• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,455 posts in this topic

Yeah - I have come to realize that people have special affinities for particular characters or scenes -- myself, I like Glenn and am always willing to pay a premium for a cool Glenn page..

I find it very difficult to gauge the market for WD art now - prices are so varied for such odd reasons..

For example - I recently picked up that partial splash of lunchtime at the zombie exhibit for $1000, meanwhile that Jesus page sells for $1400, and personally I wouldn't have paid Mark's asking price of $400~ 6 months ago..(something about how Jesus is kicking just always bothered me)

Edited by Jerry S

It is relative. I feel that I could get 2 pages over just 1 for less money and the story behind those scenes are awesome. Rick & Co. are taking fire from Negans crew, and Jesus slips away like a f***ing ninja and there's still baby walkers in the background. I love these pages. But if I had it like that, I swear I would buy every page out there for sale, I swear I would. I would monopolize the art!!!! lol

Yeah - I have come to realize that people have special affinities for particular characters or scenes -- myself, I like Glenn and am always willing to pay a premium for a cool Glenn page..

I find it very difficult to gauge the market for WD art now - prices are so varied for such odd reasons..

For example - I recently picked up that partial splash of lunchtime at the zombie exhibit for $1000, meanwhile that Jesus page sells for $1400, and personally I wouldn't have paid Mark's asking price of $400~ 6 months ago..(something about how Jesus is kicking just always bothered me)

It's an interesting page. Has well above average walker art, lead characters, action-a-plenty and a first real pop at martial arts which makes it a bit quirky. Definitely didn't think it would go for this much but thought it would do well. It doesn't beg too many questions though, ticks all the boxes for some people. I'd say it's the kind of page you could be very happy with if you only wanted to own one. Granted we have seen a lot of pages fly past this month. Some older ones going for reasonable prices... but they haven't had as much going for them content-wise.

TWD must be bringing a lot more people into the realm of OA than the market usually sees and it's going to ripple across the book at times. The large influx of newcomers :hi: are going to be mostly unpredictable so good luck with guaging things bud.... but it's not the only thing. The OA for #105 has been out for 14 days. This is over the Christmas and New Year period when people are usually pretty busy doing things other than collecting, and yet there are only 9 out of the 18 listings offered available (and 6 other pages sold). That's pretty good going! :applause: Then you have to consider what is left versus what there is demand for. Good and above average TWD OA is pretty much the hottest property in the middle ground right now and still has some legs.

( TBH I was more shocked by "7 offers"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIGINAL-WALKING-DEAD-95-PG-6-CHARLIE-ADLARD-COMIC-ART-PAGE-RARE-/190668584582?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c64bbb686 )

It's an interesting page. Has well above average walker art, lead characters, action-a-plenty and a first real pop at martial arts which makes it a bit quirky. Definitely didn't think it would go for this much but thought it would do well. It doesn't beg too many questions though, ticks all the boxes for some people. I'd say it's the kind of page you could be very happy with if you only wanted to own one. Granted we have seen a lot of pages fly past this month. Some older ones going for reasonable prices... but they haven't had as much going for them content-wise.

TWD must be bringing a lot more people into the realm of OA than the market usually sees and it's going to ripple across the book at times. The large influx of newcomers :hi: are going to be mostly unpredictable so good luck with guaging things bud.... but it's not the only thing. The OA for #105 has been out for 14 days. This is over the Christmas and New Year period when people are usually pretty busy doing things other than collecting, and yet there are only 9 out of the 18 listings offered available (and 6 other pages sold). That's pretty good going! :applause: Then you have to consider what is left versus what there is demand for. Good and above average TWD OA is pretty much the hottest property in the middle ground right now and still has some legs.

