the last time I checked we (the ones who spell it Colour) were born and breed in England, the land were the language was derived. Does that not tell you that maybe, just maybe, it is us that are right and you that are wrong. Just a thought because England and the English Language (in our form) has been around a lot longer than the United States of America. 2c

No offence intended as even I use Americanisms on occasions :kidaround:

Any yet your whole country buys are mispelled comic books, watch our movies, and use our forums. :whistle:

Actually you guys get some of our movies first. :frustrated:

You guys do speak English right? Because the last time I checked we (the ones who spell it Colour) were born and breed in England, the land were the language was derived. Does that not tell you that maybe, just maybe, it is us that are right and you that are wrong. Just a thought because England and the English Language (in our form) has been around a lot longer than the United States of America. 2c

Any yet your whole country buys are mispelled comic books, watch our movies, and use our forums. :whistle:

Our :facepalm:

Edit: After using the facepalm icon I now hate myself for using it and swear to never use it again!

Edited by buddymagoo

whatever guys, i was going to write out a whole long thing...but your right, its time to get back to real life...its chiefs chargers, and its not particularly interesting, but ive got the chiefs for a lunch bet tomorrow

enjoy your evenings gentlemen. and for the record, not mad, upset, angry, or anything else, i couldnt be happier..my lifes great.

My god maybe you shouldn't comment on the Walking Dead marketpace then if you are this bad with money. lol

Joke

Our :facepalm:

Edit: After using the facepalm icon I now hate myself for using it and swear to never use it again!

lol I am the worst speller in the world, but that one was planned.

Love to be there.

Jim

....or maybe Jimbo you could come visit me in San Diego then have a short 1-2 hours drive up to LA. :baiting:

My god maybe you shouldn't comment on the Walking Dead marketpace then if you are this bad with money. lol

Joke

lol i was given a 10 point spread.....i thought it reasonable ....of course i am regretting sitting leshoure and luck, and starting morris and rape-burger :(

Edited by Jerry S

Love to be there.

Jim

hm

This is not so far from me. Thanks for the heads up, Jim.

I have come to the conclusion that Walking Dead comics in all it's over-hyped glory might have hit the proverbial money wall.

I am finally convinced that it is time to sell all my Walking Dead comic books that include WD 1 2 19 27 all in CGC 9.8 to make the FREE money on the issues before the realistic market value of these books finally kicks in. I recommend that to everyone here to do the same thing if you are waiting to determine the best time to sell.

Walking Dead #1 isn't rare what so ever.

CGC Census of Walking Dead #1 as of 11/04/2012: 1129 total copes graded

CGC 9.9: 10 :eyeroll:

CGC 9.8: 446 Wow uber rare

CGC 9.6: 364

CGC 9.4: 164

CGC 9.2: 65

So there is still room for what about 6000 more copies out there raw?

After the prison arc the comic book has been pretty lackluster, and the show may be no different.

Walking Dead #1 will always be the biggest modern book of our lifetime, but logic has to become reality eventually and see more realistic values to show the true values of these issues giving the supply in the coming 2-3 years if not sooner.

Is there a ton of Walking Dead fans out there? Heck Yea, but there was a lot of Sopranos, Lost, and other such popular shows with a die-hard fans base as well. When the show ended so did the hype. (shrug) Most fans of the show probably do not even know what Walking Dead #1 sells for in any grade.

My point is when the show is over and all the Walking Dead #1's, 27's, 19's come to light there will be more than enough issues to go around for any collector of the comic series do get their hands on at a realistic price.

IMO 5 years from now once the show is over Walking Dead #1 CGC 9.8 will be selling around $500.00 and you have to take into effect just how many more #1's will also be added to that CGC census in the years to come.

Now Walking OA that is a case by case scenario, but 10k for that Charlie Adlard cover. Good Luck with that cause if I had 10K to spend on WD OA I would at least put it towards a Tony Moore art page, but that is just me.

Case in point here guys I feel all of us if you wanted to could sell all your Walking Dead issues now and buy them back at a much lower price in the not to decent future. Again Just my opinion, but that is exactly what I am going to do for sure.

I do agree with Evilash that (myself included) this thread has become all about the money instead of the love of the Walking Dead comic. So after what I just wrote above I am going to try going forward to not bring just money matter up when Walking Dead is concerned in this thread in my future postings.

So with that being said I am very excited for Episode #4 tonight as I heard it might be the most intense one of the show so far. Excited tomorrow to see what you guys have to say. :popcorn:

PS--Philip please watch the episode first so you don't get all upset that I do not use the spoiler tag. :jokealert:

SOT

Joke

lol i was given a 10 point spread.....i thought it reasonable ....of course i am regretting sitting leshoure and luck, and starting morris and rape-burger :(

Okay okay 10 point spread makes more sense. ;)

Yes, the sky IS falling!

please have the balls to list your CGC Slabs as true auctions, starting at 99 cents with free S&H

lol Skys are not falling just back to earth is all.

Haven't decided might do a fixed price with submit best offer for 1 and 2, but the rest .99c and see yea later time. Especially with all the 19's and 27's I have.