• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,454 posts in this topic

First off, Jerry is one of the most passionate WD OA collectors on the boards. He mentioned that you can get better pieces on the secondary market than you can from Mark for better prices. No malice in that, I guarantee that if you put up most of the pages from 105 you will not recoup your investment. People will buy from Mark because of his reputation and people like buying from the source. I have no problem with any price he can get, and I would rather see it in Mr. Adlards pocket than anyone else's. The pricing has passed flipper prices, and now is in monopoly pricing. All the power to him, but it just isn't in line with secondary market values.

Jim

Does anyone ever see pages (no matter how plain or boring) go for less than $150 anywhere?

not now...

but I would think Mark would accept an offer of $125 from you on this :P

http://splashpageart.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=19689&ArtistId=84&Details=0&Mag=Walking+Dead&From=TDetail

(@retro nice)

First off, Jerry is one of the most passionate WD OA collectors on the boards. He mentioned that you can get better pieces on the secondary market than you can from Mark for better prices. No malice in that, I guarantee that if you put up most of the pages from 105 you will not recoup your investment. People will buy from Mark because of his reputation and people like buying from the source. I have no problem with any price he can get, and I would rather see it in Mr. Adlards pocket than anyone else's. The pricing has passed flipper prices, and now is in monopoly pricing. All the power to him, but it just isn't in line with secondary market values.

Jim

Does anyone ever see pages (no matter how plain or boring) go for less than $150 anywhere?

not now...

http://splashpageart.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=19689&ArtistId=84&Details=0&Mag=Walking+Dead&From=TDetail

(@retro nice)

I've tried to negotiate with Mark as a repeat customer, and even when you are willing to spend more than $1000 he is now willing to budge 5-10%. I think that WD OA is so hot right now that he just does not need to negotiate with anyone but just wait out the market and eventually he will get his price.

Thanks Garf. I got that piece for $250. Cheapest page I bought and I love the scene. Jerry has mentioned to me that that piece is nice for the price. I love the depth and scenery just as Jerry has mentioned to me. It depicts a time when things might be looking up and then all hell breaks loose just like the story. I feel strongly that I paid a good price and Adlard signed it. Most pages now on splash art are NOT signed by Adlard and that sux.

Interesting... afaik installments are hard to get too on TWD. I think I'm done with it though. For the current prices there are a lot of other books to choose from that are seriously well put together and thankfully don't attract so much hype.

Long wait until #106. Thinking we are in for another slow burn for a couple of issues. I am still left wondering what Kirkman is going to pull come the 10th year of the comic (apart from the ultra secret, holo foil, wrap around, gate fold, 1:3500, pop up, poltergeist, signed in blood, sealed, all black variant). Negan has to go without a real showdown until then surely?

edit: @retro. if you don't mind waiting for up to a year you could try asking Mark to hold pages for you to get signed at a con. Sigs have never really bothered me on pages, I can take 'em or leave 'em. Makes no odds as long as they don't interfere with the art.

Edited by Garf

Jim

not now...

(@retro nice)

that page was $100 at NYCC

Jim

lol I logged in, saw my name and

Thankfully no drama. Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays to all!

Jim

not now...

(@retro nice)

I saw that page. I would pay $75-85 for it, but not more, esp when for the same price, i can get a page with a great shot of rick or one with a great shot of abraham.

Edited by Hawkman

not now...

(@retro nice)

it was $75 about 8 months go at splashpage...I always had a soft spot for it because of the first panel..

ah fark im as bit tipsy and i bogled the message but you all get the poijnt!

goodnight!

Edited by Jerry S

not now...

(@retro nice)

it was $75 about 8 months go at splashpage...I always had a soft spot for it because of the first panel..

See my above post. I also love that first panel. I would buy it for $75, but not $150 or anywhere near $150.

i cant imagine what it was like collecting all things WD last year!

Oh just like this year really - just knock an 0 off the end of the price.

See the GPA for TWD #1 - Hate to have sold 18 months ago - yikes!

Better yet, imagine what it was like when i first started. I once had 19 copies of WD #19. never paid more than $15 for any of them. I bought my #50 variant for $5.99 in san diego. Went to wondercon one year and every WD book at one booth was half price. Full price was $4. The books? 8-18, 23-28, & 32-35. Already had multiples of each one. But i bought 'em anyway. My first copy of #2 (2nd print) i got for $3. Shoot, i had 3 copies of #33 (2nd print) all bought for cover....etc etc etc.

Edited by Hawkman

Better yet, imagine what it was like when i first started. I once had 19 copies of WD #19. never paid more than $15 for any of them. I bought my #50 variant for $5.99 in san diego. Went to wondercon one year and every WD book at one booth was half price. Full price was $4. The books? 8-18, 23-28, & 32-35. Already had multiples of each one. But i bought 'em anyway....etc etc etc.

hope you held on to SOME of them at least! lol

Better yet, imagine what it was like when i first started. I once had 19 copies of WD #19. never paid more than $15 for any of them. I bought my #50 variant for $5.99 in san diego. Went to wondercon one year and every WD book at one booth was half price. Full price was $4. The books? 8-18, 23-28, & 32-35. Already had multiples of each one. But i bought 'em anyway....etc etc etc.

hope you held on to SOME of them at least! lol

Ive never owned #3. Everything else ive had. I still have most of them. I sold every multiple. What you see in my sig is what i sold. Right now, i have 7-105 minus 19,27,48,61&63. Ive got every 2nd print except #2/#33. Still have #50 variant with the price tag on it. Still have all my OA except the one splashpage i sold from #66. Still have my season one press kit (american and south american). Still have all my serbians (including 5 of the 50 copies of #2 black/white). I miss my full run, but those books got me thru tough times and now ive rebounded.

Edited by Hawkman