( TBH I was more shocked by "7 offers"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIGINAL-WALKING-DEAD-95-PG-6-CHARLIE-ADLARD-COMIC-ART-PAGE-RARE-/190668584582?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c64bbb686 )

Me too....2 guys that aren't key (I don't even know who they are) with spears looking over a wall for $479???? No thanks....Maybe $150

Check this out. At first I thought it was for the OA. But then I soon realized it wasn't so I got sad. This reminds me of the girl who used her body to sell WD books. Same concept if you ask me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Walking-Dead-HC-Volumes-1-8-SEALED-1st-PRINTS-Plus-WD-Covers-HC-/130827340545?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item1e75eacb01

So I have a general question for this community of Walking Dead collectors.

With more than 100 issues out now, and 30+ variants, second prints ect., how many of you are completists?

All of the variants drive me CRAZY!! I love me some Walking Dead, but trying to track down the various variants has proved quite a task. For example both labels for WD1 (white/black), 2nd prints for WD 2,3,7 & 8. Color variants for 34 etc.

How many people have gone through the exercise of tracking down every Walking Dead book, with the exception of 1 of a kind copies with sketch art?

With more than 100 issues out now, and 30+ variants, second prints ect., how many of you are completists?

All of the variants drive me CRAZY!! I love me some Walking Dead, but trying to track down the various variants has proved quite a task. For example both labels for WD1 (white/black), 2nd prints for WD 2,3,7 & 8. Color variants for 34 etc.

How many people have gone through the exercise of tracking down every Walking Dead book, with the exception of 1 of a kind copies with sketch art?

My guess, not many. I consider myself a die hard and a completist, but obtaining EVERY book is no easy feat. Especially now with the spike in prices. It's a money game now. If you've got the cash...sure, easy. If not...gonna take some time to earn that achievement.

My guess, not many. I consider myself a die hard and a completist, but obtaining EVERY book is no easy feat. Especially now with the spike in prices. It's a money game now. If you've got the cash...sure, easy. If not...gonna take some time to earn that achievement.

Currently I am only missing #7 2nd print, 100 1:200 b/w cover.

I've gone to great lengths over the last 3 years to track down as many variants as possible, however I wonder if there is not a current price bubble in modern book pricing and whether the bottom will drop out eventually.

I've only been back into collecting for about 3 years and what a time to get back in!

TBH - I have sold pretty much all my raw copies - except the keys and a few strays.

I intend to keep a 9.8 #1 and thats it.

I love TWD - love it.

But I also love a high-grade silver age key - which I had no concept of the pleasure of owning one 1 yr ago - and, honestly - holding a really nice Fantastic Four #52 is a wonderful feeling.

Credit where it is due - without TWD being awesome, and valuable - that would never have happened.

I will always love this comic/show - but besides #1 I feel a 'gold/silver' key will not let me down financially.

I'm still snapping up every cheap #92 I can find though!

If this sound weird - it's not - I really value TWD for getting me back into comics - I will always have all the TPB's and the shows on hard-drive...but I'm really feeling the love for the '60's books i read as i was growing up.

Cathartic moment 101... lol

TBH - I have sold pretty much all my raw copies - except the keys and a few strays.

I intend to keep a 9.8 #1 and thats it.

I love TWD - love it.

But I also love a high-grade silver age key - which I had no concept of the pleasure of owning one 1 yr ago - and, honestly - holding a really nice Fantastic Four #52 is a wonderful feeling.

Credit where it is due - without TWD being awesome, and valuable - that would never have happened.

I will always love this comic/show - but besides #1 I feel a 'gold/silver' key will not let me down financially.

I'm still snapping up every cheap #92 I can find though!

If this sound weird - it's not - I really value TWD for getting me back into comics - I will always have all the TPB's and the shows on hard-drive...but I'm really feeling the love for the '60's books i read as i was growing up.

Cathartic moment 101... lol

While I did not grow up in the wonderful silver age of comics, I do agree with you that the books were better and the stories were better.

Over the last 4 years I built an entire Xmen run (low grade) and picked up Avengers 1, Hulk 1, Xmen 1, Ironman 1, Fantastic Four 1, Thor 126, Captain America 100-112 and Avengers 4!

I still have some key books I really want, and will continue to track them until I buy a copy. Af 15, Spidey 1, Journey Into Mystery 83, Tales of Suspense 39, FF 12, 48-52, Spidey 5, 50 etc, etc.

I love the silver age and will continue to pick up books from time to time.

I have owned a version now of every variant or printing other than the #100 signed retailer variant (won't buy one raw now either since it can't be Sig Series subbed anymore).

If I get an offer on something and it just doesn't make sense to NOT sell it then anything is pretty much for sale. I just sold my #15 CGC 2X signed Sig Series 9.8 which has perfect sig placement and has been framed on my wall but got an offer that I couldn't really refuse. Hopefully I will just find another sharp copy and get it signed and slabbed again this year.

I am kind of bored with collecting WD stuff so now I am looking to get stuff done as Sig Series that is a lot more rare. Stuff with issue #48 in particular. I have multiple 9.8s now that are multi-signed and will be adding a bunch more here shortly signed by the likes of Scott Wilson, Sarah Wayne Callies and others who died in that issue. Plan to add a bunch of Sig Series stuff this year signed by Danai and Morrisey.

ahhh. the age old "will the "value" drop?" question.

of course it will. in the end, it all drops in value, just give it enough time. There are ~8,000 copies of WD1. That's it. They aren't making anymore. Are they fairly easy to attain in "high grade"? absolutely. Are they "rare"? no, not really.

Are Silver Age "Keys" rare? No way in hell. while there may not be a ton of "high grade" silver age keys available (yet), there are plenty to go around. plenty.

please keep that in mind when deciding to "diss" any one aspect of this hobby.

ahhh. the age old "will the "value" drop?" question.

of course it will. in the end, it all drops in value, just give it enough time. There are ~8,000 copies of WD1. That's it. They aren't making anymore. Are they fairly easy to attain in "high grade"? absolutely. Are they "rare"? no, not really.

Are Silver Age "Keys" rare? No way in hell. while there may not be a ton of "high grade" silver age keys available (yet), there are plenty to go around. plenty.

please keep that in mind when deciding to "diss" any one aspect of this hobby.

You replied to my post but I am not sure who is dissing what? The bottom line is what I collect is kewl and what everyone else collects is poop. Isn't that how the saying goes on these boards?

:insane:

I really do hope that WD #1s come way down in price so I can pick up a couple more copies.

no, my response was in general, not directed towards anyone in particular.

Ok, I thought it was a general response. Really though I am gonna hate on your collecting habits, collecting Walking Dead stuff is a waste of time and money. You should focus on collecting the cool stuff like I do, in particular Walking Dead stuff, oh wait nevermind.

lol

On a serious note anyone have any recommendations on what WD comics would be cool to get signed and sig series done on with the sig being Greg Nicotero? So far I am leaning towards a copy of #69 just because the cover is so bad .

Also which covers would you like to see signed by Michonne (Danai Guirera)? I am leaning towards so far #31,33,72,86,92 the #94 Image Expo variant and the #100 Ottley Variant (possibly a Comixology copy also). I wouldn't mind getting her sig on a #19 but don't know if it would be worth it or not to tie up the cost of a 9.8 to do this.

I'm sure I'm in the minority but I only collect the regular issue. I'm not into second prints, variants, CGC yellow since I'm not a big fan of people writing their names on a comic. Besides the last variant(102 or 103?) I don't have one in my collection. I'm trying to put together a CGC 9.8 run(blue) so therefore I am somewhat of a completist but I draw the line on multiple covers, which IMO is a big scam.

I'm sure I'm in the minority but I only collect the regular issue. I'm not into second prints, variants, CGC yellow since I'm not a big fan of people writing their names on a comic. Besides the last variant(102 or 103?) I don't have one in my collection. I'm trying to put together a CGC 9.8 run(blue) so therefore I am somewhat of a completist but I draw the line on multiple covers, which IMO is a big scam.

I can understand this view and was the same way at first. I would at least recommend getting #33 2nd print if you can just because the blue background on it is very nice.